Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: highway and country road riding  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Re: highway and country road riding
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
…..and then there is the British Superbikes at Knockhill, this is only one of the many bike parks - what a riot when we all leave together at the end of the day!!

Same deal coming and going to Oulton Park....car drivers bow to our superior numbers, if not our questionable antics :008:

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »
 :451: This topic just brought to mind some fun I had with the MX5 car club - building and racing a soapbox racer at Autoclassica 2008!  Admittedly I wasn't the driver, but the MX5 team won!!  I know I'm off topic - :431:

The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 10:49:45 PM »
By pushing yourself to keep up , or ride out of your comfortable pace, you tire yourself out more than riding at your natural pace.

Different groups leaders will lead at a different pace.

Some people just different so not all groups work together
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Online uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 09:20:30 PM »
Hey Matt

I'm actually in Adelaide but leaving this morning. If I'd actually engaged my brain we could have gone for a blat! 🤣

I agree with what the others said, but I'd also say that as you gain experience your confidence will improve, you'll find that your self-consciousness will fade and you'll ride more instinctively and safely.

You should always ride within your limits, otherwise coming off is a real risk.

With time, the potholes and cracks won't seem so bad. Most potholes are so small that you'll ride straight over them without noticing.

I'd suggest getting out by yourself, or with a mate who will ride at your place, and try different routes that will build your experience (perhaps you've only ridden urban streets at 60kph; if so, it's not surprising that the greater speeds are intimidating). Ride the Adelaide Hills at a safe pace - go to Hahndorf for a coffee and get used to your bike. Perhaps take a spin on the freeway (which is an excellent quality road) or head down to Victor Harbour for a day trip, to understand that 100kph can be comfortable.

Courses are fine, and if you feel that you need one, by all means sign up, but in my experience the best way to get comfortable with the stuff you described is to ride.

Blah - another long post from me - I really need to work on that. 🤣
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 09:22:26 PM by uku383 »

Offline mtodd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
  • City / Town: Adelaide, AU
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
Hey Matt

I'm actually in Adelaide but leaving this morning. If I'd actually engaged my brain we could have gone for a blat! 🤣

I agree with what the others said, but I'd also say that as you gain experience your confidence will improve, you'll find that your self-consciousness will fade and you'll ride more instinctively and safely.

You should always ride within your limits, otherwise coming off is a real risk.

With time, the potholes and cracks won't seem so bad. Most potholes are so small that you'll ride straight over them without noticing.

I'd suggest getting out by yourself, or with a mate who will ride at your place, and try different routes that will build your experience (perhaps you've only ridden urban streets at 60kph; if so, it's not surprising that the greater speeds are intimidating). Ride the Adelaide Hills at a safe pace - go to Hahndorf for a coffee and get used to your bike. Perhaps take a spin on the freeway (which is an excellent quality road) or head down to Victor Harbour for a day trip, to understand that 100kph can be comfortable.

Courses are fine, and if you feel that you need one, by all means sign up, but in my experience the best way to get comfortable with the stuff you described is to ride.

Blah - another long post from me - I really need to work on that. 🤣

Hey uku383, not a long post at all. Maybe next time your in town it would be great to go for a bit of a ride. I'm curious to know which route you took from NSW to Adelaide. I have a plan to ride along the coast from Adelaide to Melbourne in Feb which should be fun but I'm keen to do quite a bit of travelling on the bike when my skills improve.

I actually tried another group ride last weekend and it was quite a bit more comfortable than the first group ride. Although not with the group, my ride back home was from Victor Harbour to Adelaide on the main road which was much more comfortable than I expected at 100km/h.

cheers,
Matt
New rider, social worker, musician

Online uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by mtodd [+]
Hey uku383, not a long post at all. Maybe next time your in town it would be great to go for a bit of a ride. I'm curious to know which route you took from NSW to Adelaide.

I'll definitely PM you when I head over next, although it may not be for a while.

The route obviously depends on whether you need to do things quickly or not, and where in Adelaide you're coming from. Regardless which way you go, it's a lot of riding - to Sydney from your place would be about 1,500-1,600km. I take a swag (which doubles as a backrest when strapped to the bike) and camp half way, although I have done the ride without camping once - when I was feeling especially alert.

One thing that I will say about long rides is that you need to be wary of fatigue. I am not shy about stopping the bike at a rest stop and lying out for a safety snooze, no matter what time of day. Fatigue is, in my view, more dangerous than speeding (the less said about my encounter with a (to be fair, very friendly) member of the Victorian Police Force yesterday, the better.  :016:

I'll try to remember to PM you tomorrow, with routes / variations, but a good way to do it is pull out a map and look for places you'd like to ride through. e.g. I love going through the Snowy Mountains, if I have time.

Alan
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:50:04 PM by uku383 »

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »
These guys give some really good advice. I have done track days and loved it. I have been asked to ride in group charity rides before and it was not fun for me.  I have a couple of guys that we ride 3 or 4 times a year that we rode together since we were very young and I don't mind riding with them. I keep a post-it note in my tank bag that says RIDE YOUR OWN BIKE. When I get out and run into guys and we get to talking and some are hitting the rev limiters in the parking lot. I pull the note out and put it on my tank. To remind me to Ride My Bike and not get crazy.
The CBX is a beast with potholes and cracks in the road. Ride your own bike where it is fun and most of all safe. I give the book Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code as a gift to returning riders and friends easy read and great tips on how to be a safer rider and feel more confident when you are on the bike. Yes, he teaches road racing classes but the insight picked up over years and the data his company has collected from riders allows them to put great helpful information in one easy to read.
Some of us beat the CBX on back roads and dirt roads stay as relaxed as you can don't stiff arm the bars. If you are wanting a riding partner keep looking you will meet that guy that has ridden for years and understands where you are.

Offline 2Bpencil

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
I'll definitely PM you when I head over next, although it may not be for a while.

The route obviously depends on whether you need to do things quickly or not, and where in Adelaide you're coming from. Regardless which way you go, it's a lot of riding - to Sydney from your place would be about 1,500-1,600km. I take a swag (which doubles as a backrest when strapped to the bike) and camp half way, although I have done the ride without camping once - when I was feeling especially alert.

One thing that I will say about long rides is that you need to be wary of fatigue. I am not shy about stopping the bike at a rest stop and lying out for a safety snooze, no matter what time of day. Fatigue is, in my view, more dangerous than speeding (the less said about my encounter with a (to be fair, very friendly) member of the Victorian Police Force yesterday, the better.  :016:

I'll try to remember to PM you tomorrow, with routes / variations, but a good way to do it is pull out a map and look for places you'd like to ride through. e.g. I love going through the Snowy Mountains, if I have time.

Alan
or engage the TomTom GPS 'Plan a Thrill' function. It's amazing what routes it suggests.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage