Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 268248 times)

Offline kurth83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 cb500x
  • City / Town: San Jose
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #840 on: October 16, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »
FYI, my long wind-noise saga finally came to a close, after trying all different wind screen heights, I am back to the Honda 'tall' screen.

Turned out I didn't know how to insert the foam earplugs properly.
After much practice I can get them deeply inserted into the ear canal now.
My right ear is much harder, have learned where to tug to straighten things out.

I also switched to a Shoie GT-Air (quieter than the already quiet NeoTec).

The 33db claimed reduction for those Howard Leights is now finally a reality, I barely hear a thing now.  Huge wind noise is now a minor issue, I miss hearing the sound of the engine though, it is all but gone.

Can't believe I rode for all those years without knowing how to use earplugs properly.

Online Faddy Daddy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Pacific NW
« Reply #841 on: October 16, 2017, 10:11:30 PM »
Sorry to hear that Kurth83, I mean that for all those years you didn't have them in properly. Glad though that you did eventually get it figured out. I guess I had a head start in that we had them all over the place at work, large boxes of them hanging from the walls here and there so I was practiced with rolling them between my fingers and inserting them. Then I always hold a finger pushing inward as they expand.
Still though, on occasion, on my commute home one side or the other would pop out, that was really annoying and definitely let you know how good of a job they do.
I will have to get some of the yellow ones though. Someone wrote earlier in this thread that they stay in better, nice.

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 17, 2017, 02:08:42 AM »
A friend taught me to moisten my 3M Yellow Neon ear plugs after rolling them down. Apparently that is what car racers do. It makes it much easier to slip them in.

They stay in and are very comfortable. They are only good for two insertions if you moisten them. But I bought a box of 200 pair on Amazon.ca for $40 postage included, that's only 20 cents a set. I usually carry 3 or 4 pair in my tank bag, and hand a pair to any biker that asks me about them. Saves them the trouble I went through spending a year looking for the right hearing protection.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by kurth83 [+]
FYI, my long wind-noise saga finally came to a close, after trying all different wind screen heights, I am back to the Honda 'tall' screen.

Turned out I didn't know how to insert the foam earplugs properly.
After much practice I can get them deeply inserted into the ear canal now.
My right ear is much harder, have learned where to tug to straighten things out.

I also switched to a Shoie GT-Air (quieter than the already quiet NeoTec).

The 33db claimed reduction for those Howard Leights is now finally a reality, I barely hear a thing now.  Huge wind noise is now a minor issue, I miss hearing the sound of the engine though, it is all but gone.

Can't believe I rode for all those years without knowing how to use earplugs properly.

I have found larger diameter foam earplugs that fit my ears. The standard ones don't block any sound and just fall out. I never knew that they made different sizes. Perhaps you are using the wrong size.

Offline NEDan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: south of Boston
« Reply #844 on: October 27, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »
After many years trying almost every earplug out there I've found these "Mighty Plugs" the best for me.
https://www.earplugsonline.com/motorcycle-ear-plugs/
Pricey yes but.. They last forever if you don't loose them.
2017; 1+1/4" risers, grip puppies, center stand, Kickstand foot, Givi shield with Wunderlich wind deflector (copy),  mirror wideners, fender extenda, .....

Offline abys

• CB500X Member
  • Bike born 09 Dec 2017
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #845 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »
Hi all, I am just 5'6 and the wind noise is terrible on speeds from about 55-60mph+

I have a 2017 bike with the Honda tinted screen. I notice that I sit bolt upright almost putting weight onto the pegs, the noise gets better. I guess I am just a bit too short.

It looks like the screen is in its lowest position. If I was to put spacers in the bottom two bolts to lower the height of the screen further and tilt it, would it make the wind more bearable?
Thanks, Andy
Andy
2017 Sword Silver CB500XAH
Tinted screen, Centre stand, Rear hugger/chain guard, Knuckle guards, Oxford heated grips, 12v Socket, Gear Indicator, Front fender extender. ACF50

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #846 on: December 14, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
Each situation is unique.  All I can say is to try it and see for yourself.  :027:
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline abys

• CB500X Member
  • Bike born 09 Dec 2017
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #847 on: December 14, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I guess i was kinda hoping for someone of my size to give pointers into what they did to overcome the issue. I have just been out and put some washers behind the bottom screws to see if that makes a difference at all. Looks like i may need to gwt bigger bolts though for bigger spacers if needed.
Andy
2017 Sword Silver CB500XAH
Tinted screen, Centre stand, Rear hugger/chain guard, Knuckle guards, Oxford heated grips, 12v Socket, Gear Indicator, Front fender extender. ACF50

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #848 on: December 14, 2017, 08:29:21 PM »
I put 1/2" nylon spacers and longer bolts on the bottom of mine, that helped reduce turbulence and buffeting.  I also raised the screen about 8" above the stock high position with simple homemade brackets.  That puts the relatively calm pocket right on my head with the very top of my head in the slipstream to maintain adequate ventilation.  BTW, I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #849 on: December 16, 2017, 06:55:48 PM »
I bought one of these cheapo spoilers for my previous bike (Bandit 650) but put it on my 2017 CB500X and it works even better with the stock screen. Not the prettiest thing but it completely eliminates any buffeting on my head and is as quiet as you can expect, obviously there will always be wind noise.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Windscreen-Windshield-Deflector-Extension-Variable-Spoiler-Blade/272949232161?hash=item3f8d0ac221:g:mpwAAOSwI8laF5kR

Recent Topics