Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 283190 times)

JoeD and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #800 on: April 23, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
Next I will make some brackets to allow me to adjust the height and angle more.  I'm thinking about 2" higher will likely fix the buffeting and maybe a little more angle.

Bruudt brackets will raise the screen about 2 inches. If the new screen has ports like the Honda screen, in the raised position the wind will clear the dash and hit you in the chest. That's what happened with my California Scientific wind screen.

Palmer brackets allow the screen to be raised and angled. Not the prettiest accessory, but functional.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #801 on: April 23, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have looked at both of those.  I think I can make my own for next to no $$$.  If my idea doesn't work out I can always buy some.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 23, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »
Oldmopars made his own brackets.

Have a look at his thread on how they were done.
https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,4190.0.html

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #803 on: April 29, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
Ok, here is my go at raising the windscreen.  I like to design very simple and inexpensive solutions.  My primary need is to raise the windscreen.  Angling it can be done easily at a later time if needed.  All the brackets I have seen from manufacturers and home made are placed between the OEM brackets and the windscreen.  I opted to put brackets between the two parts of the OEM brackets.

After looking over the metal stock at the local big box hardware store I decided on aluminum angle 1/16" x 1/2" x 3/4".  A 4 foot length cost about $6.  From this I cut 2 lengths 8" long and drilled 1/4" holes every 2cm along the wider side.  There are 10 holes in all.  To attach them I used 4 sets of stainless 6mm bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts.  Those were about $8.  So my total expense was $14.

In the pictures below, the aftermarket touring windscreen is mounted 8cm above the high position of the OEM brackets.  I can go up as much as another 8cm.  In this position I get a fairly quiet air pocket from just below my chin to about the top of the helmet.  It works very well for me.  In the near future I will put the stock windscreen on it and play with height settings to see what it will do.  What little turbulence I get is coming from the air flow up around the headstock.

Once I'm done experimenting I will cut the brackets to length, round the corners and paint them black.

1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline mad max

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 04, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »
I've posted before about how unhappy I was with the 2016 stock screen.. I have tried riding without and with a much shorter mockup made of sheet metal and it was great. after some deliberation I just cut the original down as much as I dared without completely ruining the looks. As the 2016 seems to be useless for many, I can only recommend it :)

Airflow around the head is now almost completely unaffected and feels pretty much like a naked bike. Can post a picture if anyone's interested in how it looks.

Now I just need a very tall solution for long tours and cold days.

Offline IoanaIsOut

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Stuttgart
« Reply #805 on: May 10, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
Hello,

I'm 165cm (5'4") tall and I had pretty much the same problems as you.
Initially I went for a Puig windshield, but the buffeting was quite bad on higher speeds, plus I couldn't really ride with my visor open.  After reading some stuff here, I bought some spacers - didn't really work for me. From pictures, Givi didn't seem so much bigger or too different shaped than Puig, so I decided to try the Bruudt brackets. Yesterday I mounted them, initially I put the windshield on high position and rode around. A little bit drafty, but no buffeting for this girl anymore. On medium high position, it's actually pretty good, I can ride with my visor open without any problems. I'm pretty much relieved that this helped me, because that wasn't really enjoyable.
I attached one picture with the brackets mounted and another one with the bike next to my partner's Vstrom. And, yeah, my windshield it's massive now.  :001:

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #806 on: May 10, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
I'm a bit surprised reading some of this subject - Admittedly I'm coming from a naked bike, but the standard screen (2017) seems great to me!!
The Story So Far.........

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 10, 2017, 08:40:59 PM »
How comfortable you are with wind blast and noise depends on many factors: what you are use to, how short you are, where you ride, how you ride, what windscreen you are using, what helmet you wear, whether or not you use ear plugs, etc.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution. That is why this thread is 81 pages long. However there has been a lot of good information shared to help a person decide what might work for them.

It took me a year to sort out which windscreen was most suitable for me because I am 6'2' tall. During that year I also searched until I found comfortable and quiet ear plugs. It's not a perfect solution. But I can now ride comfortably with either my open face or full face helmet.

Offline Ponzan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
« Reply #808 on: July 05, 2017, 02:10:16 AM »
I'm 1.80 mts or 5'9'' and was experiencing very annoying turbulence/buffeting noises with the factory windshield. That mostly disappeared or went almost to none with the Puig touring windshield at the high position.  Just a regular, unavoidable and acceptable wind noise. Also now I can ride in the city with the visor open. Very pleased here.
Previous: NXR150, XRE300, DR400, XL500, scooters

Offline Ponzan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
« Reply #809 on: July 05, 2017, 05:05:20 AM »
forgot to add; got no conflicts between BarkBuster handlebars  and the Puig touring
Previous: NXR150, XRE300, DR400, XL500, scooters

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage