Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Drive chain cover, can I leave it off?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: SW Washington
Drive chain cover, can I leave it off?
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:41:44 PM »
I don't take my bike off road, and I'm thinking of just leaving that plastic doohickey off. Yes, it'll shield the chain, but it's very annoying that one of its bolts is blocked off by the foot peg bracket. Do folks drill a hole in that, just leave the plastic cover off, or do the whole mounting thing every time? It means the side panel and foot peg need to come off to be able to open up the chain a bit better for cleaning. Any big disadvantages I need to keep in mind in case I decide to leave it off?

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: Drive chain cover, can I leave it off?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:57:08 PM »
I'm not sure why you need to remove the chain cover for cleaning, I just clean it from the bottom run of the chain. I've never needed to remove the cover to clean, align or even replace, the chain. With that said, you can certainly take it off shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind though, you may get a bit of chain lube flinging around though depending on what type you use, careful it doesn't get on your tire.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:50:07 PM »
Considering the crap that collects in there during normal use, as HD rightly points out, that crap has to go somewhere...probably over your boots  :012:. Plus there's the psychological concern of having an unprotected chain and sprocket razzing around inches from your foot  :008: not that the plastic cover would protect you any better in the highly unlikely event that should something let go

Its a bad design, I agree....drilling the footpeg bracket to gain access to that bolt may be feasible, but any hole will have to be big enough to accommodate a slimline 8mm socket. It shouldn't weaken the bracket significantly. Have a good long stare at the problem....there may be another solution...post back when you've come up with it  :028: you're right, it's an arse doing that job

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »
To access the chain better I just undo the rear bolt on the chain guard and pivot it up on the front bolt.  I also have a 6" bungie cord to hook to it and to the rear rack frame to hold the chain guard up out of the way.  No need to remove the front bolt.  The bolt has a shoulder that prevents it from fully tightening down on the plastic chain guard to prevent crushing it.  This makes it possible to pivot the chain guard on the bolt without loosening it.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 02:42:12 AM »
I remove the chain guard every time I replace a rear tire, chain, or sprocket(s).  I use the motion pro alignment guide to check rear wheel alignment after accessing any of those parts, so I need the chain guard to be removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAHSt_oV8jI
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline sk8norcal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SAN JOSE
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 05:21:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
so I need the chain guard to be removed.

How do you remove the chain guard?
I removed the 2 bolts on the outside of the swingarm, but couldn't figure out the inside part.

Offline sk8norcal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SAN JOSE
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 05:24:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
I don't take my bike off road, and I'm thinking of just leaving that plastic doohickey off. Yes, it'll shield the chain, but it's very annoying that one of its bolts is blocked off by the foot peg bracket. Do folks drill a hole in that, just leave the plastic cover off, or do the whole mounting thing every time? It means the side panel and foot peg need to come off to be able to open up the chain a bit better for cleaning. Any big disadvantages I need to keep in mind in case I decide to leave it off?

I read some have cut the top rear half of the chain guard off for easier access.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
I remove the chain guard every time I replace a rear tire, chain, or sprocket(s).  I use the motion pro alignment guide to check rear wheel alignment after accessing any of those parts, so I need the chain guard to be removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAHSt_oV8jI

Why don't you use the markings on the chain adjusters for alignment?

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Why don't you use the markings on the chain adjusters for alignment?

They are not accurate on my bike nor the other CB bikes I have worked on.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »
Many countries require a chain guard by law on bikes being sold for road use. Some actually require it for registration.
Considering that they are weak plastic, they aren't going to be all that good at protecting from a whipping chain , but they do stop crap being chucked everywhere, although almost of that will come from where the chain changes direction ( ie the two sprockets).
A guard will help reduce the probability of the chain smashing up the cases if it breaks, by guiding it to wrap around the CS and then out, but it isn't guaranteed.
Track bikes don't usually have them on, but the chains tend to be in perfect condition and less likely to break.
On off road bikes where there is large suspension travel they help to keep the chain on the sprockets on rough stuff.
So ...not necessary buit can be helpful. Not that hard to remove if you mod the front retainer for quick release.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage