Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 286789 times)

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #760 on: March 03, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
Sorry to keep making this point, but, one option is to remove the windscreen and support brackets.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Dave1899

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X Black
  • City / Town: Gainesville, FL
« Reply #761 on: March 03, 2017, 11:14:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
Sorry to keep making this point, but, one option is to remove the windscreen and support brackets.
You know how to tell a happy Motorcyclist? By the bugs in his teeth...LOL  :156:

Offline Erik

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013-CB500XA
  • City / Town: Slovenia
« Reply #762 on: April 02, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
What a disappointment about the 2016 Windshield! I have a model 2013 and the buffering above 95 km/h started to be annoying. Reading all responses I saw, that there is no universal solution with the windshield, but I still believe, that at least some improvement it would be.

First, I installed it at the upper position and it was really some less turbulence, but the SOUND of wind already at 55 km/h is louder than before at speeds 120 km/h. At 90 km/h was almost unbearable and instead enjoying the ride I just waited, when the drive will end. Due to half an hour ride, I had for the next 2-3 days pain in my ears  :087: :087: :087:!

At the lower position of the windscreen it was a bit better about the sound of wind, but there was buffering at the top of the helmet (I am 180 cm and have Shoei GT Air helmet), which previously did not exist (at 2013 windscreen I got blast into my chest). I do not know, if I am going to play with washers, and other advices, I read here

My experience - if you want  to change your ride into hell, just put the 2016 windshield on your bike

Erik

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Bryceville
« Reply #763 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
I have the 2016 screen on my 2013.
I added the RR "standoff"spacers and bolts.
I still got buffeting at the top of my helmet.
I took the OEM mirrors off and replaced them with bar ends.
(I also have Givi hand guards fitted)
The buffeting is still there but the overall wind blast seems much reduced without the OEM mirrors.
(Also, I can see directly behind me more easily as the mirrors are further out)
A bit "left field" but it works for me.
YMMV
Chris C
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline michvin

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Jersey, USA
« Reply #764 on: April 03, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »
After spending significant money (two windshields, one deflector) I think I am ready to give up on the CB. Tried everything suggested here at no avail. I never experienced anything like that on the Ninja I had before and seriously considering selling the bike. Very sad, that such a wonderful bike has to go, but I'm getting headaches after half an hour on it :(

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #765 on: April 03, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by michvin [+]
After spending significant money (two windshields, one deflector) I think I am ready to give up on the CB. Tried everything suggested here at no avail. I never experienced anything like that on the Ninja I had before and seriously considering selling the bike. Very sad, that such a wonderful bike has to go, but I'm getting headaches after half an hour on it :(

Try removing the windscreen and riding with just the braces for a bit.  If you are like me, that was the fix that I needed.  Removal of the braces is discussed earlier in this thread (reply 55).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:32:28 PM by jsonder »
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline michvin

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Jersey, USA
« Reply #766 on: April 03, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
Try removing the windscreen and riding with just the braces for a bit.  If you are like me, that was the fix that I needed.  Removal of the braces is discussed earlier in this thread (reply 55).
I tried that. :(
I now suspect that the airflow that comes from the front fork opening upwards is to blame for the turbulence and buffeting. ADV style bikes have large opening in the front between the wheel and the fairing and many of these bikes suffer from buffeting issues. Interesting enough, I haven't read about any buffeting issues with cb500f.

Offline ColoRider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA (GBNF)
  • City / Town: Sidney, NE
« Reply #767 on: April 03, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »

After reading your comments on the previous page about the Givi screen and deflector, you had it pretty well sorted out - except for the bracket being partly in your line of view.  What changed? 

Personally, I've owned many other comparable bikes and don't find the noise or buffeting any more a problem on the CB-X.  The stock screen seems to work quite well ('16 model) in the upper position. 

I use a Shoei Neotec helmet and ALWAYS ride with earplugs. 

Good luck!!!
Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

Offline ColoRider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA (GBNF)
  • City / Town: Sidney, NE
« Reply #768 on: April 03, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Erik [+]

First, I installed it at the upper position and it was really some less turbulence, but the SOUND of wind already at 55 km/h is louder than before at speeds 120 km/h. At 90 km/h was almost unbearable and instead enjoying the ride I just waited, when the drive will end. Due to half an hour ride, I had for the next 2-3 days pain in my ears  :087: :087: :087:!

Erik

Erik,
What type of earplugs are you using? 
Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #769 on: April 04, 2017, 02:41:39 AM »

I changed helmets and that helped a lot. The Madstad set up with the side deflectors seems to stop a lot of the buffeting.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics