Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suggestions for a motorway commuter  (Read 2896 times)

Online uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by mother-goose [+]
That's the stuff I want too, you're not alone there!

I completely agree!!!! I'm happy without all of the fancy gizmos like engine mapping modes, but EFI and ABS mean reliability, efficiency and safety.

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Surrey
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
I completely agree!!!! I'm happy without all of the fancy gizmos like engine mapping modes, but EFI and ABS mean reliability, efficiency and safety.

Sounds worryingly like the NC750X... it's like the "spare car" that'd stalk Jeremy, Richard and James on the TG big adventures.

Offline Herman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 07:03:58 PM »
I am biased here as I have one but you could get a very nice S10 for your budget, winglets and a screen spoiler sort the buffetting . Shaft drive too. Come Armageddon the only things left will be cockroaches and S10s. They are a bit of a best kept secret in this country as the press are fed BMW pies but stateside they do huge miles on them compared to us. 

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Herman [+]
I am biased here as I have one but you could get a very nice S10 for your budget, winglets and a screen spoiler sort the buffetting . Shaft drive too. Come Armageddon the only things left will be cockroaches and S10s. They are a bit of a best kept secret in this country as the press are fed BMW pies but stateside they do huge miles on them compared to us.

Stupid question... what's an S10?

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 08:03:42 PM »
S10 = Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 08:06:32 PM »
Aha, the XT1200! Insurance is hideous unfortunately due the engine capacity.

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 10:02:45 PM »
This is what's killing my choice atm, once I get above 650cc the insurance costs roughly equal the cc of the bike on the cheapest premium (fully comp), but the next cheapest policy is double that. Apart from the insurer MCE every quote I've got is over 1.5k, usually over 2k.

Having really looked at the V-Strom 650 I think I've got to go and try it. The latest XT guise is the one I like the look of. I rode a 10 year old SV650F the other day and that has more than enough to for me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:18:15 PM by mother-goose »

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2019, 04:19:18 AM »
For some on this forum this might sound backward since they were there once. Have you considered the CB650F? Ergos are sorta upright. Smooth power comes on at higher revs. An afterrmarket screen and tail bag might make it a solid commuter.

Offline VersysRider

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Wilmington
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 07:55:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Herman [+]
I bought one the first year they were in the US. I had it 3 years, it was the most disliked bike I have ever owned. A Tall, wide, top heavy, slow turning turd. It was reliable though...and I have a few friends that love theirs.

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
For some on this forum this might sound backward since they were there once. Have you considered the CB650F? Ergos are sorta upright. Smooth power comes on at higher revs. An afterrmarket screen and tail bag might make it a solid commuter.

I have - absolutely LOVE that engine, but it's got naff all weather protection and this will likely be ridden in whatever weather (try saying that three times fast...) Britain can throw at me. Similarly the new CB650R looks stunning, if it was going to just be a play thing then it'd be no contest, I know where my money would be going. If they did a CB650X I'd be all over it, but alas they do not.

From a practicality point of view I'd want a reasonable sized topbox on the back and it really ruins the aesthetics for such a bike. The tail bag is the best looking solution but doesn't give me enough volume. I have an aversion to wearing rucksacks on my back unless I've got my laptop in there (save it from the vibrations in the topbox).

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage