Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 278161 times)

Offline ngling

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rockhampton
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #450 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lazy Rider [+]
I'm wondering if it is possible that the buffeting that some people experience is caused by the design of the helmet. I've used the original screen in high and low positions and I now have the MRA Vario touring screen. I've never experienced any buffeting with either screen. I'm 6' (182 cm) and use an Arai Defiant helmet.

I think it is more of a case of people's perception of what is tolerable and what isn't. There are probably hundreds of posts on this topic in various forums and you will rarely get a consensus of whether a screen is good or not. I use a Madstad screen which I find very good, but others have a totally different opinion.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #451 on: December 11, 2015, 01:55:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lazy Rider [+]
I'm wondering if it is possible that the buffeting that some people experience is caused by the design of the helmet. I've used the original screen in high and low positions and I now have the MRA Vario touring screen. I've never experienced any buffeting with either screen. I'm 6' (182 cm) and use an Arai Defiant helmet.

I have three and it's the same with all of them.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline C-rider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Hamilton
« Reply #452 on: December 11, 2015, 02:20:42 AM »
Helmet design will affect noise but can do little about buffeting.
I think Grim Rider is right about the gap at the top of the windshield being the key.  Since I posted a couple of weeks ago about my faceshield add-on, I've been enjoying the ride more and more.  I'm in calm and fairly quiet air, except for stiff side-winds.  It's never been so good on any bike I've owned.  I'm even getting used to the look of the thing. 

Offline RobG

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Texas
« Reply #453 on: December 11, 2015, 02:36:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by ngling [+]
I think it is more of a case of people's perception of what is tolerable and what isn't. There are probably hundreds of posts on this topic in various forums and you will rarely get a consensus of whether a screen is good or not. I use a Madstad screen which I find very good, but others have a totally different opinion

I agree...I'm using the OEM screen set on the high position and depending on the wind speed and direction the buffeting isn't that bad at all for me. I'm short at 5' 6"... :027:
2015 Honda CB500X (Gone But Never Forgotten)
2014 HD Low Rider
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #454 on: December 11, 2015, 04:42:03 AM »
I'm going to throw this out there  after 4 different adventure style bikes and now the 500X I know why so many different shields don't work  not only is it the angle of the shield but much more importance the distance of the shield to the rider   the Madstad system works because not only does it change the angle but by doing so puts the shield closer to the rider  I have proved this on my 500X by mounting a National Cycle shield to the Handlebars almost straight up but a good 4-6 inches closer  the top of the shield is in the middle of my nose  no wind- no noise- no buffeting- no air coming up and clear view of speedometer  my phone doesn't do pictures so don't ask  some might not like the way it looks  most don't even notice it  does take a little fab work making new rods out of 5/16 cold roll and I made it a four point mount and I'll repeat this- it does work-
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #455 on: December 11, 2015, 11:44:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
.I'm starting to hate this bike with a passion.

I know that feeling, not with the X but the Strom. The buffeting was bad enough to blur my vision at times but I more or less solved that, what I could not solve was my fear of it's top heavy weight. Just my size and strength, if I got on uneven ground and one foot went down a long way it was on it's way over, it never did but it was too close for comfort. It was a truly great tourer, arm chair comfort, excellent handling, 50 UK mpg.

So I got rid of it after 18 months. Got the X and it suits me perfectly.

My advice is you do the same, biking is about enjoyment not hating your bike.

Over here in Europe sports bike sales have plummeted. Yamaha's best seller in UK is the Tracer. The CB500 in all guises is one of Honda's best sellers. You'll notice the "scrambler" craze this year. The monster saved Ducati's bacon.
Brian.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
« Reply #456 on: December 11, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
For sure, hope you can either figure out the issue(s) with the X or get another bike that suits you better. I've been watching all the new bikes being launched over the past few weeks and I've been drooling quite a bit. I'll be on the X for a few years yet but I can see myself moving on to something else in a few years. Keep us updated as to what you do.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #457 on: December 11, 2015, 12:24:30 PM »
I hope I can get this figured out.I have ideas.My main reason for the larger screen is so I can ride deeper into the winter.We have mild winters but we still have freezing weather,which I won't ride in,unless I know the roads are completely clear.I'm trying to get everything sorted before next spring.I have a scenic tour planned to east Texas to visit a friend.I guess I'm a bit frustrated.I've had some other niggly issues with the CB-X.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #458 on: December 11, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
I hope I can get this figured out.

It can be seriously frustrating. First, how tall are you ?

I've ridden miles waving my hands around like a nutter feeling for the wind, on the Strom. Up a bit, up a bit, up a bit. New angle, down a bit, down a bit, down a bit. Got to be very methodical. This was with madstat bracket and MRA screen. The bracket is great. The MRA screen came with the adjustable top flip up, so another 4 angles to add to the equation.

Just been out on mine, every time I get on it it gets better, I just love this bike. Sunny winter's day, well above freezing and nearly dry roads, grips on heat 2 and heaven.

Good luck with the fix.
Brian.

Offline C-rider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Hamilton
« Reply #459 on: December 11, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
I'm going to throw this out there  after 4 different adventure style bikes and now the 500X I know why so many different shields don't work  not only is it the angle of the shield but much more importance the distance of the shield to the rider   the Madstad system works because not only does it change the angle but by doing so puts the shield closer to the rider  I have proved this on my 500X by mounting a National Cycle shield to the Handlebars almost straight up but a good 4-6 inches closer  the top of the shield is in the middle of my nose  no wind- no noise- no buffeting- no air coming up and clear view of speedometer  my phone doesn't do pictures so don't ask  some might not like the way it looks  most don't even notice it  does take a little fab work making new rods out of 5/16 cold roll and I made it a four point mount and I'll repeat this- it does work-
I agree.  Distance from the helmet is also a key factor in getting smooth wind.  I toyed with some kind of handlebar mounted screen on my X but didn't follow through.  I rode a KLR "C" model (you US guys never got that one) which did not have the framemount fairing.  I fitted a Spitfire shield to it and went through a long period of evolution including add-ons.  But it worked best when it was closest to my face. 

Recent Topics