Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 286790 times)

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 sandy 500X
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent UK
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #660 on: June 07, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »
The other day I did a trip along the coast including across the Romney Marshes where there were plenty of flying bugs. When I returned home my Gvi screen was well bugged but the visor of my Arai Tour-X4 had no bugs at all . I feel that this shows that the screen had done a good job
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense
4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Offline bgagnon

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: GSXS-1000F
  • City / Town: Quebec City
« Reply #661 on: June 12, 2016, 01:20:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by wardie [+]
I tried 2016 Honda windshield on my 14' and didn't like where it placed the air stream. I tried spacing out my stock windshield to no affect. Now I've ordered from Germany a Brundt adjustable bracket that works with stock windshield. We'll see what happens when I install and test. Will report findings.

Wardie,  Great stuff. The Bruudt and the stock screen solved my problem. It's the best kept secret on the forum. I have a CB500X 2016 screen barley used to sell. I will post in the right forum.  :002:

I use the Bruudt + the stock screen on the higher position. I have also fitted 2 plumbing washer 1\8 inch one over the other on each top screw to tilt the screen forward. The longer spacer from Home depot probably do a good job on the stock screen without the bruudt spacers since the bruudt is a spacer + a way to have the screen higher.

../Bruno

F800GT, CB500X sold to my GF (she loves it)

Offline CTBill

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: CT
« Reply #662 on: June 12, 2016, 11:52:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by CTBill [+]
Here is one more cheap option not yet posted!

I cut the "wings" off my '14 shield, because I felt the turbulence and helmet buffeting was being caused by air coming off the area around those wings and the headlight cowl.  I added 1/2 in spacers as others have done, mounted in the high position.  Added benefit - no issues with touching or clearance with my Barkbuster Storms...

Wind hits right above my helmet chinbar at 60-65 mph, and clean air.

(I use the Givi screen in colder months with the same spacers, in the low position for full protection with great success as well)

5'-9" with 30" inseam, average build...as info

UPDATE:  played around again on a recent 400 mile round trip to VT.  I removed the spacers, and used the standard well nuts in the upper position.  I like it even better than with the spacers!  I still think the trimming of the "wings" has improved airflow around the lower sides and bottom of my helmets - Bell Qualifier, and Bell Vortex - which I believe is where the buffetting happens for me .  Free mod, but a one time deal obviously...  Something to try, and certainly if you hate the stock screen anyway!

Still have the Givi for full coverage, and love it in colder months.  I like some air flow over/around my helmet in the warmer months tho...

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2016, 09:31:36 AM »
I fitted the Givi screen last night on the higher setting. 5 minute job.

Report from my 23 mile (mix of lanes and motorway) is that things are much, much quieter now. I'm 5'9"ish and the flow is hitting my helmet just above my visor, so air is getting to the top vent. It will be good to see how it is in the rain.

It's early days, but I think there's a little buffetting which is moving my head slightly from side to side. With the normal screen there was a smooth but strong flow of air. This almost feels rhythmic. It's a shame because if i duck down a couple of inches then there's no wind on my helmet and wind noise almost disappears. Not sure how to get that extra bit of clearance. I might start experimenting with tap washers to move the screen out or adjust the angle.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #664 on: June 16, 2016, 03:29:27 PM »
I have the Honda dark screen, it's a Givi sold by 118bikes in Thailand.I spaced the bottom of my screen 10 mm.I'm hoping it will smooth the air flow.Unfortunately,I can't test it far another few days at least.I have my bike apart for a long list of upgrades and modifications.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 16, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
I fitted the Givi screen last night on the higher setting. I'm 5'9"ish and the flow is hitting my helmet just above my visor, so air is getting to the top vent.

With the normal screen there was a smooth but strong flow of air. This almost feels rhythmic. It's a shame because if I duck down a couple of inches there's no wind on my helmet and wind noise almost disappears.

I am 6'2" tall and have a tall California Scientific windscreen. It has a port in the bottom that creates a quiet zone behind the screen. Unfortunately I am a little too tall, and like you the wind hits the top of my helmets creating noise. If I crouch forward the wind and noise disappear.

I tried using spacers to move the top of the screen forward, but it created a soft drumming noise. The screen and brackets on the bike also seemed to be passing vibration through the bike, although I felt no wind buffeting.

While out riding I placed one arm across the top of the windscreen and the wind noise stopped. When I purchase my next Cal Sci windscreen, I may get them to custom make a taller one for me.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #666 on: June 16, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nortoon [+]
While out riding I placed one arm across the top of the windscreen and the wind noise stopped. When I purchase my next Cal Sci windscreen, I may get them to custom make a taller one for me.

How about one of those adjustable spoilers that screw to the top of the screen, pretty close to what you are describing with your arm.
Brian.

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 16, 2016, 07:55:36 PM »
The Cal Sci windscreen is made of thinner material than the Honda screens. Given it's height, I am a little concerned that adding an adjustable spoiler to the top may create a lot of vibration and/or buffeting. Worse case scenario would be having it crack or snap at speed.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #668 on: June 17, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nortoon [+]
The Cal Sci windscreen is made of thinner material

Oh well, I thought it was a good idea, 'till now.

For 20 years as a born again biker I never considered wind, I just rode them. Then I got the V-Strom learned how fickle it can be. A real black art problem.
Brian.

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #669 on: June 17, 2016, 04:07:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
I fitted the Givi screen last night on the higher setting. 5 minute job.

Report from my 23 mile (mix of lanes and motorway) is that things are much, much quieter now. I'm 5'9"ish and the flow is hitting my helmet just above my visor, so air is getting to the top vent. It will be good to see how it is in the rain.

It's early days, but I think there's a little buffetting which is moving my head slightly from side to side. With the normal screen there was a smooth but strong flow of air. This almost feels rhythmic. It's a shame because if i duck down a couple of inches then there's no wind on my helmet and wind noise almost disappears. Not sure how to get that extra bit of clearance. I might start experimenting with tap washers to move the screen out or adjust the angle.

Fitted a tap washer to the top two mounts last night.

This morning I think it's a bit better. Can ride up to about 40mph with the visor open and only a little wind to the eyes.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage