Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike Lift?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
  • City / Town: Sunny Worthing
Bike Lift?
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:50:20 PM »
Hi, as I'm no longer working, I need to get back to doing my own maintenance, for both our 4 wheeler and the motorcycles (one X, one F). I'm a bit tempted by this relatively cheap & space efficient approach to lifting any of them:
https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637173222/combination-trolley-jack-2tonne

But... CB500 family don't have a cradle frame, do we? Can a lift like the above be used with a CB500X? Can it be used if (only if?) the bike has a flat sump guard? I'm thinking initially of the SW Motech one:
https://sw-motech.com/en/products/protection/engine+guard/4052572049143.htm

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Bike Lift?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:48:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by SilverCycle [+]
Hi, as I'm no longer working, I need to get back to doing my own maintenance, for both our 4 wheeler and the motorcycles (one X, one F). I'm a bit tempted by this relatively cheap & space efficient approach to lifting any of them:
https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637173222/combination-trolley-jack-2tonne

But... CB500 family don't have a cradle frame, do we? Can a lift like the above be used with a CB500X? Can it be used if (only if?) the bike has a flat sump guard? I'm thinking initially of the SW Motech one:
https://sw-motech.com/en/products/protection/engine+guard/4052572049143.htm

You'll find various novel ways that people have managed to jack the bike up, including paddock stands and trolley jacks, webbing straps from garage rafters and even suspended from a hanging garden chair frame...needs must, but having dicked about with paddock stands, trolley jacks and bits of wood for most of my bike fettling life, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a proper bike stand. the stand in question is made in the UK by a company called ABBA. It's excellent. I bought the two extra 'legs' that allow you to lift both wheels off the deck simultaneously. Easy to use, rock solid, and packs away smaller than two paddock stands. It'll set you back about 120, which sounds expensive, but when you've used it a few times, you'll realize it's money well spent....you can also buy different 'spacers' to fit other bikes. A great bit of kit, highly recommended

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 01:47:27 AM »
ABBA stands are super cool. I always wanted one while was living back in the States. Back then you couldn't get them easily. That'd be my vote if I was in the market.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 05:56:29 AM »
+1 for the ABBA. I've made one for myself what can be completely dismantled ( both vertical memebers are removable from the bottom part) so it's easier to transport to the track if needed. It's a brilliant idea and very useful tool in the garage.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:13:40 AM by Oyabun »

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »
Yes, I saw ABBA, looks good. Unfortunately better half isn't keen on having her covers replaced with holey ones. And the ABBA style is no use at all for the van. The particular appeal of that Sealey is the bike/car dual use. But I don't think it'll work with CB500 series, they've no lifting surface (somebody tell me I'm wrong?).

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 12:01:14 PM »
Yes, I saw ABBA, looks good. Unfortunately better half isn't keen on having her covers replaced with holey ones. And the ABBA style is no use at all for the van. The particular appeal of that Sealey is the bike/car dual use. But I don't think it'll work with CB500 series, they've no lifting surface (somebody tell me I'm wrong?).

the X is awkward to lift with a flat plate type jack, due to the sump and CAT....the other issue is weight distribution...to lift both ends at the same time means the jack has to be in exactly the right place, otherwise it'll tip front or rear. You could make up an 'adapter plate' from strategically placed blocks of ply (did this for another bike and aircooled VW engines), or you could go ahead a buy a sump guard to provide a flat surface. I wouldn't trust the Alu ones for general/regular maintenance although people on here have said they've lifted their bikes with SW motech and similar...I'd be making a strengthening bar for additional support.

If you were planning to fit a sump guard, then fair enough, but the additional cost, to enable you to use a cheaper trolley jack is a false economy IMHO.

cheapest option is a secondhand centre stand....

another option, if you haven't got a centre stand fitted, is to look at the tube mount that the stand fits in, and fabricate a suitable bar....a pair of trolley jacks would lift either end, as would two A frames that could pivot the bike up...depends how involved you want to get. Personally, I'd bite the ABBA bullet and sell it on when you no longer require it; they're always in demand
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:02:50 PM by Jonathan »

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
Well, I'm trying to deal with both my X and her F. I doubt either of us will need a full sump guard, the F especially, as she's trying to keep it light. So the centre lift seems to be a non option. Debateably that Sealey dual purpose unit isn't rated enough to lift the van anyway. So that's out.

The X has a centre stand already, the F isn't getting one. We may get some kind of trail stand for trips, but I don't much fancy using it for routine maintenance, especially as the workspace is cramped.

She doesn't like the idea of hacking the holes in the swingarm covers, so ABBA isn't going to work for us. A shame as it looks good.

Research continues...

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 06:21:00 PM »
I use a lift jack with my X after removing the lower cowl, 13-15 models. A couple pieces of board and cinch straps around the top of the jack cradle and footpeg brackets hold the bike in place. I prefer a table with wheel chock and scissor type jack.

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
Hi EscCtrl, that sounds interesting. I've love to see a photo of it in use. My 17 X doesn't even have the lower plastics that yours does - although her F does.

(After research, it seems that if a trolley jack is rated at 2 tonnes, that's its lifting weight. So I can lift our < 3 tonne van with it, so long as I don't somehow find a jacking point where the load on the jack exceeds 2 tonnes. And I think that would be nigh on impossible without either using a jacking beam or maybe lifting right at a corner really high, so fighting the opposite corner suspension.) So the dual purpose car/bike trolley appeals again.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
Hi EscCtrl, that sounds interesting. I've love to see a photo of it in use. My 17 X doesn't even have the lower plastics that yours does - although her F does.

(After research, it seems that if a trolley jack is rated at 2 tonnes, that's its lifting weight. So I can lift our < 3 tonne van with it, so long as I don't somehow find a jacking point where the load on the jack exceeds 2 tonnes. And I think that would be nigh on impossible without either using a jacking beam or maybe lifting right at a corner really high, so fighting the opposite corner suspension.) So the dual purpose car/bike trolley appeals again.

It will be about a month before I get my bike on the lift jack. I'll get a pic. I have to remove the lower cowl to jack the bike up.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage