Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: highway and country road riding  (Read 3383 times)

Offline mtodd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
  • City / Town: Adelaide, AU
highway and country road riding
« on: December 25, 2018, 03:53:59 AM »
I went on my first group ride a few days ago and it was quite a nerve wracking experience. I was glad I did it though and I hope it has given me a taste of what is to come for me on the bike. I ended up covering over 400km in the round trip which included slowish winding hills riding and straighter country roads (100km zone). Whilst the group claimed to stick to speed limits and encouraged riding within your comfort zone before heading off, the reality seemed to be quite a different matter. I struggled to keep up with the back of the group and had the tail end rider on my ass most of the way. I was hovering around 100km/h but I guess mostly at 95km/h. One of the things that struck me the most was that I was quite nervous about hitting a pot-hole or getting caught in a large road crack. I found it quite exhausting. I am wondering if this is just purely a my lack of experience at riding on country roads at this speed. I've never noticed the poor quality of the roads like I do now and I don't really know if the bike has the ability to track over lines, cracks etc without running into trouble. The other riders were clearly not having any issues as they progressed at warp speed. I plan to undertake more rider training which no doubt will help but I worry that I'm just not cut out for this high speed stuff.

I am interested to hear from others about experience with the 500x at highway speed. I have just fitted the taller Givi screen and whilst this seems to provide a good amount of wind protection at 100km/h maybe I'm just making matters worse for myself with the minor buffeting affecting my confidence at speed. I'm just under 5"8 (172cm) and 76kg.

Cheers,
Matt
New rider, social worker, musician

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: highway and country road riding
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 04:53:20 AM »
Riding should be fun, not stressful.  Personally, I don't like riding in groups.  I prefer to have my own ability and my sense of what is happening as the only inputs into what I am going to do next.  Us humans have strong urges to stay with the group, and in some circumstances that can be life saving, but in others in can be life threatening.  Often when I am riding I will come across some other bikers and hang with them for a bit, but the moment hanging with them dictates a behavior I would not otherwise do, we go our separate ways. 

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 05:14:30 AM »
Same sentiments as above. I used to live in Boston and made friends with a bunch of guys that were trackday junkies. Their skills far exceeded mine. After one group ride I realized that if I kept riding with them I would end up broken, battered or worse. Find some riders that dont push you beyond your limit.

I would definitely consider investing in training over spending on some farkle as well. Theres quite a lot to be learned and there are some great schools out there to make you a better (and more confident) rider. Invest in yourself.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:15:47 AM by ThirtyOne »

Offline peasemold

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Liskeard
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
Riding should be fun, not stressful.  Personally, I don't like riding in groups.  I prefer to have my own ability and my sense of what is happening as the only inputs into what I am going to do next.  Us humans have strong urges to stay with the group, and in some circumstances that can be life saving, but in others in can be life threatening.  Often when I am riding I will come across some other bikers and hang with them for a bit, but the moment hanging with them dictates a behavior I would not otherwise do, we go our separate ways.

This all the way, especially the first sentence.
If you feel you need more experience/training then do that first, not after.

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 11:32:01 AM »
You should trust your instincts. Yes avoid pot holes. Yes avoid large cracks. So what if you would get away with it, there's always one pot hole deeper than expected to have you off.

I've been in groups like that, seen 100 mph where the local limit was 90kmh but on good roads so the real stress was my licence. I never rode again with that group, they were nutters.

Find a more sensible group to hone your skills.
Brian.

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
Lol, I'm a recovering trackday junkie as 31 put it, but I find riding with others quite fun most if the time.
Some of my riding buddies are nutters just like me, but many times I'm just holding back and have fun enjoying the smells and the scenery if the tempo is slower - I'm in for both.
Find or found your own group with similar riding habits.

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
Riding at speed trying to keep up with others is very tiring, as the concentration levels are at their limit and more so with  age.
   Not only are you trying to avoid the potholes,( you have potholes in Australia??) but also trying to avoid the other riders.
    Some people love riding with others and are brilliant at it.....but not for me.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
Riding at speed trying to keep up with others is very tiring, as the concentration levels are at their limit and more so with  age.
   Not only are you trying to avoid the potholes,( you have potholes in Australia??) but also trying to avoid the other riders.
    Some people love riding with others and are brilliant at it.....but not for me.

Yeah, for me riding in a group is much more tiring. Not only do you have to pay attention to the usual road obstacles, but you need to also keep an eye on the rider in front, rider behind and the communication of the group as a whole. Its not relaxing for me at all. But, as you said, some people love group rides.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
The group I ride with has some who just blast away, but more who keep together and just let the fast boys go and meet them later!!

When I used to drive in a kit car/sports car club, we always had a rule that nobody was left behind, with a radio between the back and front of the convoy, and everyone watching the person behind them, and making sure they were not falling behind.  It (usually) worked!!

Experience will help, and you'll get used to watching the road surface ahead and riding around any problems - keep at it, you will enjoy it the more you do it...
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline mtodd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
  • City / Town: Adelaide, AU
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for great advice as always.
New rider, social worker, musician

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage