Basic Search



Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: oil drain plug thread size....?  (Read 875 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1013
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
oil drain plug thread size....?
« on: January 02, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »
Hi...anyone know the oil drain plug thread size, by any chance? I'm assuming it'll be a metric taper, but I'm often wrong. It may be in the manual... :084:

Merci

edit: just found it....1.5 pitch, no taper...as you were
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:33:51 PM by Jonathan »

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3226
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 06:28:01 PM »

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1013
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:26:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]

Thanks! I've found a guy in the UK that does tapped drain plugs for different applications, so I'm going to see if he has a compact version to fit the X....the type where you can leave the hose attached and leave it dangling somewhere safe...saves pulling the sump guard or bash plate. I sent an email to John at RR to see if he fancied doing something along these lines, and modifying their bash plate with a recessed hole to install a bulkhead fitting...didn't hear back, so I guess it's a non starter. Easy mod for anyone who has a sump guard fitted, though....

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:48:35 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Mikerthebiker

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Country: ca
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: St. Albert, AB
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 03:46:30 AM »
Google Fumoto valves.

Offline catstevecam

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 464
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 05:36:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mikerthebiker [+]
Google Fumoto valves.

Or even search 'fumoto' on here . .

Online JMo

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1205
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 10:31:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Thanks! I've found a guy in the UK that does tapped drain plugs for different applications, so I'm going to see if he has a compact version to fit the X....the type where you can leave the hose attached and leave it dangling somewhere safe...saves pulling the sump guard or bash plate. I sent an email to John at RR to see if he fancied doing something along these lines, and modifying their bash plate with a recessed hole to install a bulkhead fitting...didn't hear back, so I guess it's a non starter. Easy mod for anyone who has a sump guard fitted, though....



The Rally-Raid engine guard pivots down at the front [engine mounts] so you can access the oil drain plug without having to remove the whole guard.



I can't see any reason to complicate things further, especially when you only need to change the oil every 8000 miles anyway?

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1013
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 12:51:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
I can't see any reason to complicate things further, especially when you only need to change the oil every 8000 miles anyway?

Jx

Yep...Fair point. I don't have a sump guard as yet, but I'm planning to fit an oil drain hose, and will more than likely fit a sump guard in due course. Just seemed like an obvious mod to eliminate one aspect of the procedure. Fact is, it's easier to zip tie the drain hose out of harms way, but I like making things slightly more complicated for myself...keeps me busy :001:

Offline Herman

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 02:33:19 PM »
I use Stahlbus items generally, not quite what you have in mind I dont think but it does make things less messy.

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1013
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Herman [+]
I use Stahlbus items generally, not quite what you have in mind I dont think but it does make things less messy.

Ta! I'll have a look at the Stahlbus stuff. From what I can gather the Fumoto is a tap, so you still need to gain access, fit a hose etc....the idea was to shift the 'tap' to the underside of a sump-guard, just like a recessed drain bolt on a car.....not really had a proper look into it yet

Offline bullroarer

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 134
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Re: oil drain plug thread size....?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »
I would be inclined to leave the plug where it is, as for rough riding stones have a habit of  smashing vital parts, the sump guard is protecting that lot. As the othe post suggests its only every 8k or so.
   Some mods on bikes and cars are great....some come back to bite though.!
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

 


Recent Topics