Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suggestions for a motorway commuter  (Read 1529 times)

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Surrey
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
I also experienced excessive buffeting.  Enough to cause blurred vision on the highway and making it impossible to read road signs at a distance.  After much experimentation I found that the Madstad 22" windscreen and winglets did the trick for me.  Now I ride the interstate at 70mph in comfort.

I've got the 20" with winglets and it hasn't worked out for me, but Ive gotten to the point that I'd prefer to change the bike for something..."more" rather than dump another 250 on a screen.

Stuff like the Tiger 800 XRT or XCA with Cruise, heated seats etc make great year round commuters, the VFR is peach (in my eyes) of an engine and I suffered no buffeting at all, even up to 90mph (which happened accidentally because the Vtec kicked in).

It sounds like a Deauville would be well suited to my commuter needs for little outlay - I'm almost tempted to go down that route (if I like it enough) to rack up a few more years of experience and No Claims Bonus.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:17:36 PM by mother-goose »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by mother-goose [+]
I've got the 20" with winglets and it hasn't worked out for me, but Ive gotten to the point that I'd prefer to change the bike for something..."more" rather than dump another 250 on a screen.

Stuff like the Tiger 800 XRT or XCA with Cruise, heated seats etc make great year round commuters, the VFR is peach (in my eyes) of an engine and I suffered no buffeting at all, even up to 90mph (which happened accidentally because the Vtec kicked in).

It sounds like a Deauville would be well suited to my commuter needs for little outlay - I'm almost tempted to go down that route (if I like it enough) to rack up a few more years of experience and No Claims Bonus.

Thousands of couriers can't be wrong!

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Thousands of couriers can't be wrong!

With regards to what bit?

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 10:41:10 PM »
NT700V used by couriers.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 12:45:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by mother-goose [+]

I have a 20" + winglets coming my way as we speak. I'm using a factory 2013 screen though, which does little more than direct wind up my chest into my neck. I'm hoping that it'll fit me right, although I've played with various sized Madstad screens and other screens on the Madstad brackets (on previous bikes) and found screens work at one angle for one speed, and then need adjusting when speed changes  (like highway speeds / around town speeds). I haven't found one that I can just install at one position and be optimal for all riding conditions. YMMV

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
I have a 20" + winglets coming my way as we speak. I'm using a factory 2013 screen though, which does little more than direct wind up my chest into my neck. I'm hoping that it'll fit me right, although I've played with various sized Madstad screens and other screens on the Madstad brackets (on previous bikes) and found screens work at one angle for one speed, and then need adjusting when speed changes  (like highway speeds / around town speeds). I haven't found one that I can just install at one position and be optimal for all riding conditions. YMMV

if only :006:

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 07:03:59 AM »
I could certainly see how the 22" screen could have worked for me, but there are plenty of other things that don't really make the CB500X a good motorway cruiser.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
That electric screen - what a bloody horrible noise!!

Mother Goose - I know exactly where you are coming from, wanting a little more bike for a more comfortable, lower revving, relaxed, motorway speed ride.  Get those test rides organised!!  :152:

Especially the V-Strom and the Versys, I'm sure one of those has the answer..... VFR is already off your list, the Tiger is very heavy and I'm not a BMW fan, for no discernible reason.....:034:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:49:11 AM by AJC500 »
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 10:15:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]

Especially the V-Strom and the Versys, I'm sure one of those has the answer..... VFR is already off your list, the Tiger is very heavy and I'm not a BMW fan, for no discernible reason.....:034:

The Versys 1000 was too much bike for my current commute, but it might be a good fit for the new one. The one I rode had a tall screen and was still pretty windy, I'm kinda thinking it needs something like a MRA Vario. One thing I didn't like about it was it felt cheap, does that make sense? I see they are heavily revising it for this year and I can see why.

I have had some feedback elsewhere that I'm probably too tall for the F800GT and would be better suited to the GS variant - will try to see if I can have a go to prove it, but I saw one in the carpark the other day and thought they were probably right.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »
I only rented the Versys for a week, and at home I was riding a naked Hyosung GT650, so anything with a screen would feel fine to me, and I don't seem to notice buffeting as much as some (I am around 5'10" and I think I slouch on the bike, and maybe that sits me lower than many folk!), but you've got to be comfortable, so I see why it's off the list.

I rode a BMW 800GS at a test day, and it was very nice, as was the 1200GS, which I tested with a lower seat option which made it quite manageable..... I just have this funny thing in my head about BMW, possibly just from some very offhand treatment in their dealerships!! 

It doesn't take much....but I've never bought either a BMW car or bike because of it!!   :034:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage