Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 278174 times)

Offline Michel Savage

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x
  • City / Town: Saraphi
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #680 on: June 27, 2016, 08:33:06 AM »
Tas: yes, I rode without a windshield. Clean flow of air, no turbulence whatsoever. But at speed, it's a lot of clean air...
Get it while you can.Yes Janis, I will.

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 27, 2016, 03:54:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Michel Savage [+]
So it leaves me with two alternatives: the GIVI-copy screen with 1/2 inch spacers at bottom (as per suggestion here), and new full face helmet.

My Shoei RF-1200 full face helmet is much quieter than my Bell MAG-9 open face helmet. The Shoei fits tight against my cheeks so the wind cannot reach my ears except by passing my chin. But it does have a chin curtain which I may try later in the fall. As I am claustrophobic, I find a full face helmet confining.

The Bell helmet is more comfortable, cooler, easier to put on and take off, but it is noisy. The air passes under the visor. There are also slots for a drop down sun visor that allow the air deeper into the helmet. Cavities by the ears for speakers and a intercom system increase the noise level as well.

Had I known all this I would have bought the old style Bell 500. No drop down sun visor or unused intercom cavities, just lots of soft sound deadening padding. With my sunglass and a snap on visor, it probably would be much quieter than the more expensive Mag-9.

Like wind screens, helmet purchases have been a lot of expensive trial and error. Unfortunately it been mostly error so far. :012:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:57:09 PM by Nortoon »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #682 on: June 28, 2016, 12:06:04 AM »
Spaced my 118bikes (dark Givi) 10mm at the bottom,and it got a little better, but still crap above 55mph.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline mad max

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 28, 2016, 08:12:54 PM »
I have a 2016 X and unfortunately I'm not at all satisfied with the (now larger) windshield. I'm a bit over 6 feet, and I get considerable buffeting and turbulence and vibrations and noise and whatnot at almost any speed. My ears still hurt from today's rides.

I have tried the following:
High position: bad
Low position: bad
High with spacers on top/bottom: bad/bad
Low with spacers on top/bottom: bad/bad

No windshield at all: what a relief. "Clean" airflow, cooler. no wind-induced vibrations, by far the most comfortable ride (It was fairly warm today though).

I have also tried ducking behind the windshield, and it gets very quiet the moment the shield reaches the height of my mouth/nose.

So I figured I could get either a really tall windshield or I could just get a really short shield/faceplate instead (or both, one for hot, one for cold season).

Problem is, I really don't like the look of the bike without a windshield!

Does anyone know about a short windscreen/facpeplate with as little aerodynamic effect as possible that could fit the 2016 model?

Do the tall windshield options out there fit the 2016 model?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:14:30 PM by mad max »

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 28, 2016, 10:15:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by mad max [+]
I have a 2016 X and unfortunately I'm not at all satisfied with the (now larger) windshield. I'm a bit over 6 feet, and I get considerable buffeting and turbulence and vibrations and noise and whatnot at almost any speed. My ears still hurt from today's rides.

No windshield at all: what a relief. "Clean" airflow, cooler. no wind-induced vibrations, by far the most comfortable ride (It was fairly warm today though).

So I figured I could get either a really tall windshield or I could just get a really short shield/faceplate instead.

Problem is, I really don't like the look of the bike without a windshield!

Does anyone know about a short windscreen/facpeplate with as little aerodynamic effect as possible that could fit the 2016 model?

Do the tall windshield options out there fit the 2016 model?

I am 6'2" tall. Today my dealer lent me a Yamaha FZ-09 while my X was in the shop. It has no windscreen of any kind. In the city there was very little wind noise at all while wearing my noisy open face helmet. At 95 KPH on the highway I had to stop and install my ear plugs. Nice quiet ride after that with no buffeting. At 4-lane speeds 110 to 120 KPH there was considerable wind blast on my body and the wind was trying to lift my helmet.

So from that little experiment I learned that the shape of the X (the beak and slope back windscreen perhaps) is a good deal of our wind noise problem. But I would not want to ride without a wind screen.

To answer your question about a short screen. The screen that came with the pre-2016 models was terrible, hence this very long and growing longer windscreen thread. The tall 2016 screen was an improvement, but not for taller riders.

My very tall California Scientific windscreen does a good job of deflecting the wind blast and there is no buffeting. The wind and bugs are deflected to the top of my helmets. My open face helmet is too noisy at highways speeds without ear soft plugs. My full face helmet is OK, but much better with soft ear plugs.

People who bought the 2016 screen were able to fit it on the 2013 to 2015 Xs. So any windscreen made for the X should fit the 2016 model.

Offline mad max

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 28, 2016, 10:29:17 PM »
Thank you Nortoon!

So any of the larger alternatives should work.

When I was asking about a short screen, I was really thinking about something that doesn't do much regarding airflow, because I really liked the ride with no windshield at all, but not the look of the bike with no screen attached. Is there a big difference between pre-2016-screen vs none?

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #686 on: June 29, 2016, 01:54:34 AM »
Cut a 2013 windshield 3" , it was great, looked better after I plasticoted it. Best alternative to the stock screen . However the 2016 screen works better for my height at 5'9".
Here's the link:  https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,82.469.html

It's page 68 of this thread.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:03:31 AM by CB-500-X »

Online jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #687 on: June 29, 2016, 02:26:46 AM »
When I was asking about a short screen, I was really thinking about something that doesn't do much regarding airflow, because I really liked the ride with no windshield at all, but not the look of the bike with no screen attached. Is there a big difference between pre-2016-screen vs none?

In my opinion, yes.  I'm short (5' 5.5") and short in-seamed (28").  Removal provided smooth air at the head and shoulders, which is what I wanted.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Michel Savage

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x
  • City / Town: Saraphi
« Reply #688 on: June 29, 2016, 04:11:37 AM »
Mad Max: The 2016 windshield is a little better than the stock 2014-2015 model, with spacers at the bottom. But like you, I've read every post in this thread, and I am about to buy a new full face helmet, as well as a Givi-copy windshield with 1/2 inch spacers at the bottom. So far, like you, I found no windshield to be the best turbulence-free alternative. But bugs, rain, and highway speeds negate this choice.
Get it while you can.Yes Janis, I will.

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 29, 2016, 05:22:50 AM »
Is there a big difference between pre-2016-screen vs none?

None would leave the Honda wind screen brackets sticking up, which would be real ugly. One member cut them off which is a rather drastic measure for a new bike.

There have been several other suggestions for taller riders.
One was an adjustable wind deflector added to the top of the wind screen.
A second was a Givi wind screen mounted with Bruudt adjustable brackets.
My suggestion was the Cal Sci wind screen.
I tried adding the Bruudt brackets, but it made things worse because of the design of the Cal Sci screen.

For taller riders most of these suggestions will move the wind blast to the top of their helmets. A quiet helmet and soft ear plugs really add to the comfort of highway riding by reducing the levels of wind noise around the helmet.

Recent Topics