Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Polaroid glasses and the new 2019 LCD screen  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Sulina_77

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: St Julians
Polaroid glasses and the new 2019 LCD screen
« on: March 20, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
Hello, I ordered this bike and overlooked one important element. I cannot drive in the sun without my polarized glasses.

Can someone please confirm if the new dash screen is still readable with the polaroid lenses or if it blackens out.

Thank you.

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
Re: Polaroid glasses and the new 2019 LCD screen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:55:24 PM »
I just sent back a pair of Perscription Polarised sunglasses as I found that they reacted badly with my Nexx XD1 Clear Helmet Visor.  Everything was OK with the visor Up, but as soon as I put it down over the glasses;

- Oncoming car windscreens were like mirrors and I could not see where the drivers were looking
- Vegetation would change colour as it approached
- As I moved my head around a sheen on the road appeared and disappeared.
- Car bodywork paint had a strange ethereal feel to it

I have not heard other people complain about this issue, so I wonder if it is visor specific to my NEXX XD1.  I tested to see if the visor was polarised (remember the Flipped Photon Effect from school?), it is not.   Also, I do not get any visual effect on the visor itself, only objects beyond it.  With the visor up I could read the dash ok, but I have a 2017.

So I would also check if your helmet visor is OK with your chosen glasses as I found the effects too distracting to ride with.

So I bit the bullet and went to Oakley in Covent Garden and ordered a pair of prescription Prizm sunglasses.   The chap upstairs is a motorbiker and understands all the issues.   I took my helmet along and he made me pull all sorts of facial expressions with the helmet and glasses on to make sure the glasses were the right ones for the shape of my head and the shape of the helmet padding.   He also measured my pupil position when wearing the glasses with the helmet on and off.   I should be picking them up this weekend.   Best of all they have interchangeable lenses, so when I feel flush again I can get a different colour prescription lens, or even clear, so I can change on the move.

Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sulina_77 [+]
Hello, I ordered this bike and overlooked one important element. I cannot drive in the sun without my polarized glasses.

Can someone please confirm if the new dash screen is still readable with the polaroid lenses or if it blackens out.

Thank you.

If you have any doubt, I'd suggest that you explain your concern to the dealer and ask if you can suspend the order until you can check against an actual display.

I'm 98% certain (yeah, I'm given to OCD) that the CBR500R and the CB500F both have the same new display, so if the dealer doesn't have an X in stock, you should be ok to check against the display on a demo model (or even one that they've got in for a buyer - you don't have to ride the thing to check) on one of those bikes.

Let us know how you go - it's a good question, and others will likely be interested in the answer.
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 11:24:01 PM »
I remember when I first started motorbiking, quite some time ago, it was suggested to avoid polarized sunglasses when driving or riding, for the reasons mentioned.

Offline CB500X

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
Mine just have a standard anti-reflective coating which seems to work well.

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 05:25:41 PM »
Interesting thread that.
I use Raybans, not sure if they are polarising, dont think they are, but the glasses are excellent for biking. Ensure you buy the genuine article which can be identified by RB etched on the outside of one of the lenses.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline Sulina_77

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 06:17:30 PM »
I always had polarized lenses for driving in the sun. As a matter if fact i keep the visor up most if the time due to the warpiness that some ciaors have with oolaroid lenses. But you het absolute zero glare with the Sun. My bike arrived today, tomorrow I will try them out and will report back ;)

Offline Sulina_77

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »
The screen is polarized lens friendly. It does not blacken out with polaroid lenses and it remained visible. I rotated the polaroid lens 360 degrees, with no effect whatsoever. The quality of the screen is amazing, when you see it in person. So happy, thank you Honda
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:11:32 PM by Sulina_77 »

Offline wildbill

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: orange nsw
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 02:48:27 AM »
No trouble reading the screen with sunnies on the 019 :028:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]

- Oncoming car windscreens were like mirrors and I could not see where the drivers were looking
- Vegetation would change colour as it approached
- As I moved my head around a sheen on the road appeared and disappeared.
- Car bodywork paint had a strange ethereal feel to it

Have you been snacking on the cat treats again....? :008:

Oakley developed a range of eyewear especially for cycle commuters based on military spec eye protection and Polaroid camera lens technology ...they were called 'Paranoids'...they never really caught on. Cyclists assumed other road users hated them....

I'm here all week...at the end of The Pier
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:58:24 PM by Jonathan »

Recent Topics