Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 286676 times)

Offline Rooneydog

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: West Seattle, WA
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #550 on: March 05, 2016, 02:53:19 AM »
I just purchased my 2015 CB500XA today and had some noticeable wind noise/buffetting(sp?) at anything over 45 mph. I am 6'4" and wear a Shoei Hornet X2 helmet. Does anyone have a windscreen input for a relative newcomer to this forum? Thanks!

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 05, 2016, 04:51:00 AM »
I am 6'2" and couldn't stand the noise in my Bell Mag-9 helmet at anything over city speed. Bought a tall California Scientific wind screen and the wind was moved from my chest to the top of my helmet, and there is no buffeting.

Bought a Shoei RF-1200 and could finally ride at highway speeds, although there was still wind noise. Bought some Surefire Defender ear plugs on Amazon. That made riding much quieter. I can now wear either helmet at highway speeds.

Offline selftaught

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »
I bought a CalSci screen off a cool user from this forum who knocked off a few bucks.

I love the thing but man, if I'd have known the 2016 would be available for $46 I'd have tried that first.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:11:19 PM by selftaught »

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2016, 01:14:23 PM »
The new Honda wind screen might be worth a try. It appears to thicker than the Cal Sci, less expensive, and has the same ports to create a still air zone. If it is not suitable for taller riders, I sure it would be easy to sell.

Offline Island Rick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X / CBR250R
  • City / Town: Peaks Isl.ME USA
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »
My 2016 CB500X windshield came in about a week ($49 + $9 S&H Partzilla.com 1-877-473-4595 Honda 67101-MJW-J80).
It fit perfectly on my 2013, and took only minutes to install. The weather was too cold for any extensive testing, but a short ride around town has me believing that it is way better than the stock. I plan to do some additional tweaking by spacing the top
screws about an inch further out to see if that will help, as there is still some wind noise at the helmet. It seems like the
nasty buffeting has been abated considerably with the new model.
And, it looks sexy!
Motorcycling - One of two ways to experience heaven on earth ...

Offline vamcman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XA
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobG [+]
That's strange...I just placed my order and it was 46.39 plus 11.95 shipping and no sales tax for a total of $58.34 :027:

I must have been at the wrong website; just ordered one at the same price. Thanks!  :046:

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 05, 2016, 06:47:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Island Rick [+]
My 2016 CB500X windshield came in about a week. I plan to do some additional tweaking by spacing the top screws about an inch further out to see if that will help, as there is still some wind noise at the helmet.

You might want to try pushing the top of the screen out in 1/4 inch increments. I think you find the more vertical the screen, the more noise the edges will generate because of wind shear. It may also generate increased buffeting as well. Please keep us informed of your test results.

Honda obviously did some testing with the new screen hence the change in shape and the twin ports in the bottom. If it was advantageous to change the vertical angle of the screen, I sure they would have molded the top screw pockets deeper to push the top of the screen forward.

Offline Island Rick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X / CBR250R
  • City / Town: Peaks Isl.ME USA
« Reply #557 on: March 05, 2016, 08:31:29 PM »
I have to agree with everything you point out. Thank you. I have no wind tunnel experience.
My other consideration is a small add on upper section with adjustable brackets, as sold by aftermarket
suppliers. Any thoughts on this?
Motorcycling - One of two ways to experience heaven on earth ...

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 06, 2016, 02:08:00 AM »
I think when it is warm enough you will be able to get some longer rides in for testing purposes. You may find that the new screen works well as originally mounted, or with slight alterations. If not, then try an add-on.

It also depends on what you are trying to accomplish. My tall Cal-Sci screen moved the wind from my chest to the top of my helmet. That made riding more comfortable and there was no buffeting because of the port in it. But it really did not solve my wind noise problem.

The Shoei helmet was quieter than my open-face Bell helmet, but not as comfortable. It was the Surefire Defender ear plugs that solved the wind noise problem. I can wear either helmet now and not be bothered with wind noise.

Online HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
« Reply #559 on: March 06, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Nortoon [+]
It was the Surefire Defender ear plugs that solved the wind noise problem. I can wear either helmet now and not be bothered with wind noise.

Any trouble putting your helmet on with those in your ears? I saw them before and have been interested but just worried they pop out when sliding the helmet on. You'd recommend these plugs? I use the traditional foam style ones now and they cut the noise down great but are a pain to put in.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage