Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A question about stanchions....  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Badseeds

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA-D
  • City / Town: Beccles
A question about stanchions....
« on: January 30, 2019, 10:35:17 PM »
I purchased some used stanchions and had them hard-chromed and now they're back, I notice that an inside bush has spun and is blocking a hole. I don't know if this is important, or if they were like that before I sent them. I'm aware the build-quality is questionable from the factory....

I asked A.M. Philpot http://www.amphardchrome.co.uk/, who did the work, and they indicated that perhaps one leg works damping whilst the other works preload.... Thing is, an identical set of components were removed from each leg and the forks aren't adjustable anyway 😐

Thoughts?

A bike is for life, not just for Sunday. Live to ride, ride to work.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
Re: A question about stanchions....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 05:41:22 AM »
Worry not
As I remember those holes are below the seal, so they not perform any function. When I removed my stanchions i remember having those in random areangement too. If you're concerned, you can move them around by hand tobget the holes aligned on the stanchion and the inside metal bushing

Offline Badseeds

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »
Thank you very much, Oyabun  :821:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:14:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Badseeds [+]
I purchased some used stanchions and had them hard-chromed and now they're back, I notice that an inside bush has spun and is blocking a hole. I don't know if this is important, or if they were like that before I sent them. I'm aware the build-quality is questionable from the factory....

I asked A.M. Philpot http://www.amphardchrome.co.uk/, who did the work, and they indicated that perhaps one leg works damping whilst the other works preload.... Thing is, an identical set of components were removed from each leg and the forks aren't adjustable anyway 😐

Thoughts?

Did he do a good job at AMP? This is something I envisage for my X in a while. Would be interesting to know how they perform with OEM and aftermarket seals...from what I gather, they usually strip back, over coat then grind/polish back to tolerance.

Offline Badseeds

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 06:13:09 PM »
I've been using Philpots for over 15 years and never had a problem. I only ever use genuine seals, where possible. I dropped them off at their premises in Luton as I had an appointment in the area. 3 weeks and 175 later, they were delivered to my house. They even engrave your name in them so's they're tracked in the factory.

If you're planning on keeping your bike for a long time, hard-chroming is absolutely necessary for British Winters!

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Badseeds [+]
I've been using Philpots for over 15 years and never had a problem. I only ever use genuine seals, where possible. I dropped them off at their premises in Luton as I had an appointment in the area. 3 weeks and 175 later, they were delivered to my house. They even engrave your name in them so's they're tracked in the factory.

If you're planning on keeping your bike for a long time, hard-chroming is absolutely necessary for British Winters!

Good to know! Thanks for getting back. I know Brooks Barn offer hard chroming; whether they do it in house or ship them out I don't know. They seem pretty big on suspension refurbs...

I just ACF 50 the living sh*t out of mine and hope for the best... :027:

Offline Samsgrandad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Langport
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 11:10:22 PM »
I can make another recommendation for Philpotts. I have had 2 or 3 sets of forks hard Chromed by them over the years on  bikes I have restored. Always good turnaround and quality work.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 08:02:01 PM »
Actually they do perform a function. They are not blocked. Oil can travel around the metal slug in the bottom and to the hole and into the thin chamber between the stanchion and the outer leg This lubricates the bushings and the stanchion and leg. Also provides a bit of damping. If you put Andreani cartridges in you have to remove that slug and the oil flows even freerer.
Here is a picture of the valving from the 2 legs. As you can see they have different valving. You can see the hole that allows the oil through from the inside to the hole in the stancion.
You won't see this on the parts diagrams as it is peened into the fork leg.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »
Greg for president.
I knew the oil lock function at the end, bit never really thoughr about rhe lubricantion for the bushings.
How did you remove the whole inteenal valving assembly from the stanchions?
Cut the peening on the lathe?

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 12:57:01 AM »
"Cut the peening on the lathe?"
Correct. Not my lathe though as it needed a centre hole in the jaws of the stanchion size. My lathe isn't that big unfortunately. Had to borrow one.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage