Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Which Barkbuster hand guards?  (Read 782 times)

dreamzboy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Which Barkbuster hand guards?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by dreamzboy [+]
I also bought the storm but I heard that it doesn't allow the bike to turn either direction full lock.  It will hit the windscreen.  Will it do the same if the screen is raised?  How do you guys/gals lock your bike then?

What about the VPS clearance?  I'm thinking of returning the Storm and get the Honda OEM one for clearance.

Hi Dreamzboy - it's a question that gets asked time and again on here, and it's really down to a number of key variables - basically it depends on what angle you like your bars (rolled forward or slightly back) and whether you have the screen on the higher or lower position...

If you find your guards are touching at the angle you absolutely have to have your bars (even a few degrees back will stop them touching), then you can space the screen forward using longer bolts and tubular spacers - Rally-Raid make some stainless steel ones, or you can put something together yourself from a hardware store if you prefer.

The issue is not the Storm shield so much as the fact that the backbone that comes as the Barkbusters kit is a heavy duty assembly that mounts some distance from the bars to properly protect the levers and switchgear/master cylinder etc. in the event of a drop - and that there is very limited space between the bars and screen on the CB500X. If all you need is weather protection, then the Honda accessory guards look great and will do that job - but they are not going to prevent damage in the event of a drop in the same way.

for info - this is the Barkbuster backbone, with the stock screen in the lower position, at the angle I like my bars:

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

Online ewryly

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
Just finished putting Barkbusters on my bike.  It felt like a rite of passage.  (The men and women who pioneered removing the old bar ends and weights and shared their lessons online deserve all the credit!)  With the stock screen in the lower position, which is where I have had it, the Barkbusters do not hit my screen.  I also don't have heated grips.  I depend on a big heart, warm gloves, and an appreciation of the penitential power of pain.

Online dreamzboy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 08:24:57 PM »
Thanks Jenny and others who have replied.  It's hard to imagine as results vary from one person to another.  Pictures definitely helped a lot for new owner like myself and I appreciate the patience while taking the time to address my question.

I think I value clearance and being able to mount my phone using my mirror bolt.  The Barkbusters might interfere with that and I just raised my wind screen last night. :138:  I don't think I'll need such protection when I go down.  I just need wind protection and occasional debris flying at my knuckles.  I guess I should stock up on couple OEM clutch/brake levers if I do go off-road.  :002:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:44:43 AM »
No worries - although for info. don't worry about your RAM ball - the inner clamps for the Barkbusters are much further down the bars (on the rise part) so there is plenty of room.

If you don't feel you need backbone style hand-guards for the kind of riding you're doing, then I'd suggest some shorty billet levers instead... the Rally-Raid ones are very good - I had them on the Trans-Am 500 bike initially without any hand-guards at all, and dropped the bike a number of times heavily on rocks and they didn't bend or break at all:

Hope that helps...

Jx

Recent Topics