Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing throttle housing  (Read 2112 times)

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Removing throttle housing
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
I seem to have excess play in the throttle housing on my handlebars. There's about 4 mm of twist on the whole unit. If i remove the two screws to take it apart am I likely to find springs pinging around the shed or is it pretty safe and easy to do? Do I need to disconnect the throttle cable at the other end?

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Re: Removing throttle housing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
Hiya. There should be adjustment on the carb end and also on the run of cable to the twist grip. As the cables are a set length only finite adjustment is necessary.
   There still needs to be a small amount of play as when you fully turn the handle bars either way it is crucial the cable doesnt tension up....hence, the necessary free play.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
Hiya. There should be adjustment on the carb end and also on the run of cable to the twist grip. As the cables are a set length only finite adjustment is necessary.
   There still needs to be a small amount of play as when you fully turn the handle bars either way it is crucial the cable doesnt tension up....hence, the necessary free play.

Sorry, its the throttle body that's moving, not the twister.

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
I had to take my throttle apart to fit a new throttle tube, when I cocked up the heated grip fitting, it's just a bit fiddley to put back together & to locate the little lug into the hole in the bars that stops it moving, there's nothing the pings out you just need a bit of patience didn't help that I've got hands like JCB buckets!!
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline oldtexan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: East Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
I seem to have excess play in the throttle housing on my handlebars. There's about 4 mm of twist on the whole unit.....

I've noticed similar play as my throttle housing will rotate on the handlebar (I am not referring to the play in the throttle cable adjustment).  Mine is a 2018.  Mind sharing what year your bike is?

My play is only about 2mm.  The shop manual shows a pin in the lower housing that fits into a hole in the handlebar.  I think I have read that this is a metal pin that can slip out and be lost when the two halves of the throttle housing are separated.  If it is a metal pin into a machined hole, the play is difficult to understand.

The play is not a lot, but it seems obvious that there should be no play at all in the attachment of the throttle housing to the handlebar.

I'd be very pleased to read of any solutions to the issue.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 04:11:21 PM »
Although the switch housing has a little locating nub that fits into a corresponding hole in the bars, you may want to alter the angle of the bars and the position of the throttle (further inboard, further outboard, where the throttle action starts/stops, the position in relation to the brake lever etc.) If you remove the nub (with a stanley knife) you can achieve the above, but the switch housing doesn't really have sufficient clamping force to stay put. Various ways around it: electrical tape around the bars, leave the nub on and reposition the hole (not advisable...you may want to change it again!), use other components to retain it (eg. the brake lever pivot). I made a bracket that uses the mirror mounting hole, to hold the throttle cable adjuster in situ...I'll take a pic shortly.

electrical tape is by far the easiest, but be sure not to over tighten the housing screws...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 04:14:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
I've noticed similar play as my throttle housing will rotate on the handlebar (I am not referring to the play in the throttle cable adjustment).  Mine is a 2018.  Mind sharing what year your bike is?

My play is only about 2mm.  The shop manual shows a pin in the lower housing that fits into a hole in the handlebar.  I think I have read that this is a metal pin that can slip out and be lost when the two halves of the throttle housing are separated.  If it is a metal pin into a machined hole, the play is difficult to understand.

The play is not a lot, but it seems obvious that there should be no play at all in the attachment of the throttle housing to the handlebar.

I'd be very pleased to read of any solutions to the issue.

maybe they changed on later models but the locating 'pin' is a plastic nub, moulded into the housing on 2016 (and presumably earlier)...it's a cheap (and sh#t) way of achieving the desired goal.

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 04:18:52 PM »
Ahh.
Not seeing the problem in the flesh, but imagining what it is, would it be possible to thread the hole with a similar size tap and locktite a short bolt in place , replicating the pin that used to be there.
A real faff that shouldnt need doing  for a young bike.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 04:41:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
Ahh.
Not seeing the problem in the flesh, but imagining what it is, would it be possible to thread the hole with a similar size tap and locktite a short bolt in place , replicating the pin that used to be there.
A real faff that shouldn’t need doing  for a young bike.

It would be possible to replicate the pin in the housing (if it's been sliced off, squashed, deformed etc.). but I'd be tempted to find an easier fix...the pin and hole are a loose interference fit, so to drill and tap the housing to fit a large enough pin means weakening the supporting plastic. you may get just get away using a self-tapping screw....but this assumes you want the throttle housing to be exactly where Honda decided to locate it.

If you're not familiar with 'Sil tape' now's the time to become acquainted! It's self amalgamating silicone tape (superb stuff for electrical wiring, emergency plumbing repairs etc.)...it's not sticky, but sticks to itself, and is also compressible and 'grabby' (like those work gloves with silicone beads on the palms)....great for forming a non permanent gasket between handlebars and a throttle housing...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:46:53 PM by Jonathan »

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 04:57:57 PM »
I was more thinking drilling and tapping into the handle bars as opposed to the throttle housing.   Maybe!

Recent Topics