Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suggestions for a motorway commuter  (Read 4073 times)

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Suggestions for a motorway commuter
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
Just killing time, and nosing through the local Honda dealer's website... I could put up with riding either of these, for looks anyway, I've never ridden either!!

https://www.victordevine.com/used-bikes/suzuki/v-strom-650/7236.htm

https://www.victordevine.com/used-bikes/honda/nc750/7250.htm

Don't know how the prices compare, I suspect we pay a bit more up here, but it's fun to look around.  :001:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:04:51 PM by AJC500 »
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Surrey
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Just killing time, and nosing through the local Honda dealer's website... I could put up with riding either of these, for looks anyway, I've never ridden either!!

https://www.victordevine.com/used-bikes/suzuki/v-strom-650/7236.htm

https://www.victordevine.com/used-bikes/honda/nc750/7250.htm

Don't know how the prices compare, I suspect we pay a bit more up here, but it's fun to look around.  :001:

It is, isn't it?

They both look pretty reasonable to me. The V-STROM is a good spec there too (it's the X variant I think, based in the kit it's got - they've just kept the topbox).

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2019, 11:04:56 AM »
Today I've mostly been amazed at how changing my job title has had a dramatic impact on my insurance premium (the job title is still accurate).

I'm also baffled about a Tiger 800 XRT [value at 8k - Insurance Group 14] is over 200 less to insure per annum that a Suzuki V-Strom 650 [valued at 7k, insurance group 9].

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by mother-goose [+]
Today I've mostly been amazed at how changing my job title has had a dramatic impact on my insurance premium (the job title is still accurate).

I'm also baffled about a Tiger 800 XRT [value at 8k - Insurance Group 14] is over 200 less to insure per annum that a Suzuki V-Strom 650 [valued at 7k, insurance group 9].

Perhaps they're secretly pushing customers to buy locally built products  :008:

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2019, 12:03:41 PM »
Ha, could be!

Online Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2019, 03:53:12 PM »

A lot depends on the Life table data for that particular vehicle...back in the day you could insure a CB1000 for less than an RD 350LC...age was irrelevant...LCs tended to be ragged senseless everywhere, wrapped around trees on a daily basis and stolen for fun, so from an Insurer's point of view, a much higher risk.

Offline mother-goose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
A lot depends on the Life table data for that particular vehicle...back in the day you could insure a CB1000 for less than an RD 350LC...age was irrelevant...LCs tended to be ragged senseless everywhere, wrapped around trees on a daily basis and stolen for fun, so from an Insurer's point of view, a much higher risk.

Yup, I understand the logic of how it works...it's just interesting to see how it plays out sometimes as this isn't what I'd remotely expect. The NC750X has the same story. Maybe the profile of the Tiger 800 rider is traditionally older and wiser and less accident prone so there are less claims, making it a better bike to go after.

Offline hec

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: bath
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2019, 09:13:50 PM »
Yup, I understand the logic of how it works...it's just interesting to see how it plays out sometimes as this isn't what I'd remotely expect. The NC750X has the same story. Maybe the profile of the Tiger 800 rider is traditionally older and wiser and less accident prone so there are less claims, making it a better bike to go after.

Age profile might be older but they weight for age so... a guess but stereotyping freely I bet a Tiger 800X gets bought by someone dreaming of riding round the world and lives in a garage whereas a vstrom or nc gets commuted and parked up at work every day
BWDIK
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2019, 10:34:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by hec [+]
Age profile might be older but they weight for age so... a guess but stereotyping freely I bet a Tiger 800X gets bought by someone dreaming of riding round the world and lives in a garage whereas a vstrom or nc gets commuted and parked up at work every day

LOL - there's a lot of that happening!
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »
I had a test ride on the new Tiger 800 XRT on Saturday.

It's the best bike I have ever ridden, and I really mean that.

Honestly, this is like a more powerful, top of the line premium CB500X, if there were ever such a thing. Literally couldn't fault the bike at all and is superb on the motorway, superb out of the box windscreen and cruise control making it even more tolerable. Never would have thought I'd appreciate a heated seat either.   :001:  and boy what a luxuriously comfortable seat it is!

Sadly, out of my price range. Seriously looking at a used XRX though, which is effectively the same bike, without the spec.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:16:32 AM by Applecorp »

Recent Topics