Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Performance enhancement...  (Read 3168 times)

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: Performance enhancement...
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 11:21:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Don't want to sound like a killjoy (but I will...) If you're planning a long tour to Beijing, I think any money would be better spent on quality gear and luggage. In the great scheme of things, a few extra horses won't matter a jot over those sort of distances, whereas top notch earplugs, Jacket, Boots, Helmet, undergear etc. makes all the difference on a big trip

You'll have to do better than that to kill my joy.  The bike and I are already kitted up to the max.  I've done a few trips into remote places before (just not on this bike) so kit's not the issue.  Just curious about what difference Geoff's magic wand might make.

Of course he's not going to turn the 500x into an S1000XR but if all he did was smooth out the slow running, that would be worthwhile...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 11:55:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
You'll have to do better than that to kill my joy.  The bike and I are already kitted up to the max.  I've done a few trips into remote places before (just not on this bike) so kit's not the issue.  Just curious about what difference Geoff's magic wand might make.

Of course he's not going to turn the 500x into an S1000XR but if all he did was smooth out the slow running, that would be worthwhile...

Fair enough if you're already sorted, gear-wise...is your engine bone stock at present?

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 12:06:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Fair enough if you're already sorted, gear-wise...is your engine bone stock at present?

Yep. And I dont want to change anything that will stop the man with a hammer in Kyrgisthan from fixing it...

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 01:33:54 AM »
well, then changing to a CATless header and exhaust set would not make any difference in repairability, but still potentially add some power with a custom tune.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 01:10:47 AM »
 Almost all ( but not all) ECU reflashes I have had done have not yielded much in the way of top power. But they did make a huge difference ( every one ) to the rideablity of the bike. Virtually all fattened up the middle ( the important bit for the road. Top end is for the track). Some with huge improvements. Usually better fuel economy with richer fuelling ( sounds up side down doesn't it. But it isn't for a number of good physics/chem reasons). Some bikes went from impossibly snatchey throttles or simple running VERY badly at low revs and off closed throttle ( Yamaha MT07 and KTM 690 Duke noteably). Sally's KTM 690 Duke jumped all over the place at 60 kph and worse would stand up and run straight coming out of a corner from a trailing throttle, until it was reflashed
You can also keep the open/closed loop systems that improve cruising.
Sometimes things you think are clutch problems are closed/open throttle fuelling transitions.
The engineers DO know what they are doing. They are NOT making the bike rideable for you but making the bike consistantly meet ridiculous emissions stantards. NONE of these standards model correctly actual real world  running , so the final result is often worse pollution. Especially on motorcycles.
I will reflash mine as soon as I fine a reflasher I trust to do Honda's chastity belt ECU.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage