Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tuning the Madstad 20" screen for a 6' Rider. Trial and Error.  (Read 4306 times)

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Tuning the Madstad 20" screen for a 6' Rider. Trial and Error.
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »
I usually just crack my helmet shield to the first increment, less than an inch open.  When I am moving, even on hot days, that seems fine, though I will open it all the way if it is hot and I am in traffic. 

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 08:10:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
...........There's not much hitting my upper body at all or under the helmet around my neck............

maybe that's where you need to experiment? Rather than trying to get a rider-sized protective bubble behind the screen, try directing the air flow lower, towards your torso/chest....you should get cleaner air at helmet height, and any additional wind noise is easier to remedy.

when you look at truly cossetted touring bikes ('glides, goldwings etc.) they achieve that level of protection with a huge frontal area...I doubt this would be feasible with an X, as the screen size would warrant bigger bracketry and much more support

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 10:59:52 PM »
Im going to try a few more things before I throw in the towel. I want to get the air up over me as I will be doing some massive touring in the next few years and having direct wind at my helmet makes for plenty of neck strain. I otherwise I would simply go screenless ( which I did for the past few days).

Online oldtexan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: East Texas
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2019, 02:22:18 AM »
This is just a "for what its worth".  My Madstad screen is working well for me and here is how it is set up:

I've got  a 20" Madstad screen and winglets installed on a 2018 CB500x.  The bike is basically completely stock.  I have the screen extended as far as possible upward.  The tilt of the screen is three notches from the rear of the tilt slot.  The tilt of the screen - when the bike is on a Honda center stand - is exactly 60 degrees, so probably a couple of degrees less than that when the bike's rear wheel is on the ground.

At 70 MPH I get a lot of air movement going over the top of my helmet, and almost no air movement on my torso or head below that, even at eye level.  I am 5' 11" tall and have an inseam of about 32 inches.  I do not get buffeting (which I think of as being an un-even flow of air) at all, unless passing or being passed or if there is a strong wind velocity from the side.

As I said, FWIW.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:23:18 AM by oldtexan »

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2019, 03:13:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
This is just a "for what its worth".  My Madstad screen is working well for me and here is how it is set up:

I've got  a 20" Madstad screen and winglets installed on a 2018 CB500x.  The bike is basically completely stock.  I have the screen extended as far as possible upward.  The tilt of the screen is three notches from the rear of the tilt slot.  The tilt of the screen - when the bike is on a Honda center stand - is exactly 60 degrees, so probably a couple of degrees less than that when the bike's rear wheel is on the ground.

At 70 MPH I get a lot of air movement going over the top of my helmet, and almost no air movement on my torso or head below that, even at eye level.  I am 5' 11" tall and have an inseam of about 32 inches.  I do not get buffeting (which I think of as being an un-even flow of air) at all, unless passing or being passed or if there is a strong wind velocity from the side.

As I said, FWIW.

Glad to hear that you've found a solution! I usually ran 2nd from full tilt or 3rd notch from full tilt, full extended to highest position. Those yielded the best results with the helmet closed. Helmet open didn't work for me at all.

I have decided to take a few more steps before stopping for a lengthy re-evaluation. I ordered a MRA X-creen touring size with the clip-on mount. I will run through the Givi, OEM stubby, (both with and without Bruudt brackets) and Madstad with the x-creen attached. I'm hoping that between those three screens, and + the variable with the Bruudt brackets that something will work out.

If all else fails, I'll probably ride screenless for a while or maybe look at the +16 screen gain. My buddy let me ride his 2018 and that gave me average results open and closed helmet. Maybe I'll take his bike out with my x-creen attached and see if that's what I need.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »
A small update on the progress here.

I've been looking into other areas not yet explored for my buffeting. Now I'm focusing on my helmet. The one I'm using now is a no-hame branded helmet that came with my last bike. Yes, I should know better. I buy premium helmets like Arai  in the USA.

My lid is very low quality and the face shield & the pivot mounts are all very loose. The whole shield and mount system rock back and forth like a teenager at a Dave Matthews concert. A few days ago I got the bike up to 55mph and put both hands on the pivot points of the face shield to stabilize it. Much less buffeting. I'm going to tape up the helmet and do some testing this weekend.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2019, 10:41:26 PM »
A small update on the progress here.

I've been looking into other areas not yet explored for my buffeting. Now I'm focusing on my helmet. The one I'm using now is a no-hame branded helmet that came with my last bike. Yes, I should know better. I buy premium helmets like Arai  in the USA.

My lid is very low quality and the face shield & the pivot mounts are all very loose. The whole shield and mount system rock back and forth like a teenager at a Dave Matthews concert. A few days ago I got the bike up to 55mph and put both hands on the pivot points of the face shield to stabilize it. Much less buffeting. I'm going to tape up the helmet and do some testing this weekend.

bet you'll be kicking yourself if it turns out all you needed was gaffer tape.... :138:

No matter, if it solves your problem...a loose visor would certainly account for blurred vision :087:

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 05:58:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
bet you'll be kicking yourself if it turns out all you needed was gaffer tape.... :138:

No matter, if it solves your problem...a loose visor would certainly account for blurred vision :087:

I'll simply be glad to know that I can get my wind protection issue resolved. I'm also due for a new helmet, so hopefully this'll kill two birds with one stone.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »
I'll simply be glad to know that I can get my wind protection issue resolved. I'm also due for a new helmet, so hopefully this'll kill two birds with one stone.

I think the solution is definitely a combination of things.  I'm just 5'9", so I can get away with a lower screen, but I think my Shoei RF 1200 helmet makes a big differences.  But if I lived where it is hot all the time, I would look for better ventilation and easily removable pads.  The problem is that helmets can be expensive!

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
You can't let the bastard win you must fight back  the bike is messing with you-here's what I have done is take a large hammer place it on the work bench so the bike can see it and tell the bike what is about to happen to it if it does not do do the right thing - may work if not off with it's head---(windshield brackets) :745:
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Recent Topics