Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyres to travel in australia  (Read 725 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline wywy

  • CB500X Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2016
  • City / Town: adelaide
Tyres to travel in australia
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:41:14 PM »
Hello, It's my time to change my tyres :-)
I'm in australia riding all aroud it.
Mainly road with sometimes some gravel road. like 90/10.
I'm alone on the motorbikes but a have a top case, 2 saddle box, and a big bag.
I don't drive faster than 100km/h.

The motorshop where I am , has Pirelli Angel GT, Dunlop Roadsmart 3 or Michelin Pilots available.
160/60 17,
120/70 17
Any suggestion?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:44:30 PM by wywy »

Offline ewryly

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 393
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »
I'm fond of the Michelins, but I have used both the Michelins (PR3s) and Dunlops (Roadsmart 2s, I believe) on another bike, and I liked both of them.  And I hear the Pirelli's are good, so I think you would be happy with any of them.  Are their significant price differences?

Offline ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1425
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
Another vote for the Michelins. Always preferred those as on-road tires. I found them quieter than other road tires.

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 762
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:29:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by wywy [+]
Hello, It's my time to change my tyres :-)
I'm in australia riding all aroud it.
Mainly road with sometimes some gravel road. like 90/10.
I'm alone on the motorbikes but a have a top case, 2 saddle box, and a big bag.
I don't drive faster than 100km/h.

The motorshop where I am , has Pirelli Angel GT, Dunlop Roadsmart 3 or Michelin Pilots available.
160/60 17,
120/70 17
Any suggestion?

Thanks

I'd go for the Pilots, but remember to fit them upside down seeing as you're in Oz...

Offline gavmac

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 134
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA RRL1 & 3
  • City / Town: Scenic Rim, Qld
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 05:59:18 AM »
I've got Michelin Road 5's on mine now, they seem nicer than the 4's on gravel, I got 15000Km out of the 4's & I'm fairly hard on my tyres.

Online uku383

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 564
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
Whew - tyres. What a hot bed of opinion this is.  :008:

I might as well stick my oar in.

I've ridden both Roadsmart 2s and Pilot Road 4s. I generally sit on about 110km/h. All bitumen riding (only rarely hit a gravel road), and all year riding. I can ride aggressively in the hills to and from work. I've done long trips on all my tyres, with no bad experiences in performance or comfort.

While I can't comment on the 'latest release' options you're thinking of, based on my experience I'd go with the Roadsmarts. I have no experience of how the Angel GT wears - sorry.

REAR TYRE
Best I've run on the Road 4 was 14,400km. The Roadsmart 2s gave me 17,500km (and were changed a tad early). I'm currently riding my second Roadsmart, and I'm nearly at 16,000km. I'll get another 1,000km out of it, easily, and likely a bit more.

I'm likely to use a Roadsmart again - possibly the 3 if the price is comparable, just to see how I go.

FRONT TYRE
I got 20,000km out of a Pilot Road 4, but had hoped for more as I'd reliably experienced 24,000 to 26,000 from Avon Storm 3D X-Ms.

Still on my first Roadsmart 2, at about 16,500km.

From what I've experienced and read, they're all good tyres. However, given the type of riding that you're doing, I'd be thinking about mileage first.

Hope that helps.  :002:
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline gregjet

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 210
  • Country: au
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 10:58:00 PM »
Done a lot of Km in Oz on motorcycles. Until recently my pick was the Michelin Road 4's. They work in ALL weathers and dry or wet, ridiculously hot or cold ( 1degC.).
 But the new Michelin Road5's are something else. Another huge step up and an added bonus of being a bit better in the gravel/dirt roads. Are you coming up Bundaberg (Queensland) way?
If you are touring at legal speeds and loaded they tend to wear flat in the middle but not more than most touring tyres and less than many.

Offline wywy

  • CB500X Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2016
  • City / Town: adelaide
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 06:07:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
I'm fond of the Michelins, but I have used both the Michelins (PR3s) and Dunlops (Roadsmart 2s, I believe) on another bike, and I liked both of them.  And I hear the Pirelli's are good, so I think you would be happy with any of them.  Are their significant price differences?

About 500$ for the tyres and 66$ per tyres to be installed

Offline wywy

  • CB500X Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2016
  • City / Town: adelaide
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 06:10:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
Whew - tyres. What a hot bed of opinion this is.  :008:

I might as well stick my oar in.

I've ridden both Roadsmart 2s and Pilot Road 4s. I generally sit on about 110km/h. All bitumen riding (only rarely hit a gravel road), and all year riding. I can ride aggressively in the hills to and from work. I've done long trips on all my tyres, with no bad experiences in performance or comfort.

While I can't comment on the 'latest release' options you're thinking of, based on my experience I'd go with the Roadsmarts. I have no experience of how the Angel GT wears - sorry.

REAR TYRE
Best I've run on the Road 4 was 14,400km. The Roadsmart 2s gave me 17,500km (and were changed a tad early). I'm currently riding my second Roadsmart, and I'm nearly at 16,000km. I'll get another 1,000km out of it, easily, and likely a bit more.

I'm likely to use a Roadsmart again - possibly the 3 if the price is comparable, just to see how I go.

FRONT TYRE
I got 20,000km out of a Pilot Road 4, but had hoped for more as I'd reliably experienced 24,000 to 26,000 from Avon Storm 3D X-Ms.

Still on my first Roadsmart 2, at about 16,500km.

From what I've experienced and read, they're all good tyres. However, given the type of riding that you're doing, I'd be thinking about mileage first.

Hope that helps.  :002:


It helps a lot Thanks

Offline wywy

  • CB500X Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2016
  • City / Town: adelaide
Re: Tyres to travel in australia
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 06:11:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I'd go for the Pilots, but remember to fit them upside down seeing as you're in Oz...

 :152: :152: :080:

Thanks

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage