Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 316792 times)

Offline 303

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 CB500XA
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #860 on: May 11, 2018, 05:23:03 AM »
I stumbled on Wunderlich yesterday and wondered if they were any good. If you do grab one for the X pls keep us posted.

Offline WayneTalbot

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kelso, NSW
« Reply #861 on: May 11, 2018, 05:32:26 AM »
Will do.
I refuse to grow old until I grow up.
Growing up is for people who have nothing better to do with their lives.

Offline tomp

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Sugar Land
« Reply #862 on: May 11, 2018, 05:42:22 AM »
Currently using the stock '15 windshield in the low position, with a Laminar Lip on it.  The wind hits the shoulders and head, but the there is no buffeting.  Only wish the wind noise was less, like when standing on the pegs at highway speeds.  Almost no noise then, but I can ride standing for only so long, before garnering some LEO's attention.  tomp

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
« Reply #863 on: May 12, 2018, 01:59:56 AM »
Greetings everyone.

Please know this is simply an update report on my Madstad windshield (system?). I honestly have no idea if this system / update might help you or not but here it is, hoping it might. FWIW.

I am 5' 11''...185 lbs. I wear a Shoei helmet. Yes...I know it's a motorcycle...but I will do anything and everything I have to do to be comfortable when I ride. The X is comfortable but...as Everybody knows...not always...but typically has wind "issues." I don't any more. Period. For which I am more than thankful.

Rough weather has slowed down my riding on my 2018 XABS but the riding I've done has been more than just a little varied in some challenging conditions. All asphalt so far. There's been some gitty up Interstate work for a few hours...some fairly steep inclines at relatively high speed (70 mph+)...curvy, up and down back roads for extended periods...etc, etc. Early morning cold...afternoon wind gusts (40 mph+)...some of the usual unpleasantries we riders encounter.

For all the reasons Madstad states...I've been able to effectively reduce all the heavily discussed wind issue by at least 90%...maybe more than that? Not trying to sell Madstad...no connection with them...just sayin'...

I hope this part of riding your X gets worked out for you. While I can't say the Madstad system will work for you...it's made my X an absolute pleasure to ride.

Cheers.
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #864 on: May 12, 2018, 03:32:52 PM »
I give another big thumbs up  :152: for the MadStad system.  My commute is about 20 miles one way and includes twisty back roads, city roads and interstate highway.  I messed around with the stock screen, tilting it with spacers and moving it up and down.  At one point I had made brackets to raise it up in 1 increments to as high as 8 above the stock high position.  I also tried a Givi touring screen knock off.  Also tried tilting and raising that one.  Some configurations gave good results but never entirely what I was looking for to make my daily commutes is all weather as comfortable as I would like.

Then I ponied up for an MadStad system with the 22 screen.  What a difference!  On a couple occasions I have even forgotten to close my face sheild when leaving work until I got on the highway and noticed the wind.  I hear the bike much more now and tend to ride faster because it is so much more comfortable.

Like Winchester, I have no affiliation with MadStad, just a satisfied customer.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:35:22 PM by SnowOwl »
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Celeste1178

• CB500X Pro
  • Hi everybody!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
« Reply #865 on: May 12, 2018, 03:51:44 PM »
I can give another positive review for madstad.  I love mine!  The first time I rode after I installed it was the first time I actually heard my bike because the wind noise was reduced so much.  I have a modular LS2 strobe and enjoy riding with the sun shade down but the visor up.  Prior to the madstad I would have to lower the visor at 35MPH because the wind on the sunshade was too much.  Now, like mentioned above, I will forget I even have the visor up.  I can go 70MPH on the highway with the visor up.  The only time I lower it is due to cold, a cross wind, or to lower the wind noise on the freeway.  Even then, I have had conversations with my sena on the highway with the visor up and the people I'm talking to hear no wind interference.
 :152: :152: :152:

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #866 on: May 12, 2018, 07:30:22 PM »
 :152: OK all you Madstad converts - is there any angle, gap or height that could transfer from your current setup to angling and spacing an existing screen - say by using Bruundt or Palmer?

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
« Reply #867 on: May 12, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Cat,

I'd like to help you but I am not the one to ask. My wife says I should be forbidden to touch tools. I'm sure the good folks here will respond shortly. Good luck!

Cheers.
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #868 on: May 13, 2018, 04:05:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by catstevecam [+]
:152: OK all you Madstad converts - is there any angle, gap or height that could transfer from your current setup to angling and spacing an existing screen - say by using Bruundt or Palmer?
As I noted above, I had played with height and angle on both the stock screen and a Givi touring screen knock off.  I was not able to achieve the results I get from the MadStad.  The MadStad does not have the side scallops the other screens have so it is wider with straight edges on the sides.  It has a single smooth curve, not the compound curves of the other screens.  This likely produces smoother air flow.  It also comes with winglets that mount on the top of the side fairings.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:07:40 AM by SnowOwl »
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #869 on: May 13, 2018, 04:31:18 PM »
The Madstad winglets probably do more good than anything.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics