Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing throttle housing  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Removing throttle housing
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 05:08:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
I was more thinking drilling and tapping into the handle bars as opposed to the throttle housing.   Maybe!

No reason why you couldn't, but there's not much material thickness in the bars to from a reliable thread, in my opinion. You could use an M3 riv nut (5mm hole size) to create something to thread into, but then you have to consider the flange that's left, and how this might interfere with the housing...

You're right...it's not a job that should even be necessary...it's just manufacturers cheaping out again.

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »
It amazes me how the manufacturers can scrimp and save just by doing all these skin flint measures.
I recon this is going to end up being a recall......more fool Honda.
If enough people bring this to attention to the dealers, itll get sorted.
 Itll end up costing more as a result.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
It amazes me how the manufacturers can scrimp and save just by doing all these skin flint measures.
I recon this is going to end up being a recall......more fool Honda.
If enough people bring this to attention to the dealers, it’ll get sorted.
 It’ll end up costing more as a result.

It's a convention adopted by virtually all manufacturers...very few things are 'over engineered' to ensure longevity these days; it all comes down to costs and margins.

Saw a video recently of an engineer essentially slating the Tesla Model 3 after the company he works for benchmarked it (ie pulled it apart piece by piece, analyzed, tested and compared each component on the bench, against rivals' offerings)....In a nutshell, the Tesla would never beat the competition because it didn't cut the same corners to save money (reduced manufacturing costs = increased market share)....it was so much better than everything else on the market. By default, manufacturers aim to do the bare minimum to satisfy criteria and gain sales over a rival's product...so it's more of a case of "what sh#t can we get away with", rather than "what's the best we can do?"   

Maybe it amounts to the same thing? :008:

All I know, is my 25 year old transalp will outlast my X by a long chalk...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:37:42 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 07:32:57 PM »

bit tricky to photograph, but there's a stainless bracket fitted before the mirror stem, that sits between the cable adjusters and curls over lower one...it stops the throttle housing from moving (after I'd sliced the pin off to shift the throttle position)...the black rubbery looking stuff is heat shrink
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:34:33 PM by Jonathan »

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]

bit tricky to photograph, but there's a stainless bracket fitted before the mirror stem, that sits between the cable adjusters and curls over lower one...it stops the throttle housing from moving (after I'd sliced the pin off to shift the throttle position)...the black rubbery looking stuff is heat shrink

Is that your invention?

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 08:59:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
Is that your invention?

necessity is the Mother of Invention....as they say :001: Works well

Offline oldtexan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: East Texas
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »
So I opened the throttle housing in my 2018 CB500x to take a look.  There thin piece of metal, in a flat "U" shape, with the outside of the "U" attached with two small screws to the inside of the bottom throttle housing. The inside of the flat "U" is matched to the curve of the handlebar.  In that thin, flat inside of the flat "U" is a circular ridge which fits into a hole in the handlebar.  The ridge is about 1/16" high.

The ridge is visible in this image:

Here is the matching hole in the handlebar:

The ridge is just punched into the thin metal of the "U"; it fits loosely into the hole of the handlebar, causing the play in the attachment of the throttle housing to the handlebar. 

I tried wrapping tape around the handlebar and it did not really help; there is only a small area of contact between the housing and the handlebar --  one area the thickness of the housings at each end of the housings.  The screws that hold the plastic halves of the throttle housings have low torque limits so can't be tightened very much without consequences.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:07:06 PM by oldtexan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 12:25:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
So I opened the throttle housing in my 2018 CB500x to take a look.  There thin piece of metal, in a flat "U" shape, with the outside of the "U" attached with two small screws to the inside of the bottom throttle housing. The inside of the flat "U" is matched to the curve of the handlebar.  In that thin, flat inside of the flat "U" is a circular ridge which fits into a hole in the handlebar.  The ridge is about 1/16" high.

The ridge is visible in this image:

Here is the matching hole in the handlebar:

The ridge is just punched into the thin metal of the "U"; it fits loosely into the hole of the handlebar, causing the play in the attachment of the throttle housing to the handlebar. 

I tried wrapping tape around the handlebar and it did not really help; there is only a small area of contact between the housing and the handlebar --  one area the thickness of the housings at each end of the housings.  The screws that hold the plastic halves of the throttle housings have low torque limits so can't be tightened very much without consequences.

Thanks for posting this up! :028: So how about covering the metal strip with a strip of siltape (or similar) so that the fit between the pin and hole is improved, when compressed by the tightening the housing screws? It's not a permanent fix but may work for some....

Another solution would involve removing the metal strip, fitting a riv nut over the raised portion and holding it in place with a machine screw...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:33:58 AM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 12:45:29 AM »

plastic nub would need to be removed to accommodate the machine screw...not checked sizes, just guestimating

https://trfastenings.com/products/Catalogue/Nuts/Blind-Rivet-Nuts/Flange-Head/Knurled-Body-Open-End/TR00022140-100
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:52:36 AM by Jonathan »

Offline oldtexan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: East Texas
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 01:02:55 AM »
I'd think your idea of the riv nut would work.  In order to improve the fastening of the housing to the handlebar, the fit of the riv nut into the hole would be critical.  Also, because the thickness of the wall of the handlebar is not great, I think the raised circular ridge on the metal strip would have to be filed off, for the riv nut to "catch" the hole in the handlebar.  I'll be pondering this - right now, the "slop" just kind of irritates me because I don't think it should be there - but does not really interfere with riding - as long as it does not get worse.

Recent Topics