Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 278179 times)

Offline gamerbfk

• CB500X Member
  • Ride and Stay Alive!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Pinetop-Lakeside
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #280 on: May 14, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »
My new, replacement windshield was  delivered yesterday -- the N20047 VStream Touring Replacement Screen for Honda CB500X (photo, attached).

I LIKE IT.
I'm a satisfied customer.

:028:

I'd say it's a 70% improvement,for sure; maybe even better.

I DEFINITELY FELT THIS WINDSHIELD WAS 'BETTER' at cutting down the wind (that I hated hitting me on the neck).

AFTER RIDING IN THE RAID, one night, maybe I should say this is an 80% improvement.
Because I felt this was probably 'much better' than having all the rain hitting me.

So,  I'd said riding now varies from 'better' to sometimes (in the rain)  'much better.'
depending upon conditions.

I don't want to give a rating, though, that this is the best thing in the world, and would please Everyone without doubt.

But the more I ride with this replacement windshield, the more I appreciate how it's 'better' --- the more riding, the more
appreciation of 'better' becomes.

NOISE?
(but it had no effect on reducing noise and it's not like you're suddenly riding in an isolated capsule.
And it might be folly to give a rating as if it was an Absolute Determination...so I'm giving a 'range'

With the stock windshield, the air was hitting me in the neck; it was intolerable. (Aided by the fact I already  live in a consistently windy environment at this time of year).

Now the air skims across the top of my helmet and on the side it tickles by my elbows.

STATS:
#1.  I'm  6'3" - inseam 33" and so I purchased the largest model I could find.  I wanted the largest windshield built to fit the CB500X.

2. First impression was how much higher quality this was compared to stock: the nuts and bolts (i.e. grommets & brushings, etc.), the thickness and substances, the clarity looking through it; all much better. Makes stock item look like a toy.

3. Installed easily enough and when the (tight) grommets and brushings are in, it would be super easy to take windshield off (like if you wanted to go riding with Crazy Doc or someone who has an ideological aversion to accessories you may choose).

4. My environment's current wind is 27mph (44kph) so I EXPECT wind and might not have the same 'wind reduction expectations' as others. As mentioned, it got the wind from riding off my neck, hardly touching me at all; better to much better.

5. To test it I took it up to 70mph+ (114kph) and the test & concern here was to assess if it was adversely effecting handling. If so, not much...but maybe a little. Nothing to cause a disaster, imo.  (There's a warning label comes with the windshield about this).

6. Makes a bike look a bit more like a touring bike; a short, squat touring bike.

7. The inside of the windshield reflects the fuel cap and 4 orange glows from the LCD display. At first, not knowing what the heck this was and wondering why suddenly there was like a shimmering hologram in front of me, I found this slightly distressing but, as expected, I learned to ignore it, not look at it and forget about it.

8. I'm looking over the top of the windshield. The top of the windshield is below my nose, (in photo, attached) which I read someone into stats recommend...although how anyone could check this out beforehand I don't know. From photo this can be seen. It reaches about up to my stiff upper lip.

9. Another stat man suggested being able to look 50feet ( 15-16 meters) down the road and not be looking through the windshield. Which happen to be just about exactly right for me, when measured (I guess because it's below my nose?).

10. I sort of wonder if it would be nicer an inch or two shorter...but the sports model too short and I'm not sending it back.

11. Maybe adding rubber spacers, (half-inch) I could play around with angle.

12. The width is a perfect fit. It could not be any wider, as another poster noted it's close to bumping up against the mirror stem. For the first time in my life I estimated a measurement, naturally, in metric -- the edge of the windscreen is about 2mm from the mirror stem. The bike's handlebars  can still be twisted and locked, thank goodness, and it's as close as close can be.

ADDED LATER: I've now ordered mirror extenders, to raise the mirrors up a bit and move them out a couple of inches. This may allow me to try the windshield in the higher position, -- also want to add rubber spacer when I do that to angle it a bit more. If that works (someone else on this thread mentioned doing that) I think such fiddling around with different height and angle could definitely move up my estimate to 'Better+' -- (and Much Better+ in the rain)

ADDENDUM, ADDED LATER. A subsequent post saying I just 'wanted to like the windshield' is ridiculous. It's pretty simple: I got a product; I like it. EVERY OTHER MENTION OF THE VSTREAM IN THIS THREAD SAYS THEY LIKE IT. (2 or 3 in this thread, and ALL reviews I found at other sites). No review said it was trash; not one...and not mine either.

