Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Checking out the front end  (Read 208 times)

Offline mcpenenr

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X RR
  • City / Town: Wainwright
Checking out the front end
« on: January 01, 2019, 05:06:25 PM »
I bought my 2016 500x after the riding season was over here in Alberta. It came with RR level 2 suspension on stock wheels. To while away the winter months I am going over the bike to check bearings and such. I'm starting with the front end. Just got started on New Years Eve. I don't have a 17mm to take the axle out so I will have to wait a day till the stories open.

When I have this the forks out to flush them I am thinking about if it is possible to relocate the brake line? Has anyone tried this? I don't like the way it hangs down all ugly and vulnerable above the front wheel. I was thinking of maybe routing it up behind the triple clamp. I know with the ABS model this might be more work then it's worth but I'm not afraid to fabricate clamps and mounting points if it gets me where I want to be. Another reason I'm thinking of this is because I suspect that once I get riding in the spring I will end up wanting the handle bars even higher then the Raily Raid puts them. I would need longer brake lines unless I can find some length by re-routing them.
"You can have what you like, if you like what you have."

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
Re: Checking out the front end
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »
As long as you have some free play in the line it should be fine. A good way to test is to prop the bike up so the front wheel is lifted. Turn the handlebar to various positions and spin the wheel by hand. Check for any spots where the line might be compressed and applying the brake.

There is a recent thread where 2" risers were installed with the factory lines. They are rerouted to through the triple. No problem.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3777.0.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:42:07 PM by ThirtyOne »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Checking out the front end
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:49:03 AM »
you can also save yourself a small fortune by buying a 17mm stud connector (it's just a long nut) for the front axle...engineers merchants or any builders suppliers that sell 17mm threaded bar (called stud in the UK)

you can also buy banjo extensions, converters and elbows, if you want to re route the brake line, if needs be...Venhill, Goodridge or HEL do all sorts
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:52:17 AM by Jonathan »

Recent Topics