Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dodgy Key  (Read 439 times)

Offline CalmBiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2015
  • City / Town: Beverley
Dodgy Key
« on: February 11, 2019, 11:35:14 PM »
I've always thought the ignition was a bit sticky on my CB500X and after owning it for just 18 months, I gave the key a good inspection and found it's twisted. Tried the second key and it works a treat. I tried to get the (now spare) key straightened by the local key cutter and cobbler but it's not helped. Has anyone in the UK got a replacement key, as it would be nice t have a good second key in case something happens to the (now main) key that I'm using?

I'm wondering what it's likely to cost me to get a key cut and coded to the bike's HISS.

Offline Samsgrandad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Langport
Re: Dodgy Key
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
You will probably have to get a key blank from the local Honda dealer, then get it cut and finally take bike and both keys back to the dealer to have the keys coded to the ignition.

I went through all this last year, the key is about 40ish, and recoding another 40- 50.

That is still a lot cheaper than ;using the one good key you have left and then have to replace the HISS unit and ancillaries

Online Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:53:15 PM »
If it works the same as cars just get a blank (ebay) unchipped key cut and put it on a key ring with the coded  twisted key, so long as the coded key is next to the ignition switch it should work that's how we used to get around in the garage if a customer didn't want to spend much on getting it fixed.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Perfictsib [+]
If it works the same as cars just get a blank (ebay) unchipped key cut and put it on a key ring with the coded  twisted key, so long as the coded key is next to the ignition switch it should work that's how we used to get around in the garage if a customer didn't want to spend much on getting it fixed.

:460: love the work-around  :152:

Offline CalmBiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2015
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 06:29:59 PM »
Thanks both :-)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »

presume the HISS 2 works in the same way....

Recent Topics