Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: highway and country road riding  (Read 2627 times)

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
Re: highway and country road riding
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 07:41:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
The group I ride with has some who just blast away, but more who keep together and just let the fast boys go and meet them later!!

When I used to drive in a kit car/sports car club, we always had a rule that nobody was left behind, with a radio between the back and front of the convoy, and everyone watching the person behind them, and making sure they were not falling behind.  It (usually) worked!!

Experience will help, and you'll get used to watching the road surface ahead and riding around any problems - keep at it, you will enjoy it the more you do it...

Yeah, Ive ridden sweep in some group rides. We tried to keep people together when we were out on a longer route and few had GPS. Some people get a litte antsy in the pantsy though.  :008:

Online slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 08:17:52 PM »
I do a mixture of solo, small groups (2-5), medium groups (10-20) and big ride outs (100s to 1,000s).  You need to find a group and group size thats fits with you.

One of the groups I ride with is the London Motorcycle Riders Club.  They grade all their rides and you need to be approved to join the more progressive rides based on previous experience.   They also state what rides are 125cc friendly.  As well as that they organise professional training days to help members improve. 

To me it sounds like you have joined a group of experienced riders that go-for-it, and that is not want you need in the early stages of riding.  Also, track day guys are the ones you need to stay away from as the skills they learn on the track are not always suitable for the road.   I was on a ride last weekend and I started off with a track day star infront of me on some nice big sports bike.  His corner positioning was rubbish, he was overtaking on solid lines and I saw some scary overtakes.  His road riding was so bad the organisers pulled him aside for a chat.

Group ride outs are great fun if you can find the right group, so have a look on the internet and see if there are other groups near you and give them a spin.  Eventually you may find a group that you feel comfortable with. 

In any case, go with your gut when riding.   If you feel under pressure and you are pushing your limits then just back off and stay at the back.  If you start to feel intimidated then just go home part ride. 
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺

Online catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 09:24:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]

In any case, go with your gut when riding .   If you feel under pressure and you are pushing your limits then just back off and stay at the back.  If you start to feel intimidated then just go home part ride.

You might find that no 'group' suits your riding and road experiences - so be happy - you're still alive and able to make your own decisions.

Offline rodr

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 11:27:56 PM »
Greetings from the Coffs Coast!

I've been on and even led a number of group rides, but these days tend to avoid them. Without skilled leadership they will default to group mentality and the associated testosterone poisoning. Best to break off early and do your own thing. With any luck you will find others who take safe riding seriously.

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 12:07:50 PM »
I've never ridden in a group and never intend to. I prefer the solitude a solo ride gives and to me it's one of the reasons for owning a bike. Occasionally I will ride with one other companion, but as they say, "2 is company and 3 is a crowd".
I sometimes don't experience the whole biking brotherhood looking out for one another and having a common interest. I've stopped off at our biking hotspot cafes and take aways and to be honest other bikers just ignore you, maybe they think a CB500X is not worthy.
When I ride solo, I can stop for a pic or a break when I decide whereas in a group I would imagine it's a pre-determined location and there's always that urgency to keep up. Each to their own I suppose.

Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

https://www.youtube.com/user/irishrover63

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 03:50:48 PM »
The trouble with group pursuits, is there's a temptation and a tendency to dick about...this applies to cars, bikes, push-bikes etc. Maybe it's more of a male thing? It's all been answered above, so I've little to add, other than if you want to test your limits, do it when and where it's less likely to impact on others. The roads are hazardous enough without upping the ante...

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Blimey, I've had so many good times, driving with my kit car, MG and MX5 clubs over the years, on so many runs and shows, showing my Royal Enfield and Hyosung (yes, honestly!), and now riding with a good group of friends on the Honda - I enjoy a solo ride, but life would be too lonely without the gang and the fun we have riding out together.

The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 12:57:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Blimey, I've had so many good times, driving with my kit car, MG and MX5 clubs over the years, on so many runs and shows, showing my Royal Enfield and Hyosung (yes, honestly!), and now riding with a good group of friends on the Honda - I enjoy a solo ride, but life would be too lonely without the gang and the fun we have riding out together.

I'd say it all depends on the group... :028:

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I'd say it all depends on the group... :028:

I guess so - all the colours of the rainbow here, on a ride-out earlier this year.....roll on Spring!!
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »
..and then there is the British Superbikes at Knockhill, this is only one of the many bike parks - what a riot when we all leave together at the end of the day!!

Recent Topics