If I didn't like it, I'd send it back or say so.

As far as the later post by the apparently 'Psychic Poster' who claims to be able to spot such nuisances between actually liking something vs. 'wanting' to like something, I'd suggest he keep his day job, but his psychic powers have apparently withered on the vine.

Although maybe his next game could be pretending to buy things, and giving more psychic reviews about his non-existent purchases.

Have a nice day. Rock on.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:22:24 AM by gamerbfk »
Ride and Stay Alive!

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #281 on: May 14, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by gamerbfk [+]
My new, replacement windshield was  delivered yesterday -- the N20047 VStream Touring Replacement Screen for Honda CB500X (photo, attached).

I LIKE IT.
I'm a satisfied customer.

:028:

I'd say it's a 70-80% improvement. I'd said riding now varies from 'better' to 'much better.'
(but it had no effect on reducing noise and it's not like you're suddenly riding in an isolated capsule.
And it might be folly to give a rating as if it was an Absolute Determination...so I'm giving a 'range'

With the stock windshield, the air was hitting me in the neck; it was intolerable. (Aided by the fact I already  live in a consistently windy environment at this time of year).

Now the air skims across the top of my helmet and on the side it tickles by my elbows.

STATS:
#1.  I'm  6'3" - inseam 33" and so I purchased the largest model I could find.  I wanted the largest windshield built to fit the CB500X.

2. First impression was how much higher quality this was compared to stock: the nuts and bolts (i.e. grommets & brushings, etc.), the thickness and substances, the clarity looking through it; all much better. Makes stock item look like a toy.

3. Installed easily enough and when the (tight) grommets and brushings are in, it would be super easy to take windshield off (like if you wanted to go riding with Crazy Doc or someone who has an ideological aversion to accessories you may choose).

4. My environment's current wind is 27mph (44kph) so I EXPECT wind and might not have the same 'wind reduction expectations' as others. As mentioned, it got the wind from riding off my neck, hardly touching me at all; better to much better.

5. To test it I took it up to 70mph+ (114kph) and the test & concern here was to assess if it was adversely effecting handling. If so, not much...but maybe a little. Nothing to cause a disaster, imo.  (There's a warning label comes with the windshield about this).

6. Makes a bike look a bit more like a touring bike; a short, squat touring bike.

7. The inside of the windshield reflects the fuel cap and 4 orange glows from the LCD display. At first, not knowing what the heck this was and wondering why suddenly there was like a shimmering hologram in front of me, I found this slightly distressing but, as expected, I learned to ignore it, not look at it and forget about it.

8. I'm looking over the top of the windshield. The top of the windshield is below my nose, (in photo, attached) which I read someone into stats recommend...although how anyone could check this out beforehand I don't know. From photo this can be seen. It reaches about up to my stiff upper lip.

9. Another stat man suggested being able to look 50feet ( 15-16 meters) down the road and not be looking through the windshield. Which happen to be just about exactly right for me, when measured (I guess because it's below my nose?).

10. I sort of wonder if it would be nicer an inch or two shorter...but the sports model too short and I'm not sending it back.

11. Maybe adding rubber spacers, (half-inch) I could play around with angle.

12. The width is a perfect fit. It could not be any wider, as another poster noted it's close to bumping up against the mirror stem. For the first time in my life I estimated a measurement, naturally, in metric -- the edge of the windscreen is about 2mm from the mirror stem. The bike's handlebars  can still be twisted and locked, thank goodness, and it's as close as close can be.

Have a nice day. Rock on.
I may be wrong  but it sounds like you really want to like this shield  but if there is no reduction of noise?  I'm at a lost.
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Tas

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: White CB500X
  • City / Town: Hobart
« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2015, 05:00:59 AM »
Ive been playing with my cheap $50 chinese spoiler and am close to concluding it doesnt help. With Spoiler angled outwards away from me at a steeper angle than rake angle of stock screen, get lots of helmet noise. Only time noise disappeared was with stock screen on low setting and spoiler angled towards me as I posted earlier. But no difference from stock screen without spoiler. Ive been using it this week with stock screen on high and dont like any settings of spoiler.

So Spoiler will come off on the weekend and will try stock screen on high for a while (which I did a year ago before putting screen back to low). Then will do the spacer trick on the lower bolts to reduce angle of rake of stock screen on low. I was pretty happy with stock screen on low anyhow but have also enjoyed some cheap tinkering which has confirmed I will not buy a tall screen. I dont mind the wind blast to my neck and prefer it to the helmet noise when it blasts at top of helmet.

