Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Won’t start  (Read 829 times)

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
Won’t start
« on: February 06, 2019, 05:20:58 AM »

I went to my shop, suited up, rolled out and it wouldn’t start. The starter spins without trying to start. The fuel pump sounds exactly as it always has. I rode the day before and had no issues. I’m wondering if anyone else has solved this problem. Thanks,T
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: Won’t start
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »
I had that on one of my GS's. The starter clutch rollers were frozen. I'll check my manual and see what it has on the starter clutch.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 05:59:38 PM »
If you can't read these pics, please let me know.

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:41 AM »
Thank you EscCtrl for your time and detailed response. I'm sorry, I was unclear in my initial post. Let me give a better description. When I try to start it, it spins as if the coil wire has been pulled.
I removed the cowling today, will check for spark to start the day tomorrow. Any troubleshooting tips or advice is certainly appreciated. Cheers, T
Draining about 4 gallons of fuel before tilting tank will be step One from now on.  :138:
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
  • Ride safe / Ride forever
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 05:56:11 AM »
Are you saying that the starter motor spins but the motor doesn't turn over?
or
The starter motor spins, the motor turns over but doesn't fire?
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:51:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Harry [+]
The starter motor spins, the motor turns over but doesn't fire.
Spins no fire. Thanks,T

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 12:11:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Uncle Tee [+]
Thank you EscCtrl for your time and detailed response. I'm sorry, I was unclear in my initial post. Let me give a better description. When I try to start it, it spins as if the coil wire has been pulled.
I removed the cowling today, will check for spark to start the day tomorrow. Any troubleshooting tips or advice is certainly appreciated. Cheers, T
Draining about 4 gallons of fuel before tilting tank will be step One from now on.  :138:

You're welcome and I understand better now. Check your kill switch, side stand switch, and clutch switch. If you dive into the coils, check to see if they are getting power to them. No spark doesn't always mean a bad coil. It could be something stopping power from getting to them. There is a wiring diagram PDF posted on here. A search should turn it up.

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »
The engine needs fuel and spark to start up. Since the starter motor is turning the engine over (you can hear the pistons pumping up and down), then either fuel or spark are absent.
If you crank the starter motor for a while, do you smell unburnt fuel coming out of the muffler? If so, then there is fuel and no spark in the cylinder. If not, then there is no fuel reaching the cylinder.
If there is no fuel, check the fuel injector and fuel pump fuses under the seat (I'm assuming both exist).
If there is no spark, the traditional way to check is to remove a spark plug, seat it into the spark plug lead, rest the plug on a metal surface, then crank the starter and observe if there is a blue spark on the electrode tip of the plug. If not, suspect a failed ignition coil (unlikely) or ignition amplifier (more likely).
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
Have fun getting to the spark plugs on this bike!   :232:
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline CodeSlow

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lockport, IL
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 05:36:03 PM »
Fuses are the easiest to check, so starting there would be a good start.  (Puns are not intended).  Most no starts are simple, whether it be fuses, bad contacts, or a component/system that inhibits ignition and/or fuel.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage