Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 286772 times)

Offline wardie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X,
  • City / Town: ohio
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #510 on: February 03, 2016, 11:02:06 PM »
Windhsield height, angle and air gaps can either decrease or increase buffeting in the upper chest and top of helmet area.  True rocket science stuff.
I agree stock OEM CB 500 X shield is going to get you lots of air at speed. Honda in USA makes taller shield but you're looking at $200.

My buddy sent me a link to Honda Taiwan and I purchased their shield which is shaped dramatically different than USA HONDA shield. When I get it I'll do a detailed report on the shield.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #511 on: February 03, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by wardie [+]
Windhsield height, angle and air gaps can either decrease or increase buffeting in the upper chest and top of helmet area.  True rocket science stuff.
I agree stock OEM CB 500 X shield is going to get you lots of air at speed. Honda in USA makes taller shield but you're looking at $200.

My buddy sent me a link to Honda Taiwan and I purchased their shield which is shaped dramatically different than USA HONDA shield. When I get it I'll do a detailed report on the shield.

If you're talking about the 118bikes windshield from Thailand,it's a Givi with a Honda sticker on it.

Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline wardie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X,
  • City / Town: ohio
« Reply #512 on: February 04, 2016, 12:48:22 AM »
Can u share your thoughts on installation and it's effectiveness? Did you play around with it shimming out the bottom?? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #513 on: February 04, 2016, 01:30:24 AM »
Bought one, played with it for a week, got rid of it, worse then stock for me.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 04, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »
Can u share your thoughts on installation and it's effectiveness? Did you play around with it shimming out the bottom?? Inquiring minds want to know :)
The  best way to get a screen to work for you on a CB500X is to read all 74 pages of this post and try and find one that worked for someone your exact height and inseam. Those two measurements are critical. Also almost any screen works fine up to 60 mph , after that it all goes to hell. So what ever you get ride it at least 65-70 plus mph.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #515 on: February 04, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »

I haven't but as CB-500-X says,it worse than the stock small screen.I am planning to give the Bruudt brackets a try and then an screen spoiler a try before I ditch it and go with Madstad.

Bruudt bracket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251425995091?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Spoiler
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231498424962?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Tas

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: White CB500X
  • City / Town: Hobart
« Reply #516 on: February 19, 2016, 05:38:29 AM »
I just installed  the 16 screen to my 14 bike. It installs onto the existing brackets with existing bolts and wellnuts fine. Not a perfect alignment but enough flex in the wellnuts for it to install in < 3 minutes, or same time to install stock screen.

Im 6' 3" and inside leg 32" so tall and solidly built (former 2nd rower in rugby!). My helmet is a Shark Vision -R and with 3 vents its noisy and I would love a new lid sometime. Till today Ive been riding with stock screen on low and angled a bit towards me.

First 2 pics are comparing new to old stock. Its a bit wider and a fair bit taller and has the 2 vent slits down low. Test riding today was in a blustery 25mph wind so not ideal. Test were on my local highway up to 60mph. Didnt have time to go on the faster road.

On the first test I had the screen on high and had some buffeting and helmet noise. Then next test I tried with my cheap eBay $50 spoiler with screen still on high. Still some buffeting and helmet noise and also handling in cross wind wasnt as good. Also it started getting noticeable in my vision. But most the wind not hitting me till top of lid.

Last and best test was screen on low setting and no spoiler. Now helmet noise and buffeting is almost gone so almost as quiet as stock screen. But wind is hitting me higher up so that's a good result.  So will stay on this low setting for a while.  May try spoiler on low setting when it gets colder here.

Clearance on the screen is fine on both high and low setting including when handlebars are at full lock. At least 1.5" clearance. Clearance with headlamp fairing was only 2mm on high and maybe 5mm on low, still OK. Spacers could be added with longer bolts to increase that.

I like the styling of the 16 screen with the vent holes. One other thing I may try is adjusting the rake angle. Its raked back way more than the Africa Twin screen and I think more than a 16 model X. There is also a dedicated thread here on the 16 screen with more pics by others there.

Offline Muttley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X Black
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2016, 02:27:40 PM »
Got the Bruudt bracket a couple of weeks ago and fitted it with my MRA Vario screen. First ride with the combo on the highest setting resulted in some serious buffeting. Lowered the screen to around half way down the bracket which solved the buffeting, but I'm not convinced it's any improvement on the Vario alone. The Bruudt does give a much bigger gap between the screen and the fairing, but there doesn't appear to be much draft coming through that gap which is strange.
the bracket doesn't fit as snugly as I would have liked. I guess I could bend the bike brackets slightly to make the fit smoother, but I don't want to do that until I am satisfied that the Bruudt is an advantage.
I need to do some longer rides in different wind conditions.
M

Offline Papa Weeley

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SoCal
« Reply #518 on: February 24, 2016, 11:57:58 PM »
I, too, just got a 2016 factory screen (for my '15).
I'm 6', with about a 33"-34" inseam, and I usually use a Shoei Qwest helmet.
I installed it at the higher mount, and shimmed the bottom mounts with the same washers I'd used on the stock screen.
I now have a much larger pocket of calm air in the cockpit. At 40-60mph (what I'm usually traveling), the difference is very pronounced. Above that I feel a slight bit of buffeting, which feels like it's around the sides of my helmet, and the wind seems to be hitting me a bit out at each shoulder. I think the two vents they've added about halfway up have really helped the airflow.
I'm going to play around with the height through the mounts, and see what changes that makes, just for info sake.
But for now, that was an amazingly well-spent $46 (HondaPartsHouse).  :152:
"What the Italians call 'character', the Japanese consider 'design flaws', and the Germans deny to their graves..."
2015 CB500x
2013 CB1100
Recent escapees: '12 Triumph Bonneville, '05 Yamaha FZ1, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR, '76 Honda 550-4 cafe racer

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 25, 2016, 02:10:13 AM »
A few night shots on my 2104. Easy install just bend the brackets to fit

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage