Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spares for an expedition...  (Read 825 times)

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
Re: Spares for an expedition...
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 09:49:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
Crikey - thatís a lot of watching!!
Yeah - we've had a crappy winter up here in the Pacific Northwest and I've watched most of it, there are a few DVDs I haven't got round to.

I dozed off a few times because it's mostly people talking about their experiences, and had to rewind (do you rewind DVDs?). Anyhoo. The DVDs were shot a few years ago, but the content remains pertinent.

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 10:09:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]
Yeah - we've had a crappy winter up here in the Pacific Northwest and I've watched most of it, there are a few DVDs I haven't got round to.

I dozed off a few times because it's mostly people talking about their experiences, and had to rewind (do you rewind DVDs?). Anyhoo. The DVDs were shot a few years ago, but the content remains pertinent.

Just watched all the intros on YouTube.  Looks quite entertaining.

Expensive though...

Iím half-tempted to get the Gear-Up one, just to have ten people come up with twenty different ideas on what you should and shouldnít take...

:046:

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
Just watched all the intros on YouTube.  Looks quite entertaining.
Expensive though...
Iím half-tempted to get the Gear-Up one, just to have ten people come up with twenty different ideas on what you should and shouldnít take...
 :046:
Your observation isn't far off the mark. The format usually involves some rider or riders sharing their experiences and lessons learned, and then there's another set of riders (or rider) with their differing and or contrary experiences. I found value in all the videos that I watched, even though the pace is a tad glacial. The vids were filmed in various locations, a lot of the content looks like it was in the UK.

Even though the format is pretty simple, it looks like there was a lot of work and thought put into the final production. It is spendy, but I got a deal because it was the last one they had for sale at the rally.

Just my 2Ę: I don't know your level of experience changing tyres but I would get as comfortable as you can with changing tyres and/or tubes or at least having a decent plug kit, and figure out what works best for you and the tyres/rims you have on your bike. I've found that on long trips, flats are the things that usually needs the most attention.

And a toolkit like Jenny Morgan's is probably all you'll need.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:42:31 PM by Twempie »

Recent Topics