Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi engine bars  (Read 223 times)

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ayr
Givi engine bars
« on: January 06, 2019, 04:10:10 PM »
Hi , Has anyone figured out if it is possible to remove what I believe are the mid cowl plastics without removing the engine protection bars made by Givi . They are a right royal PITA to remove and replace especially the under headlight bracketry . God help you if you need under the plastics on the road (even to top up coolant they have to be loosened) . I thought about removing the indicator stalk but shy away from possibly  breaking any plastics . Might just change for other bars with easier access .

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
Re: Givi engine bars
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »
I adjusted my valve clearances this past summer and removed the plastics all without removing the Givi bars. A bit tight at times which necessitated a bit more work than it would be if they weren't there but still doable.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:04:43 PM »
Bars in place, And panels can be removed.
On reassembly if you put silicone grease...(.get from a plumbers merchant....dont use ordinary grease..)..and put this  on the rubber grommets and the pegs on the plastic fairings, it make such a difference in easy removal.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:05:34 PM by bullroarer »
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline CalmBiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2015
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »
Yes, I've done it too to perform a coolant change. I ended up taking the inner plastic parts of the panels out first with a few clips and phillips screws removed. The larger panels then pivot out OK.

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ayr
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »
Yes , first time I separated the black plastic from the mid cowl , I don't like routinely screwing into plastic though , I'm sure there is a limit to how often you can before they strip out . The cowl I can detach with ease but it has to come straight up and the indicator stalk prevents this . Maybe next time ? John.

Recent Topics