Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 328201 times)

Offline garciawork

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2014, 05:32:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by ogri [+]
I am 5'8'', I'm still try to find comfortable noise level in about 5 months. I have tried without screen (constantly whistle), screen in lower position - it is noisy, in upper position - it is impossible because claps sound on top of my helmet. I got complete silence inside helmet only when I stand on pegs on any speed (I have tried until 60 mi). I have replaced screen bolts on 35mm long ones and have played with them, I tried to change angle of screen by putting small spacers under lower attachment bolts. Now I ride with 1'' spacers, it's little better than just stock windshield in lower position for me, but now I have noticed that I have begin to catch dust in my eyes from everywhere if I keep a small opening of my visor. I want to cry because I very like this motorcycle and in the same time I hate Honda engineers for the ugly windshield turbulence that killing my ears.

Calsci. I have now used it enough in town and on the freeway at 80mph to say it is perfection. Stock sucked. Givi sucked less. Calsci is perfect. Visor up to 55 no problem, SUPER quiet with the visor down. I am 5'9" on a good day.

Offline chumleebonus

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2014, 05:53:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by garciawork [+]
Calsci. I have now used it enough in town and on the freeway at 80mph to say it is perfection. Stock sucked. Givi sucked less. Calsci is perfect. Visor up to 55 no problem, SUPER quiet with the visor down. I am 5'9" on a good day.

I am 6'4'', I also have hearing damage, and ringing became worse with all day rides on the CBX, ---now have the Calsci, and have to 'duck' down to get that sweet spot you are talking about. (the curse of finding wind protection, over 6 feet tall).
I held my hand up on top of the calsci fairing to see if a few more inches of deflection would quiet and quell the noise and buffeting, and yes, just a bit higher.
I ordered the Wunderlich Deflector, and arrived, but mis-completed my order and sent me a 'smoke' tint, instead of the clear plainly ordered.
I am working toward the comfort zone, I finally got on my Past V-strom 1000, with a tall screen with 'LAMINAR LIP' attachments.
I rode a solid month up to Alaska, and explored Canada, so a 6000 mile trip is worth fairing 'due/diligence.   

Offline garciawork

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2014, 05:58:31 AM »
Being short certainly has its advantages at times I must say... Calsci only offers this screen in "Medium" as well. I am sure if they had a tall or XL it may suit you, but I am not sure the CB500X has enough 6 foot plus riders in its demographics to convince them to make a bigger one... Unfortunately.

Offline garciawork

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2014, 05:59:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by MonsterMars [+]
If it's not too much to ask, can you post a pic of the two windshields side by side?  I know the Givi is smaller but by how much...  the OEM windscreen just ain't cutting it for me. 

Maybe a Thailand "Puig" windshield, posted below?  Ha.

Sorry, I missed this. It looks like I will be able to figure out how to upload an image, so I will try to go out to the garage and snap a few pics in a little bit.

Offline chumleebonus

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2014, 06:17:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by garciawork [+]
Being short certainly has its advantages at times I must say... Calsci only offers this screen in "Medium" as well. I am sure if they had a tall or XL it may suit you, but I am not sure the CB500X has enough 6 foot plus riders in its demographics to convince them to make a bigger one... Unfortunately.

Yes, when ordering, I questioned them about calling their 'MEDIUM'---which is the largest made.
Here is a picture of calsci's 'medium', and my goodness, I couldn't imagine how anything larger would fit on the bike.
I wish they offered this unit with a 'final' upturned lip, as I believe it may have saved me from buying the 'Wunderlich' deflector.

Offline crazy doctor

• CB500X God
  • crazy doctor
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500-x black
  • City / Town: chok chai
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2014, 02:33:32 PM »
 :435: Garciawork  as for a shortage of over 6ft riders for the 500 x there are 4 on this forum in the  last 24 hours  it is a great bike for tall bikers. and being tall also has it advantages  :013: :023:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:41:50 PM by crazy doctor »

Offline ogri

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: HONDA CB500X
  • City / Town: Miami, FL
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by chumleebonus [+]
Yes, when ordering, I questioned them about calling their 'MEDIUM'---which is the largest made.
Here is a picture of calsci's 'medium', and my goodness, I couldn't imagine how anything larger would fit on the bike.
From your second picture I have understood CalSci is too huge for this small bike. It is looks like alien head from "Aliens" movie with Sigourney Weaver 1986.

Yesterday I have removed any spacers and return my stock screen in it factory lower position, have ride 40 mi and realize it is best what I can get. I'm looking for way to test ride naked CB500F because both of my helmets are working in the clear air like charm.

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »
ogri:

You can remove the windscreen and ride with just the braces to get a pretty good idea of what the bike is like with no windscreen.  I did that before cutting the braces off of my X.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:38:53 PM by jsonder »
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Heavy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Barrie, Ontario
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2014, 11:29:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by ogri [+]
I am 5'8'', I'm still try to find comfortable noise level in about 5 months. I have tried without screen (constantly whistle), screen in lower position - it is noisy, in upper position - it is impossible because claps sound on top of my helmet. I got complete silence inside helmet only when I stand on pegs on any speed (I have tried until 60 mi).,,I very like this motorcycle and in the same time I hate Honda engineers for the ugly windshield turbulence that killing my ears.

Are you wearing ear plugs?
There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Offline ogri

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: HONDA CB500X
  • City / Town: Miami, FL
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
You can remove the windscreen and ride with just the braces to get a pretty good idea of what the bike is like

Yes, it was a first idea after I stood on the pegs and hear nothing only silence inside my helmet. But after unscrewing windscreen I have got whistle sound constantly. cb500x have dashboard fairing that will work as windshield if you remove yours and it will throw air flow accurate to underneath your helmet and top of your neck. It is impossible to make true naked woman bike from X. I'll try to put screen almost horizontal to cut airflow coming from dashboard fairing and if it will work I will think next how to make it nice viewed and not to break bikes view.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage