Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suggestions for a motorway commuter  (Read 5640 times)

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Surrey
Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« on: January 05, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
Afternoon all,

I'm after some suggestions and advice. My commute is possibly going to change due to a new job in the offing. My 30 mile round trip (short bit of motorway then A roads) is going to become 100 miles round trip of motorway.

I despise my CBX on the motorway at the best of times, so I draw the line at this. I need to change it (and please don't try and convince me otherwise - it's personal preference) and I want to see what people would suggest.

I've test ridden the Crossrunner and Tiger 800 in the past (as well as the V-Strom 1000, Versys 1000 and, Z900RS, Tracer 700 and 900 (and GT)).

Don't really like the latter ones in that list...the Tracer 900 was alright but it's too expensive to insure for me with 18 months experience (I'm 33, 1 years NCB) and the Crossrunner kinda has a similar problem (it's only still in the list because it was so nice).

Other bikes on my mind are the F800GT, and someone else threw in the Deauville NT700 as it would do what I want, although there's no excitement. As you can probably tell, I'm after someone a bit more upright and with decent wind protection.

In terms of budget, the max I've got is 8.5k, but of course I'd like to spend less if at all possible.

Offline Lattugo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA Y2015
  • City / Town: Valsamoggia
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:00:28 PM »
How about a Honda NC750X?

It is in your budget I think, inexpensive to ride (I don't know about insurance in the UK, though), and you should be able to ride the highways in a more relaxed way.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:05:07 PM »
I can understand you wanting a bit more go for a long motorway journey, and it wouldn't take too much - my Suzuki SV650S and Hyosung GT650 (a Suzuki copy) were fantastic on motorways, easily fast enough to 'accidentally' hit 100mph without even trying, but still relatively light and economical. So anything 650cc and up should fit the bill.

The Tracers would be the obvious suggestion, but they are out for you, so let me have a look through my old magazines and see if anything crops up.

I'll be back!!  :035:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:07:09 PM »
with that sort of budget you've got a wide range to choose from. Personally, if I was just looking for a comfy commuter with good build quality, decent protection and good mpg I'd go with a used V strom 650, Deauville or Transalp 700...won't set your heart racing but all will do sterling work, day in day out. A looked after Africa Twin (RD04, RD 07) wouldn't be a bad option either...nice one linked below
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:10:46 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:13:07 PM by Jonathan »

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
I actually had an SV650S as a courtesy bike the other day, I can see what you mean... properly uncomfortable for me, can't imagine how you'd commute on one, but I think that of anyone on a sports bike.

That Translap suggestion could be worth a shout!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:16:30 PM by mother-goose »

Offline BabisStinson

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 06:39:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by mother-goose [+]
Afternoon all,

I'm after some suggestions and advice. My commute is possibly going to change due to a new job in the offing. My 30 mile round trip (short bit of motorway then A roads) is going to become 100 miles round trip of motorway.

I despise my CBX on the motorway at the best of times, so I draw the line at this. I need to change it (and please don't try and convince me otherwise - it's personal preference) and I want to see what people would suggest.rotection.

Hi mother-goose, may I ask why you despise it on the high way? I am thinking of getting a new CB500X 2019 model and I would be interested to know why, since I am gonna mainly use it in town on national road with speeds ~120-130km/h and on B-Roads.
Thanks!

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 07:18:21 PM »
I changed from the SV to the Hyosung because the Hyo was more upright, but I should have thought - - - -

The Suzuki V-Strom 650 has the same great V-twin engine, and of course there is the 1000 version
And that leads me to the Kawasaki Versys 650 which I rode in New Zealand and I loved it, and again there is the 1000 version. 
The WK650MT is a British labelled Chinese adventure bike with a copy of the Kawasaki twin engine, and could be so cheap you could have that to commute during the week, and the X to play with at the weekend!  Maybe a lot of miles for a Chinese bike though.....
I rode a BMW800GS at a test day and liked it, that could gobble up the miles.
Magazine favourite adventure/tourers are the Ducati MultiStrada and the KTM 1090, expensive though.
Honda NC750 would be worth a thought - again very economical, and storage in the tank space would be handy when commuting.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F - fairing and sensible bars
Kawasaki Ninja 650 - another fairing and sensible straight bars

Hope that starts off a few thoughts.....I'd have a 650 Versys myself, but I'm not very imaginative!!  :156:

One daft after-thought, have you considered a big 650 scooter - great weather protection, automatic and bags of storage - Suzuki and Yamaha would be the main choice...  :034:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 07:25:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by BabisStinson [+]
Hi mother-goose, may I ask why you despise it on the high way? I am thinking of getting a new CB500X 2019 model and I would be interested to know why, since I am gonna mainly use it in town on national road with speeds ~120-130km/h and on B-Roads.
Thanks!

It's all personal preference but the 13-15 model has a well documented issue with wind turbulence, and at 6'2" I suffer from it badly (even with the Madstad screen). It also revs a bit too high at 70-75mph. Have addressed that with a recent sprocket change.

I think we're all hoping the 2019 addresses this, defo make sure you do some fast riding in your test ride.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 08:33:24 PM »
I'd echo what Lattugo suggested - if you're looking for a commuter tool, you could do worse than an NC750X - especially with the DCT... effortless cruising, minimal maintenance and very economic and stone-cold reliable. They are also often looked over in the showrooms (although admittedly the DCT is on certain people's radar), so you can probably find one at a good price, especially at this time of year?

Plenty of hard-luggage options for that bike too if you need to carry work stuff - although if you're commuting in the UK, I'm sure I don't need to tell you a top box is probably preferable to panniers so you can slip through any slow/stationary traffic.

Jx

ps. AS AJC500 noted - the NC has another bonus in that you can stash your helmet in the frunk too.
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage