Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help! DID X-ring chain (Is this normal?)  (Read 452 times)

Offline sk8norcal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SAN JOSE
Help! DID X-ring chain (Is this normal?)
« on: December 07, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
Bought a D.I.D 520 VX2 (112 links)  plus JT 16T sprocket (JTF1381-16RB)
Bike has 10k miles.

My first time doing chain replacement.

One thing I noticed about this chain is the "bushing"

One side of the inner link is flush, the other side has protrusion from the bushing.

Is this normal?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:30:59 AM by sk8norcal »

Offline sk8norcal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SAN JOSE
Re: Help! DID X-ring chain (Is this normal?)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »
 BTW, I will be using a clip-style master link.

Offline CalmBiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2015
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »
I've just put a new DID on my CB500X and I didn't notice a lip. That's not to say it wasn't there but I didn't spot it. I used a rivet link chain but both were in the bag so I doubt that applies.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »
I put a DID-VX2 on my bike.  Your chain looks normal to me.  The o-rings you will install when putting on the master link will space the side plates out beyond those small protrusions. 

BTW, I also use the clip-on master link.  Be sure to slather up the master link pins and o-rings really good with the supplied grease!  Pack as much grease in there as you reasonably can.  Also, be sure the open end of the clip faces the rear to the normal direction of chain travel.  After you get it all together, check the master link clip after each ride for awhile and then be sure to look at it each time you lube the chain.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Samsgrandad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Langport
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
I understood that the clip type master link is not recommended for chains of this size and it is always best to use a riveted master link.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
The DID-VX2 is supplied with the clip master link and is rated for up to 750cc bikes.  The 500X is very much well within the design limits of this chain with the clip master link.  Other brands of chain may be more limited.

There are peoples opinions on matters like this, and there are manufacturer published engineering specifications.  I prefer to go with the published specs...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:22:43 PM by SnowOwl »
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Samsgrandad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Langport
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
 Snow owl, I was going by the information provided in the Haynes workshop manual which reads :- "Warning : NEVER fit a drive chain that uses a clip type master (split) link. Use ONLY the correct service tools to secure the staked-type of master link - if you do not have access to such tools, have the chain replaced by a Honda dealer"

Offline htctom

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 11:29:28 PM »
The first time I changed the chain I read all sorts of conflicting reviews about split links and decided it would be fine for a low power bike like ours. It was fine for over 3000 miles then one day while oiling the chain I noticed the clip was missing, I can only assume a stone had flicked up and dislodged the clip. A local garage will only charge a few quid to fit a rivet link and you know for certain theres no chance of the chain coming apart. Although Im sure theres plenty of people who have never had a problem I personally wouldnt fit a rivet link again.

Offline CalmBiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2015
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
The DID-VX2 is supplied with the clip master link and is rated for up to 750cc bikes.  The 500X is very much well within the design limits of this chain with the clip master link.  Other brands of chain may be more limited.

There are peoples opinions on matters like this, and there are manufacturer published engineering specifications.  I prefer to go with the published specs...

I went with a rivet type because that's what the Honda service manual says that you must use one and DID say that if your bike starts with a rivet type you should continue using one. My DID VX2 chain came with both types of connecting link. That's not the reason for my reply though.

I find the idea of working from engine size bizarre - I wonder why chain manufacturers still do it. The torque from some 750cc engines could be much lower than that of some 500cc engines (perhaps not the CB500X's though!) You would think there was a better way of doing it. That said, I don't really understand why it would matter because the clip shouldn't be under any particular tension anyway if fitted correctly. Has anyone got any good information about this?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:25:59 AM by CalmBiker »

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »
I've used a clip link on more powerful, larger capacity bikes than the X without a problem......
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Recent Topics