Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Video: Off-Road training on a 500X  (Read 866 times)

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
Re: Video: Off-Road training on a 500X
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
I agree with you there. I had the same reaction to the log obstacle.  :112:

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 08:36:08 PM »

What great fun.   Reminded me of my trip to Portugal earlier in the year when I kept dropping the bike in the mud.   Broke/Bruised a rib and could not sleep flat in the bed for 2 weeks, so much pain.  Buying a chest protector for my trip to the Spanish and  Moroccan trails next year as I don't want to go through that again.

You should be pleased to know that the bike falls better than I do.   Mind you, I bet the person in the video wishes they had upgraded to the Renthal Fat Bars.

Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 09:44:46 PM »
I'm really struggling to understand why a supposedly professional off road training organization wouldn't insist that he removes his Touring screen before attempting the course, or that the owner wouldn't have thought to do so...he's taken the mirrors off  :027:

and then after he's said I've got to ride this back for work, they proceed to bend his bars back and joke about it. I wouldn't want that on my conscience....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:06:21 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 09:56:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
Wrong bike error.

Quite an expensive bit of sport - where did his phone go ?

There's no reason the obstacles couldn't have been completed successfully on an X (with decent tyres and enough ground clearance) by a much more skilled rider....

Aside from that, I didn't see much input from the instructors, if that's what they were. I've done shed loads of MTB training with youngsters professionally and Rule number 1 is assess their basic skills and competence and build confidence (and complexity) slowly, in line with their abilities. Seems to me they've just staked out a course and let him fail at considerable risk and expense. Having said that, we didn't get to see any preliminary assessment...Fair play to the guy for having a go, though.

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 02:17:42 AM »
I felt the same frustration watching Ewan McGregor in the first Long Way. Dirt skills might best be learned on a light dirt bike. That takes time enough. I can't imagine getting the hang of it from scratch on a 600 lb GS or even the X. Still, I'd like to try that course with some instruction. My self taught dirt skills from 40 years ago might be all wrong or rusted away. I can still ride in my head, though.

Offline Herman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
I dont think they were instructors to be fair it looked like a turn up and have a go after signing a disclaimer type of affair. Good on him for having a go I guess it comes down to how much you have invested in the bike or are willing to kill. I have done similar but on enduro courses on my S10 and they crash acceptably well.....especially on hill climbs when forgetting to turn off the traction control. DSC00946 by herman munster, on Flickr

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
I felt the same frustration watching Ewan McGregor in the first Long Way. Dirt skills might best be learned on a light dirt bike. That takes time enough. I can't imagine getting the hang of it from scratch on a 600 lb GS or even the X. Still, I'd like to try that course with some instruction. My self taught dirt skills from 40 years ago might be all wrong or rusted away. I can still ride in my head, though.

A few years ago I looked into off road riding classes and there are a few in the northeast that focus on ADV (big fat motorcycle) training. I would be willing to bring my X for such a course. Gotta learn somehow!   :001:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:51:51 PM by ThirtyOne »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Herman [+]
I dont think they were instructors to be fair it looked like a turn up and have a go after signing a disclaimer type of affair. Good on him for having a go I guess it comes down to how much you have invested in the bike or are willing to kill....

I think you're right....but who ever reads the small print? :008: Far better renting some old Serrows out for dirt newbies, but I guess this is more involved in terms of organization (and liability). Think I'm just hyper-vigilant nowadays, from working with kids...and they tend to bounce better than adults when they fall off
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:00:11 PM by Jonathan »

Offline BikerBill

• CB500X Member
  • Returning Biker after 15+yrs
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Herts & Beds
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »
Yep, he has questionable sanity...or a a very big bank balance....

But, a less extreme version of this would be useful for those who have never taken their bike off road before....

Anyone know a farmer with a field we could borrow, could be fun!
If it aint broken, it will break, best learn how to fix it!
Puch 50 (82-83), DR250 (85-87), CB100 (91),  Diversion 900 (91-95)

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by BikerBill [+]
Yep, he has questionable sanity...or a a very big bank balance....

But, a less extreme version of this would be useful for those who have never taken their bike off road before....

Anyone know a farmer with a field we could borrow, could be fun!

There are a few good off-road schools over there in the UK, aren't there?

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage