Basic Search



Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Deer Crossing  (Read 1028 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline UnmzldOx

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 325
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
Deer Crossing
« on: December 14, 2018, 08:02:39 PM »
Too close. I'l post video on YT when I have time. Going 60 mph on morning commute.

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 619
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
That'll negate your need for coffee. Glad it was just close.

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 11:27:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
Too close. I'l post video on YT when I have time. Going 60 mph on morning commute.

Who's the one with the red nose in the background?

Offline UnmzldOx

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 325
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 03:00:27 AM »
It's the same Rudolf in each frame. Middle, bottom, then top. My video software (Sony) isn't playing well with Win8 today, so no edited video until resolved.

Offline ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1651
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 07:43:56 AM »
One of my biggest fears. I hit a deer when I was 16 in my first car. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was on a bike.

Offline bullroarer

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 137
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
One of my biggest fears. I hit a deer when I was 16 in my first car. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was on a bike.
Me too. These animals are a real pain, and there are more than ever and so many cars have been wrecked as a result, fortunately no bikers that Im aware of.
  Trouble is , they jump across the roads between the hedges , and being the colour of the forest they appear invisible.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline Herman

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 103
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »
And they oft travel in a family unit so where the mum goes the two younguns follow. 

Offline SnowOwl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1367
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »
Rule #1 - NEVER CROSS A DEER !!!  They are easily offended.

A couple weeks ago I was heading home from work after dark.  On a winding county road I came out of a nice right curve to see several deer right at the right edge of the road.  It looked like they had just crossed, their butts were toward the road, and the lead deer had stopped to find the opening into the dense brush.  The other 3 deer were tightly bunched up behind the lead deer.  As I rounded the curve at 60+ mph and lit them up they laid their ears back.  Luckily there was no other traffic on the road, so I let off the throttle and moved over to the other side of the road.  The rear-most deer turned toward me and froze.  I think it was my very bright aux lighting with a total of 6000 lumens that triggered the freeze response in the deer.  They were lit up like daylight and deer tend to freeze for a moment when they cant see.  They stayed frozen until I was passed them, thank God!

A BMW rider I know with lots of lights on his bike told me about this freeze response he has seen in the deer when he encounters them at night.  I had put the lights on my bike shortly after talking to him.  So glad I did, it really works, at least around here.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 06:33:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
Rule #1 - NEVER CROSS A DEER !!!  They are easily offended.

A couple weeks ago I was heading home from work after dark.  On a winding county road I came out of a nice right curve to see several deer right at the right edge of the road.  It looked like they had just crossed, their butts were toward the road, and the lead deer had stopped to find the opening into the dense brush.  The other 3 deer were tightly bunched up behind the lead deer.  As I rounded the curve at 60+ mph and lit them up they laid their ears back.  Luckily there was no other traffic on the road, so I let off the throttle and moved over to the other side of the road.  The rear-most deer turned toward me and froze.  I think it was my very bright aux lighting with a total of 6000 lumens that triggered the freeze response in the deer.  They were lit up like daylight and deer tend to freeze for a moment when they can’t see.  They stayed frozen until I was passed them, thank God!

A BMW rider I know with lots of lights on his bike told me about this freeze response he has seen in the deer when he encounters them at night.  I had put the lights on my bike shortly after talking to him.  So glad I did, it really works, at least around here.

I remember seeing a video about a guy that was about to fit a deer scare on his Harley....I thought he was either taking the piss or referring to some arcane Harley-based accessory but no....it was a 12v noise emitter that produced a tone that deer find particularly unpleasant. Never heard of them before


Round here we just have the occasional sheep on the moorland roads...they don't give a toss...they just stand there giving you a nonchalant look whilst chewing
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:36:14 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1087
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Deer Crossing
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 06:38:39 PM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QSBY6IM

here's a wind powered one for peanuts...worth a try

I'm now looking for one that policemen find unbearable...

 


Recent Topics