Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Drive chain cover, can I leave it off?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
Re: Drive chain cover, can I leave it off?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Why don't you use the markings on the chain adjusters for alignment?

I started riding in 1960; the stamped indicators back then were not very reliable either.  Let's just say that I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't trust that the stamped markings are accurate, and I prefer re-checking alignment after tightening the axle bolt.  Belt and suspenders.....
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Bat7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 12:05:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by gregjet [+]
A guard will help reduce the probability of the chain smashing up the cases if it breaks, by guiding it to wrap around the CS and then out, but it isn't guaranteed.
. . .
So ...not necessary buit can be helpful. Not that hard to remove if you mod the front retainer for quick release.
FWIW, when the master link on my bike failed and the chain came off while traveling at about 80 mph the chain guard was destroyed but there was no other damage.
Mick

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
I started riding in 1960; the stamped indicators back then were not very reliable either.  Let's just say that I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't trust that the stamped markings are accurate, and I prefer re-checking alignment after tightening the axle bolt.  Belt and suspenders.....

nothing curmudgeonly about that....belt and suspenders Yes, socks and sandals...er.....No :001:

I knew a guy who rode an old CB 750 four with a bent swingarm....he still insisted on using the marks :008:

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: SW Washington
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 08:48:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far, quite useful!

Currently, I'm without a rear stand and without a motorcycle lift, so it's a royal pain in the posterior to do anything on a bike. I'm rolling it through the garage in neutral to make sure I get the whole chain and by removing the cover, I can reach a lot more with less moving around.

Drilling a hole in the foot peg bracket to access the front bolt seems OK on the 2013, as it's rear to where the peg sits and it seems outside of the main structural area of the bracket. Not sure I want to go that route.

I'll try next time to just do the rear bolt and lift the cover, see how it holds up. Or buy a lift and stand before my next cleaning.  :002:

edit: Regarding the chain coming off, I'm planning to replace with rivets only, so that could be less of an issue.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:49:49 PM by Hillie »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 02:45:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
Thanks for the responses so far, quite useful!

Currently, I'm without a rear stand and without a motorcycle lift, so it's a royal pain in the posterior to do anything on a bike. I'm rolling it through the garage in neutral to make sure I get the whole chain and by removing the cover, I can reach a lot more with less moving around.

Drilling a hole in the foot peg bracket to access the front bolt seems OK on the 2013, as it's rear to where the peg sits and it seems outside of the main structural area of the bracket. Not sure I want to go that route.

I'll try next time to just do the rear bolt and lift the cover, see how it holds up. Or buy a lift and stand before my next cleaning.  :002:

edit: Regarding the chain coming off, I'm planning to replace with rivets only, so that could be less of an issue.

you could try tilting it over on the sidestand just enough to lift the back wheel off....and enlisting the help of a glamorous assistant to do the necessary

not a fan of split links...had too many let go on my mountain bike -usually up hill, usually painful :161:

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 06:03:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
you could try tilting it over on the sidestand just enough to lift the back wheel off....and enlisting the help of a glamorous assistant to do the necessary

It might help my glamorous assistant to understand why I really want a motorcycle lift.  :002:

Online catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
It might help my glamorous assistant to understand why I really want a motorcycle lift.  :002:

That is such a good idea - perfectly timed for the 'giving' season :152:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »

make sure you really, really struggle...she'll get the picture :008:

With christmas just around the corner, if you're in the market for a great stand, rather than a pair of paddock types, I can highly recommend the Abba stand....it'll set you back about 120 UK, which seems pricey compared to the aforementioned, but I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
I bit that particular bullet and now my paddock stands are gathering dust

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
make sure you really, really struggle...she'll get the picture :008:

If I struggle too much, she might decide it's good for me. No, I'll just have to ask her to hold the bike up and walk it around. She doesn't ride, so she isn't really used to the weight and such.

With christmas just around the corner, if you're in the market for a great stand, rather than a pair of paddock types, I can highly recommend the Abba stand....it'll set you back about 120 UK, which seems pricey compared to the aforementioned, but I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
I bit that particular bullet and now my paddock stands are gathering dust

I'll check it out. Here in the US there's the Pit Bull brand, which seems to be of high quality and popular. A decent stand combined with a table lift would be ideal.

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 11:17:43 PM »
Ah, just looked at the Abba site. I may have seen this before but forgot the name, thank you! It looks interesting!

Recent Topics