Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Chain Adjustment  (Read 2470 times)

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: First Chain Adjustment
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 06:01:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
by the time my chain's knackered it's usually time to grease the swingarm pivot bearings, linkage and wheel bearings, so in for a penny, in for a pound...swingarm off, new chain & sprockets and a relube...it's all done for the next 10K or so

Not a bad practice to get into.  :821:

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 01:30:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
A very few people have gotten over 10,000 miles on the OEM chain, most get much less than that.  Since you will have the rear wheel off to replace the rubber, may as well replace the chain too.  As for the master link, I have always used the clip link and have never had a problem.  I don't take the bike off road, so don't have to worry about anything impacting the master link and causing problems.  Just be sure to put the clip on the right way, fully seat it and look at it every time you lube the chain.  The DID-VX2 520 chain is rated for up to 750cc bike with the clip link.

I got 25,000 each out of the two chains I had on my VFR, including the OEM one.  I believe it was some version of DID, but I'm sure that Honda specked a better chain for that bike than for the CBX.  I'll definitely keep an eye on the chain and if I have any doubts it, I'll replace it when I do the tires. 

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 01:57:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
I got 25,000 each out of the two chains I had on my VFR, including the OEM one.  I believe it was some version of DID, but I'm sure that Honda specked a better chain for that bike than for the CBX.  I'll definitely keep an eye on the chain and if I have any doubts it, I'll replace it when I do the tires.

After cutting my chain off a few weeks ago and putting a DID VX2 on, I got to compare the OEM with the VX2. You can tell the difference in the quality.

Offline reavsie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Dartford
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 02:01:37 PM »
I wonder whether they changed the OEM chain at some point. On my 2014 CBX I got over 36,000 miles from the original chain while running a Scottoiler. It was so good I asked them to replace it with the same, only done 11k on this one so far.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 04:44:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by reavsie [+]
I wonder whether they changed the OEM chain at some point. On my 2014 CBX I got over 36,000 miles from the original chain while running a Scottoiler. It was so good I asked them to replace it with the same, only done 11k on this one so far.

Maybe so. The Scottolier might have made a big difference also. The first owner of my bike was not really into maintenance, unfortunately. I've already noticed a massive increase in MPG and reduced noise since I swapped mine.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 09:34:57 PM »

do you still have the original air in the tyres? :016:

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 02:24:58 AM »

Offline reavsie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Dartford
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 11:24:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
do you still have the original air in the tyres? :016:

No, but I have stuck with the same brand of air...

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
No, but I have stuck with the same brand of air...

10/10.

Superplasma

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage