Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suggestions for a motorway commuter  (Read 1523 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mother-goose

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Surrey
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
Ah well the Deauville has gone (and come up rarely) so I'll see how the others go, then see if I want to wait to try a Deauville.

Online ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1067
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by mother-goose [+]
I could certainly see how the 22" screen could have worked for me, but there are plenty of other things that don't really make the CB500X a good motorway cruiser.

While looking for a screen for my 650 VStrom, I ordered a 20" and 22" from Madstad and played around with both for a few days with the option to return one of the two for a full refund (Madstad was very good to work with). I found that the 22" worked for me on that bike. I did have a tall seat on that bike though, so if I had an OEM seat, perhaps the 20" would hav worked better.

As I had mentioned earlier, it's one of those things where you have to play around with. Unfortunately, unless you have friends that ride the same exact bike and they have different screens, you really don't know until you buy and try. I made the investment with Madstad because their mounting bracket is brilliant and it'll get me closer to the fabled "perfect bubble."

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 516
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
While looking for a screen for my 650 VStrom, I ordered a 20" and 22" from Madstad and played around with both for a few days with the option to return one of the two for a full refund (Madstad was very good to work with). I found that the 22" worked for me on that bike. I did have a tall seat on that bike though, so if I had an OEM seat, perhaps the 20" would hav worked better.

As I had mentioned earlier, it's one of those things where you have to play around with. Unfortunately, unless you have friends that ride the same exact bike and they have different screens, you really don't know until you buy and try. I made the investment with Madstad because their mounting bracket is brilliant and it'll get me closer to the fabled "perfect bubble."

It's amazing to think that these companies (or Dealers) don't have trial screens....just a range of tough blanks that they can send out on a deposit basis...if I were in the screen-making business, I'd offer that service. They do this now with glasses; you order a few pairs of frames, try them on at home, and send them back...smaller market obviously, but windshields are just as personal and at s a pop, it can be a costly process finding the right one
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:29:34 PM by Jonathan »

Online ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1067
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
It's amazing to think that these companies (or Dealers) don't have trial screens....just a range of tough blanks that they can send out on a deposit basis...if I were in the screen-making business, I'd offer that service. They do this now with glasses; you order a few pairs of frames, try them on at home, and send them back...smaller market obviously, but windshields are just as personal and at s a pop, it can be a costly process finding the right one

Yeah, it makes sense what you're saying. But, in the end, it works out to them, financially, to keep it the way it is. If you go on some of the bigger forums you'll find tons of used windshields or people selling bikes with 4-5 additional windshields as free accessories.

I contacted Madstad beforehand and talked with them for a bit. I'm 6', which is right on the line between the two screens. Being a little longer in the torso and also having the tall seat, it was a bit of a toss up as to which one to go with. The nice lady on the phone told me that as long as I didn't scratch up the screen I could return one. Super nice people.

Offline catstevecam

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 360
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 11:34:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by mother-goose [+]

Some cracking advice there dude, thanks.

I should really try the V-STROM 650 I reckon, and give the 1000 another go too. I seem to remember that the wind protection wasn't great...but I have an issue because I'm comparing it to the Crossrunner...which was brilliant. But expensive to maintain and insure. I really should be ruling it out.

I did like the Versys 1000 - but again the wind turbulence wasn't great, even with a taller screen on it. Worth a look again perhaps, especially at the 650 too. Trying to find one for a test ride in any sort of local vicinity is causing a problem there.

The mechanics that I got my bike worked on yesterday suggested to avoid the old multistradas, but the new ones are brilliant. It's just the price issue again for me there - and let's be honest, if I could afford to insure that, I'd probably go with whatever R1200RT I could afford.

I almost forgot the about the F800GS, must make sure I look at that and the GT when I do.

The NC750X is the one I'm not surprised has been thrown in to the mix. Everything I've read says they are good, but dull? More importantly though (considering the Deauville is a possibility, I clearly will accept full in to the "maybe" list) is that the wind protection is reportedly not much better than the CB500X?

And if I like none of them? Might as well contemplate a scoot!

Hope the motorway commuter search is proceeding well . . .
I didn't particularly like the NC750 I tested before getting the 'X' - maybe it would be different on faster roads where the extra weight would aid stability. The lack of 'get up and go' might not be so useful!
The VStrom 650 has a great engine (almost considered an old design) and enough bodywork to make it slip through the traffic and keep a lot of spray off the rider. I would definitely consider it or it's bigger bro.
The BMW 800 twin series - the engines have the power to make a motorway journey OK - but the wind and rider protection was too poor for me to consider for long journeys.
I rode a Burgman 400 for a few years (v handy commuter and no bits to fiddle with when parked in city bays - and the 2-helmet capacity under seat storage was brilliant) - it was lively on dual carriageways and happy cruising in the 80's - I can only imagine the 650 is amazing, with better handling and the same rider protection (my helmet would catch rain only if I was going slowly).
Enjoy the chase - there will be some private bargains to be had if you have the readies and you could always call on fellow forumites to check-out a prospect if it is too far to travel from the deep south  :152:

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 516
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 12:40:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by catstevecam [+]
Hope the motorway commuter search is proceeding well . . .
I didn't particularly like the NC750 I tested before getting the 'X' - maybe it would be different on faster roads where the extra weight would aid stability. The lack of 'get up and go' might not be so useful!
The VStrom 650 has a great engine (almost considered an old design) and enough bodywork to make it slip through the traffic and keep a lot of spray off the rider. I would definitely consider it or it's bigger bro.
The BMW 800 twin series - the engines have the power to make a motorway journey OK - but the wind and rider protection was too poor for me to consider for long journeys.
I rode a Burgman 400 for a few years (v handy commuter and no bits to fiddle with when parked in city bays - and the 2-helmet capacity under seat storage was brilliant) - it was lively on dual carriageways and happy cruising in the 80's - I can only imagine the 650 is amazing, with better handling and the same rider protection (my helmet would catch rain only if I was going slowly).
Enjoy the chase - there will be some private bargains to be had if you have the readies and you could always call on fellow forumites to check-out a prospect if it is too far to travel from the deep south  :152:

I had my eye on this recently...Japan built, 800 cc V twin...lovely

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1029881

how about that for a motorway muncher?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:44:49 AM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 516
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 12:48:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by mother-goose [+]
Ah well the Deauville has gone (and come up rarely) so I'll see how the others go, then see if I want to wait to try a Deauville.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1039855 Hampshire?

Offline mother-goose

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Surrey
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 06:52:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]

Had seen that one but ruled it out as I'm after the newer NT700. But for a test ride proposition...maybe not so bad!

And thank you for your other reply too!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:53:12 AM by mother-goose »

Offline AJC500

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1269
  • Country: scotland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »
Don't think I'd want an old bike (even an old Honda) for a long daily commute.  Nice modern mechanicals, ABS and fuel injection for me!!  I know, I'm getting lazy and soft in my old age!!  :001:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline mother-goose

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Surrey
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Don't think I'd want an old bike (even an old Honda) for a long daily commute.  Nice modern mechanicals, ABS and fuel injection for me!!  I know, I'm getting lazy and soft in my old age!!  :001:

That's the stuff I want too, you're not alone there!

 


Recent Topics