Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing throttle housing  (Read 1590 times)

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Re: Removing throttle housing
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 07:28:24 AM »
A great mod there Johnathon.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 11:41:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
I'd think your idea of the riv nut would work.  In order to improve the fastening of the housing to the handlebar, the fit of the riv nut into the hole would be critical.  Also, because the thickness of the wall of the handlebar is not great, I think the raised circular ridge on the metal strip would have to be filed off, for the riv nut to "catch" the hole in the handlebar.  I'll be pondering this - right now, the "slop" just kind of irritates me because I don't think it should be there - but does not really interfere with riding - as long as it does not get worse.

It bugged me as well! I ended up making the bracket as I needed to move the throttle body to fit barkbusters and a bar end weight...

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
It bugged me as well! I ended up making the bracket as I needed to move the throttle body to fit barkbusters and a bar end weight...

My Barkbusters didn't need the body to be moved.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
My Barkbusters didn't need the body to be moved.

I lopped the locating pin off the housing so I could move the throttle to wherever it landed (and felt comfortable) while I was fitting new heated grips (Oxford). It looked like whoever fitted the first pair had lanced the end off with a broken bottle! It was just a bit of jiggery-pokery to get the right clearance between the grip and the bar weight, and then set the switch controls and brake lever where I wanted them. I also fitted the heat controls on the throttle side, using the barkbuster clamp as the mount, so this was an additional factor.

I seem to remember Oxford offering grips in slightly different lengths, so the shortest ones would probably go on without much fuss...

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I lopped the locating pin off the housing so I could move the throttle to wherever it landed (and felt comfortable) while I was fitting new heated grips (Oxford). It looked like whoever fitted the first pair had lanced the end off with a broken bottle! It was just a bit of jiggery-pokery to get the right clearance between the grip and the bar weight, and then set the switch controls and brake lever where I wanted them. I also fitted the heat controls on the throttle side, using the barkbuster clamp as the mount, so this was an additional factor.

I seem to remember Oxford offering grips in slightly different lengths, so the shortest ones would probably go on without much fuss...

The Oxford Touring grips are the shortest ones. Mine overhang the bars a little, but there's a fair gap between the end of the bars and the barkbuster weight so they're fine.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
The Oxford Touring grips are the shortest ones. Mine overhang the bars a little, but there's a fair gap between the end of the bars and the barkbuster weight so they're fine.

Yep...according to a thread on advrider, the Touring are 120mm, Sports 123mm, and Adventure 132mm...each can be trimmed back a few mm.
Just had a quick look on Oxford's UK site and couldn't find the lengths....

Online Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
I have been following this topic with interest as we have two CB500 and both have the play in the throttle housing where it connects to the bars, as already been said this is mainly caused by Honda using a very cheap and poor throttle, so I was wondering if its possible to use a steel throttle set as used on most of the bikes, for example the one on my last bike, a Triumph Bonneville had a steel throttle, and clamped to the bars with no problem, so has anyone tried to use a throttle from another bike and would it work, I cant really see a reason why it wouldnt and possible we could buy one from a breakers yard cheap, or someone like Rally Raid my sell such a thing.

Superplasma

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Superplasma [+]
I have been following this topic with interest as we have two CB500 and both have the play in the throttle housing where it connects to the bars, as already been said this is mainly caused by Honda using a very cheap and poor throttle, so I was wondering if it’s possible to use a steel throttle set as used on most of the bikes, for example the one on my last bike, a Triumph Bonneville had a steel throttle, and clamped to the bars with no problem, so has anyone tried to use a throttle from another bike and would it work, I can’t really see a reason why it wouldn’t and possible we could buy one from a breakers yard cheap, or someone like Rally Raid my sell such a thing.

Superplasma

the only issue I can see is available space on the control section of the handlebar. Dirt bikes, which tend to have a separate throttle also tend to have wider bars, but I'm sure something will be suitable....it's just a case of trawling through to see what'll work.

Another way round it is to extend the stock bars using a tube connector of some sort...I'll have a look around
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 04:52:48 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile

Recent Topics