Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 286674 times)

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb550x
  • City / Town: Swampscott, Mass
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #460 on: December 11, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »
I think this is quite possibly the worst idea posted here, but has anyone tried a sort of double spoiler? 

Kinda of starting with an MRA Vario (something that solved all my problems right out of the box) and then adding another aftermarket spoiler to that? 

It would follow the Gillette razor ethic....just keep on adding blades.
2013 CB500X

Offline ngling

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rockhampton
« Reply #461 on: December 11, 2015, 11:52:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I've ridden miles waving my hands around like a nutter feeling for the wind, on the Strom. Up a bit, up a bit, up a bit. New angle, down a bit, down a bit, down a bit. Got to be very methodical. This was with madstat bracket and MRA screen. The bracket is great. The MRA screen came with the adjustable top flip up, so another 4 angles to add to the equation.

Pretty much how I set up my Madstad screen. Takes a while as you can adjust both height and angle. I ended up at its highest setting and smallest angle. With an 18" screen and my height being about 173 cm (5' 7"), wind hits me just below the top of my visor. This suits me as you get enough breeze to keep you cool. If I rode more in cold weather, I would probably want a 20" screen. Wind deflectors on top of the fairings probably help as well.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #462 on: December 11, 2015, 11:52:56 PM »
It can be seriously frustrating. First, how tall are you ?

I've ridden miles waving my hands around like a nutter feeling for the wind, on the Strom. Up a bit, up a bit, up a bit. New angle, down a bit, down a bit, down a bit. Got to be very methodical. This was with madstat bracket and MRA screen. The bracket is great. The MRA screen came with the adjustable top flip up, so another 4 angles to add to the equation.

Just been out on mine, every time I get on it it gets better, I just love this bike. Sunny winter's day, well above freezing and nearly dry roads, grips on heat 2 and heaven.

Good luck with the fix.

I am 5'8" with a 28 inch inseam.I am long in the body and set high on the bike.My screen barely comes up to my chin on the high setting.Even slouching down,it comes up to the bridge of my nose,and it still gives me grief.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #463 on: December 12, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
I am 5'8" with a 28 inch inseam.

Not that far off me. The stock screen on high setting is quite low down for me so I get wind blast but clean wind blast.

Have you tried a madstat or similar bracket ? One last throw of the dice. And/or one of the adjustable flip tops.
Brian.

Offline C-rider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Hamilton
« Reply #464 on: December 12, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
A big problem with a straight windshield is that you get an airflow that comes over the top nice and smooth and blasts you right in the head, chin or under the helmet, creating a deafening roar.  That air has to be broken up.  You notice some manufacturers have slight curve towards the front of the bike at the top of the screen.  That changes the flow of some of the air and creates some mild turbulence which is easier to take than a  concentrated blast.  SAEng is one company which makes a strip to put around the edge of the screen to induce turbulence.  I never tried it and I don't know anyone that has but it was intriguing to me.  I tried to apply the principle to my aforementioned KLR with a 3/4" strip sticking out from the top of the Spitfire at 90 degrees.  It made a significant difference but once again, it may be offensive to some people's asthetic tastes.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #465 on: December 13, 2015, 03:39:54 AM »
I bought a 3' piece of SAEing edging about 20 years ago to try on a stock BMW windshield and it worked great  they say it's like adding 2" to the shield and it did on that bike  since than I have tried it on a good number of bikes didn't work at all  did try a piece across the top on the stock 500X shield didn't do a thing

It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #466 on: December 13, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »
Not that far off me. The stock screen on high setting is quite low down for me so I get wind blast but clean wind blast.

Have you tried a madstat or similar bracket ? One last throw of the dice. And/or one of the adjustable flip tops.

Not yet.With Xmas coming up,I haven't messed with it.Family obligations and all that stuff.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Wouken

• CB500X Member
  • beginner!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x
  • City / Town: Ghent
« Reply #467 on: December 13, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
First thing first, windscreens are verry personal. Looks and feel.
I had driven a 300km with the small screen(speeds up to 125-130km/h). And was good. Bud when i got my givi big screen (-51%, scratch in screen, not yet found) i installed it.
Effect a little bit mor comfort at high speeds bud some buffeting sounds.
After adding a o-ring (forum sugestion) at the bottom screws the buffeting was reduced big time. Bud for me its more for the comfort and the rain protection at speed faster then 90km. It all depends on what you want i'm happy with the big screen.
My opinion is that you have to look for what you want, no screen, small screen, big screen or a extra deflector. Its up to you.
The forum can only give info and tips
Ride the mountains, ride the waves. Find your source.

Offline thaicbx

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Buriram Thailand
« Reply #468 on: December 14, 2015, 03:53:36 AM »
I guess i got lucky in the "windscreen" stakes.

Original screen set on high was great up to 140 K's visor down.

Had to change the screen after fitting after market generic hand guards.

I got a larger "Givi" screen that had to be set in the lower position.

First ride out was horrendous. Buffeting all over the place.

Spaced out the bottom 2 well nuts by about 20mm and tested that set up.

Chalk and cheese. 140 K's back to no buffeting. Amazing what a small "tweak" can do.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #469 on: December 15, 2015, 02:35:14 AM »
After tryin all kinds of windshields , positions and also no windshield I found that no windshield was the quietest and zero turbulence. But I didn't like the looks much. So I bought a used windshield off the forum and chopped 3" off the top, bent the mounting down a bit to change the angle and mounted it in the lower position. No more noise, no buffeting (have been up to 90-95 mph) and reasonable bug protection.
Check out the pics....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:38:36 AM by CB-500-X »

Recent Topics