Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best tyres for cornering and handling  (Read 4037 times)

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
Re: Best tyres for cornering and handling
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 04:56:14 AM »
Paula,
Note that unless you can get a 150/60 , which is an uncommon size but is available in some, a 150/70 is 12mm HIGHER than a 160/60 (102mm (150/70) from bead as opposed to 90mm ( 150/60).
It's the reason I stayed with the original size (160) rather than a preferred size smaller.

Offline Paulawilks

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Nelson N.Z
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 04:16:09 AM »
Hello all,
I changed the original Dunlop tires for Michelin Road 5 (front and rear).
The handling has improved incredibly. It now corners like a decent bike should.
I am not saying the Michelins are the best tyre out there but without doubt the Dunlops are TERRIBLE.
In my opinion they are bordering on dangerous.
I recommend all CB500X riders ditch the Dunlops asap.
thanks again for all your comments.
Peter and Paula Wilks
Nelson NZ

Paula

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 04:05:45 PM »
Metzeler Roadtec 01, the best tire I have tryed in 55years of riding.

Superplasma.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »
Superplasma,
I am a huge Michie Road 4 and 5 fan, but the Metzelers seem to get the pointy end nod from most actual tests. Can't get them here.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 10:12:56 AM »
Also recent tests (and my own limited experience) points to Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. Even if I'm a Michelin fan and never really liked Pirellis, have to say that moving from Pilot 5 to the Trail II was a noticeable improvement (on the ATAS, yet to try on 500x).

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
I've got Pirelli Angel ST's on my bike at the moment, and they are fantastic!

On my last bike I had Continental Conti-Motion fitted and again they were very good, wore the back tyre right down to the steel belt without realising.....   :112:

Worth mentioning too that both were VERY reasonably priced, in each case I paid under 200 for the pair, fitted and balanced.  Now that can't be bad!  :028:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »
I have been a Bridgestone Tyre fan for as long as i can remember now - last 10 years or so have used 023s on 4 or 5 different bikes always great road holding and superb in the wet.
My usual fitter is a Bridgestone recommended fitter I have used for a long time and he has wanted me to try the T30 tyre but I never did - but this last time (july) I decided to try the brand new T31 and boy are they even better.
I had a couple days up in Yorkshire dales 2 weeks ago and it simply poured down all the time I was there but the T31s never gave a moment of doubt.
95% of us road riders will Never have need of what a modern quality tyre will allow us to do and as always it is what you like as an individual - a friend uses Avon storms and swears by them but you would never get me to use them  :114: its as I said I`m a Bridgestone fan - so you decide  take all the advice in the world but then make YOUR choice  :001:
What riding you do has a major bearing factor obviously - Scorpions were fitted on my X when I got it and nearly scared me to death Yet people swear by them - I don`t ride off road or green trail as a rule so pure road tyres for me.  :002:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:43:05 PM by denislordm »

Offline fatal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x (2019)
  • City / Town: St Helens (ish)
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 07:17:28 PM »
I intend to replace the OE dunlops with Avon Trailriders as and when they have worn down. I had the Avons on a BMW R100GS and a Yamaha XTZ1200, they were excellent wet and dry, and OK for gentle greenlaning, but replaced at around 5000 on the Yam due to wear and squaring off.
I run Avon Storms on my T120, they transformed the feel and general handling of the bike after the OE Pirellis were gone. They again have performed faultlessly in all road conditions, now at 3000 miles on them and plenty of tread left. I also get a warm glow in the knowledge I have supported one of our few remaining manufacturing companies  :002:

Offline Eric31

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
I just removed my Michelin Road 5 after 26000 KM of daily commuting + few escapes in Italy, Portugal and... France.
I now run Metz Roadtec 01 with a lot of regret.

Honestly both are good and effective tyres but Michelin are fun and Metzeler are "sad".

I also noticed that with RT01 the bike is more flat / horizontal than with Road 5 where it is more balanced on the front.

I already know my next set of tyres.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2019, 02:43:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by fatal [+]
I intend to replace the OE dunlops with Avon Trailriders as and when they have worn down. I had the Avons on a BMW R100GS and a Yamaha XTZ1200, they were excellent wet and dry, and OK for gentle greenlaning, but replaced at around 5000 on the Yam due to wear and squaring off.
I run Avon Storms on my T120, they transformed the feel and general handling of the bike after the OE Pirellis were gone. They again have performed faultlessly in all road conditions, now at 3000 miles on them and plenty of tread left. I also get a warm glow in the knowledge I have supported one of our few remaining manufacturing companies  :002:

Agree it is important to support local businesses (wherever is 'local' to you) - particularly when they produce good products and/or have wonderful customer service.  :152:

Recent Topics