Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 278187 times)

Offline wardie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X,
  • City / Town: ohio
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #740 on: October 25, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
I tried the 2016 OEM Honda CB 500X screen in the highest position (I'm 5'8") and it didn't help much and the buffeting moved to the forehead area I sold to someone on this forum. I bought a Buundt bracket which allows much more adjustment with stock windshield much better but doing 2,300 miles going to Daytona and back mostly freeway at speeds up to 82 mph I find this set up lacking as well.

I just ordered the Mastad windshield set up. Comes with 60 day buy back (unheard of so they must have confidence in this product). Adjustable up/down and tilts in and out. Within a day of installing I'll know if it works for me and will report to the forum my findings.

I know running for hours and hours on end isn't the forte of this bike but with the changed gearing (15/39), Corbin seat, hand guards etc. it is a decent middleweight for small money.

Let you guys know my thoughts after installation this weekend.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:13:49 PM by wardie »

Offline Mel111

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X 15 ABS RRS1
  • City / Town: Somerset Levels
« Reply #741 on: October 25, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »
Got my CBX May this year, mark 1, on a 16 plate. Got the Madstad before I even got the bike home. Best screen I have ever had on a sit up straight bike, the most recent being a Tiger885i, GS1200adv, Tiger1050, Tiger 800, Tiger 955i .Ride Safe Mel

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
« Reply #742 on: October 25, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
With 75 pages of windshield woes, just wondering if anyone has tried making one for themselves? Even though I don't really mind my stock '14 screen I may give it a try over the winter. I just finished making one for one of my other bikes and its pretty easy. The hard part would be getting a decent design that does what you want it to.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Online VDZ

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500xa
  • City / Town: K-W
« Reply #743 on: October 25, 2016, 05:20:36 PM »
Deacon,
I was considering it, but then I read Cal-Sci's website where they had an in depth paper on the physics they put into their product involving wind tunnel testing that convinced me if I got it right it would probably be luck. Also had some data there on materials I think. I decided I'll maybe take a crack at tailoring a seat to my needs instead. One of the first things I did was stuff the seat with 3" more foam, it was good on my hips and knees, but probably didn't do me any favours elevating my head further above the screen.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #744 on: October 26, 2016, 01:15:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
With 75 pages of windshield woes, just wondering if anyone has tried making one for themselves?

I chopped and plasticoted an original. Works way better than the stock height but too many bugs ! I'm sticking with my bent brackets and 2016 windshield on my 2014!

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #745 on: October 26, 2016, 01:16:53 AM »
 :124:

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
  • Ride safe / Ride forever
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #746 on: October 26, 2016, 08:28:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
With 75 pages of windshield woes, just wondering if anyone has tried making one for themselves? Even though I don't really mind my stock '14 screen I may give it a try over the winter. I just finished making one for one of my other bikes and its pretty easy. The hard part would be getting a decent design that does what you want it to.

I've planned to make one based on a Cal Sci. the planning and templates being key. I'm riding a '14 so the bottom of the screen is modeled on the stock screen, the top section and air vent based on Cal-Sci.
I plan to make a curved template from thin board so I can concentrate when heating and bending 3mm polycarbonate.
all good fun... now it just needs time to do it and with it now being summer it might have to wait.
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 26, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Harry [+]
I've planned to make one based on a Cal Sci. I'm riding a '14 so the bottom of the screen is modeled on the stock screen, the top section and air vent based on Cal-Sci.

I tried the Brundt brackets to raise my CalSci screen up a couple of inches. I am 6'2" and the wind hits the top of my helmet. I thought by raising the windscreen I could take advantage of the quiet zone behind it.

Unfortunately the brackets move the windscreen away from the bike a bit which allowed more airflow under the bottom of the screen. But what was worse they also raised the port on the bottom of the screen up and allowed a direct blast of air into my torso. Although there was slightly less wind blast on the top of my helmet in the raised position, all the other air flow made the ride noisier, colder and more uncomfortable. There was also a soft drumming noise that was not there without the brackets.

I believe because we sit upright and a distance from any windscreen, we are too far away to enjoy the quiet zone that most produce. I know if I lean forward, I can eliminate the wind blast entirely. But that is awkward and hard on the back.

I tried rubber washers over the top mounting screws hoping to push the top of the screen forward and direct the air over my head. But that created a drumming turbulence. I assume that is the reason most windscreens are slanted back.

Of the things I have tried, I found my CalSci and 3M Yellow Neon ear plugs are the best solution so far. I can ride with either my open face or full face helmet with out being bothered by the wind noise. The windscreen cuts the wind and does not create any turbulence.

Offline wardie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X,
  • City / Town: ohio
« Reply #748 on: November 09, 2016, 02:44:38 AM »
 I've tried the stock windshield canted out with spacers that proved no good. Then I went with the Bruundt brackets and it was much better but still lacked the ability to push the air turbulence above my helmet at higher speeds above 70 mph. Finally took the plunge and bought the Madstad windshield for my bike.My Madstad windshield came within 5 days of ordering it. The packaging was awesome nothing except a truck running over the box could hurt the windshield it was that well packed. Easy installation and loads of adjustability. Instructions said to set the top of the windshield to your chin area and cant it at a 60 degree angle. They provide an angle gauge to help with tipping/canting the windshield.

I did the initial testing and adjusting on a long country road little or no traffic so I could adjust while riding. The instructions specifically state do not do this and I'll give the same warning.

The windshield has an adjustment knob on the inside portion of each bracket. While riding I loosened the knobs and lightly pushed the windshield out until I could hear and feel the air turbulence decrease. Once I reached that point I tightened down the knobs.

Once you find the sweet spot you're set. Out of curiosity I tried moving the shield up and tipping both forward and backward. All this movement yielded negative results on air flow when compared the  settings that I initially determined were optimal.

The Madstad wasn't the least expensive set up but it was the one that clearly worked the best.

If you're tired of buying shields that you can't send back only to find there's a problem then order the Madstad. It has a 60 day money back guarantee so if it doesn't work for you send it back...but I'm betting you'll keep it.

Wardie

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
  • Ride safe / Ride forever
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #749 on: November 20, 2016, 03:33:20 AM »
I've been reading this thread for a long time looking specifically at how a 2016 screen is fitted to a 2014 bike and the settings used.
Thank you to everyone commenting.
So I've built my own mounting brackets. Making them adjustable for height, tilt and offset.

I'm 5'10" and riding yesterday @ 120km/hr was a real pleasure, zero buffeting on the helmet.
 :305:
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Recent Topics