Offline gamerbfk

• CB500X Member
  • Ride and Stay Alive!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Pinetop-Lakeside
« Reply #283 on: May 15, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
The Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L New for 2016 just got announced.

I like the windshield (windscreen) height. (for my size, tall)
In my post about getting the tallest N/C Vstream I concluded that it was 'better' and maybe (much better), depending upon one's grading styles but did wonder if maybe just a bit, an inch or two shorter, would be nicer. (nicer, much better). But that option is not one of the possibilities....I'll play around with angles and heights more today.

The purpose of the windshield? Someone asked? -- like on the new Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L and CB500X, etc. is to cut down the wind hitting the rider.

:017:

In my last post I mentioned that it was intolerable how the wind was pounding me on my neck...just beating me up and I realized that a 600+ mile round trip I had in mind (1,000km), was going to be more of an ordeal than I wanted.

From my dictionary: Windshield 
Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
windshield  (wĭnd′shēld′)

n.
1. A pane of usually curved glass or other transparent shielding mounted in front of the occupants of a vehicle to protect them from the wind.
2. A shield placed to protect an object from the wind.
American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Maybe expecting it to also cut down noise is a bit off-target. Others on this thread talk about how different models of helmets might help do that, or using ear plugs (why not?). Or when getting older folks get a bit hard of hearing so time will help, too.

I was impressed, though, but someone putting a huge -- oh, so large -- windshield on a Honda Gold Wing and it had a vent in it. I don't know if I'd want to ride around seeing that vent in front of my face but it did seem to make an incredible difference in cutting down the noise on that model machine...so getting a Honda Gold Wing with this new windscreen model might help?

Or maybe the noise is less on this new Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L?

But I'm happy with my middleweight Honda CB500X for now...although the idea of starting to collect several models of motorcycles has some appeal to me; maybe when I win the state lottery. And, reference OP, my new N/C Stream is a nice improvement, the wind no longer pounding me on my neck, thank goodness!

For cutting down noise I would suggest considering different helmet and ear plugs....though personally I still like to hear the sounds of the road, to stay alert for cars and trucks and other traffic situations; I wouldn't want to block out the noise completely, nor do I think that could be done.

Have a nice day. Rock on. [&, today,--  RIP B.B. King]
Ride and Stay Alive!

Offline Tas

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: White CB500X
  • City / Town: Hobart
« Reply #284 on: May 21, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »
Ive finally decided my $50 chinese spoiler is a failure. Like those buying tall screens it causes big increase in head buffeting, helmet noise and visor fogging. I am back to the stock screen on low settings with 5mm rubber electrical grommet spacers on lower bolts so its as far out from bottom and I tightened the top bolts to be close in to the mounting bracket. So I have a nice big gap at bottom of screen and the angle of the screen is more angled towards me. Ride in this morning and I love it. No more noise and buffeting or fogging. Its the quietest its been. I will say Im 6' 3" and I dont mind the wind hitting my neck and shoulders. So thanks to the others here on the spacer trick, should have done it a year ago!

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #285 on: May 22, 2015, 03:47:11 AM »
Embrace the dark side  go naked
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #286 on: May 22, 2015, 02:54:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]

Yuppers!

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 23, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »
I am 6'2" tall and bought a California Scientific wind screen.

Like you I found a tall wind screen deflected the wind from my chest to the top of my helmet, but did not eliminate all the wind noise. I know from leaning forward there is a quiet spot behind the wind screen which may be good for shorter riders.

Buying a Shoei RF1200 full face helmet moved the noise from inside my helmet to outside my helmet. Buying a set of Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender ear plugs deadened the wind noise to a comfortable level, while still allowing me to hear what I needed.

Offline @lornejack

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: COTU
« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »
Great study on noise, helmets and screens

http://www.isvr.co.uk/reprints/inter96mc.pdf

Answer is Earplugs

Offline grnd0

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 CB500X
« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2015, 04:18:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]

Screw the screen. Tried up, down, in, out, you know the drill.
Always too much noise even with ear plugs. Stand up, noise
goes down 50%. Just got a new Shoei Hornet X2 and went
for a ride today and noise was just as bad as my Scorpion
EXO 1100. Go home, remove the turbulence inducing piece,
then back out to see what naked feels like. Fantastic. Noise
cut at least in half. Can't get myself to cut the brackets so I
just taped them. Look like bat ears. Darkside embraced.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage