Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 278195 times)

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #440 on: November 23, 2015, 04:12:58 AM »
I have the 118bikes Honda (AKA Givi) windshield.On the low setting I have good air block, but suffer a lot of buffeting on the back of my helmet which causes it,and my head,to shake badly.Sometimes bad enough to cause blurred vision.I can slouch and lean forward a little and it helps.Raising it to the upper position only barely makes a difference.Most of it happens around 45mph and gets worse with speed.I am convinced that spacing the windshield will help.My plan is to order the Bruudt windshield mount.It adds spacing and more adjustability.I also think that Madstad is onto something with their little air deflectors on top of the middle cowl next to the tank.I think those will help as well.

Bruudt mount.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/mSNMwQ5lHFU

Madstad middle cowl wind deflectors.

Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Grim Rider

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Codsall
« Reply #441 on: November 23, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »
Having a gap in the screen (like C-Rider's above and as comes with certain screens such as the MRA Vario) does seem to me to make a big difference in terms of the wind pressure and noise experienced behind the screen.
2017 BMW RnineT Racer S; 2001 BMW R1150 GSA; 1990 BMW K1; 1998 Suzuki DR350S; 1978 Laverda Jarama; 1977 Honda Camino;1962 AJS 250 CSR
www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com

Offline ghartm

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500x +
  • City / Town: St. Louis area
« Reply #442 on: November 23, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
I've installed the Madstad windscreen pictured above only the 20 inch version. It has made a world of difference in riding comfort. You can still get some buffeting depending on the the environment your riding in, for example on the interstate around large trucks and lots of traffic at high speed you can feel the turbulent air. However I generally can ride with my face shield open with only a little wind noise. I have a Shoei Neotech modular and can ride with the chin bar up without turbulence or noise.
passion for motorcycles since birth.

Offline C-rider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Hamilton
« Reply #443 on: November 25, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grim Rider [+]
Having a gap in the screen (like C-Rider's above and as comes with certain screens such as the MRA Vario) does seem to me to make a big difference in terms of the wind pressure and noise experienced behind the screen.
Yes, Grim.  There is a 1/2" gap between the top of the screen and the face shield, which happened purely because of the "clampy things" I used. (Still can't remember where those things came from.  Some gazebo kit or something.  Anyway they never come loose and the whole thing unscrews in 15 sec.)  Anyway, I agree that the gap is important.  I also previously put 3/8" spacers in the Honda tall screen which improved things.  I am really enjoying being "unruffled".

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 09, 2015, 09:32:56 PM »
I have the bikes118, Givi knock off, windshield.I've done 500 miles with it,and above  50 mph,it feels like I am being buffeted by a semi(lorry).The bike shakes around a lot.This only happens on the high position.Either position,causes my helmet to buffet so bad I can't read road signs as I pass by.During one of my rides,I ran through a dust storm caused my a tractor cutting the right of ways on the road.When I went through it,dust was immediately sucked up around the bars between me and the windshield,directly in my face shield.I think Madstad is onto something with those little wing things that mount a top the middle cowl.I also think that spacing the windshield out, and laying back the windshield will help,as reported by members here.I'll get on this after Xmas.

Current bikes

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #445 on: December 10, 2015, 12:12:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
I have the bikes118, Givi knock off, windshield.I've done 500 miles with it,and above  50 mph,it feels like I am being buffeted by a semi(lorry)

I thought I'd escaped buffeting threads when I left the V-Strom forums. Now that is a bike that is designed to rip your head off. Almost cured by Madstad + MRA and hours of adjusting the settings.

Now here is the buffeting again.

Wind is very fickle. I have the standard screen ( low one I guess ) and I feel wind pressure but little or no buffeting. I must be just the right size for it at 5'9".
Brian.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
« Reply #446 on: December 10, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I must be just the right size for it at 5'9".

Same height here and I agree, I find the stock screen pretty good, no complaints at all. Its my first faired bike so nothing to compare it to but I'm pretty happy with it.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #447 on: December 10, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I thought I'd escaped buffeting threads when I left the V-Strom forums. Now that is a bike that is designed to rip your head off. Almost cured by Madstad + MRA and hours of adjusting the settings.

Now here is the buffeting again.

Wind is very fickle. I have the standard screen ( low one I guess ) and I feel wind pressure but little or no buffeting. I must be just the right size for it at 5'9".
[/quote
I has 2 DL's and I feel your pain  in the end what I did was re drill the stock shield and lower it worked great after that  clean air
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 10, 2015, 09:45:30 PM »
I have the OE low windshield.It pushes air up under my helmet and causes it to shake uncontrolably.Doesn't matter the setting.I'm starting to hate this bike with a passion.I went back to the dealer I bought mine from today,and looked at other bikes.They have no plans to carry the CB-X or NC700.Mine set there for nearly two years before I came along and bought it.It took them nearly three years to sell the NC700.Their main sellers are sport bikes.
Current bikes

Offline Lazy Rider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Pointe-Claire
« Reply #449 on: December 10, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
I'm wondering if it is possible that the buffeting that some people experience is caused by the design of the helmet. I've used the original screen in high and low positions and I now have the MRA Vario touring screen. I've never experienced any buffeting with either screen. I'm 6' (182 cm) and use an Arai Defiant helmet.
I may not be fast, but I'm slow.

Recent Topics