Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield Options  (Read 278159 times)

Offline scbrooks87

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: San Diego
Re: Windshield Options
« Reply #870 on: May 16, 2018, 07:39:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
I give another big thumbs up  :152: for the MadStad system.  My commute is about 20 miles one way and includes twisty back roads, city roads and interstate highway.  I messed around with the stock screen, tilting it with spacers and moving it up and down.  At one point I had made brackets to raise it up in 1 increments to as high as 8 above the stock high position.  I also tried a Givi touring screen knock off.  Also tried tilting and raising that one.  Some configurations gave good results but never entirely what I was looking for to make my daily commutes is all weather as comfortable as I would like.

Then I ponied up for an MadStad system with the 22 screen.  What a difference!  On a couple occasions I have even forgotten to close my face sheild when leaving work until I got on the highway and noticed the wind.  I hear the bike much more now and tend to ride faster because it is so much more comfortable.

Like Winchester, I have no affiliation with MadStad, just a satisfied customer.

I'm looking at getting a Madstad system myself.  I think I'll go with the 22" as well. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam, so fairly long in the torso. Based on height alone their website recommends the 20" but I would rather have too much windshield than not enough.  Do you happen to have any other photos of your bike with the screen and winglets? Maybe a head-on type photo? Just curious about the aesthetic, even though I tend to be a function over form type of guy.

Thanks!

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #871 on: May 16, 2018, 08:44:11 PM »
My brother likes a screen on the large side - look at this one on his Valkyrie!!

More of a cruiser design though.
The Story So Far.........

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #872 on: May 16, 2018, 08:48:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
My brother likes a screen on the large side - look at this one on his Valkyrie!!

More of a cruiser design though.

That is similar to the National Cycle screen on my V Star Classic cruiser. I get no wind on me when riding behind it.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline MeavyHetal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 29, 2018, 09:16:52 PM »
Hi all,

I've been using a puig tall screen with spacers on my 2015 bike. Decided to get the bruudt adapter to try and get airflow over my lid but it seems to have increased the buffeting instead. I've tried at different positions and none seem as calm or quiet as the spacers alone.

Has anyone else found that? I may have some brackets for sale too!

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #874 on: June 30, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
With 88 pages of windshield posts are we any nearer in solving this dilemma. Not to mention the seat!
It seems Honda may have devoted time to aesthetics opposed to practicality .
  But then the overall look of the bike is a you know you want me look.
On my FJR, the screen is motorised. At full retract plenty of wind is thrown into ones face, at this stage the screen is at around 45 degrees, then press the button and the screen goes all the way up to a virtual vertical position, the wind and any noise vanishes....it is absolutely brilliant, together with that the screen is rounded and quite wide.

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Member
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
« Reply #875 on: June 30, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
I have an FJR and I think the fairing and motorized screen work great too.  On the other hand, grafting that fairing and screen onto this bike would look silly.  Additionally, the FJR boards have just as lengthy threads about how bad the stock screen is and trying all sorts of alternatives from cut down screens to plastic barn doors.  No matter what a manufacturer hangs on the front of the bike, some people will be unhappy.   Most adventure style bikes have less wind protection than full touring bikes.  I think the stock screen and fairing work pretty well.  Other people do too.  Surprisingly effective considering how small they are.  The stock setup is always going to be a compromise of looks and effectiveness for different size people.     I changed mine for looks more than anything else and a minor adjustment to the air flow hitting my helmet.    With all due respect to those who like to tweak their bikes to suit them (I do some too), sometimes you have to accept a bike for what it is.  A small bike with a giant fairing isn't going to work very well.  If you want touring bike wind protection, then get a bike that has it.  On the FJR boards there are a lot of people coming off of cruisers that spend large amounts of money trying to fix the "sportbike" riding position.  First these guys obviously never rode a sportbike.  Second if you wanted a bike that sat like a cruiser, why did you buy this one?   I don't see the smallish fairing and the somewhat noisy air coming off of it as a problem that needs fixed.  I see it as a characteristic of the design choices Honda made, and I don't believe they made them without thought.  Yes, you can change it some to fit size and taste but if drastic changes are needed, you bought the wrong bike.  P.S. seats are the same way.  I think the FJR seat is fine.  Other's can't wait to change it. Everybody's butt is different. My CB500X seat is OK for at least an hour and a half in the saddle.  That's good enough for my old bones because I need to get off and stretch once in a while anyway.
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #876 on: July 01, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »
Yep, I agree.
Without giving the wrong impression, the x is a great looker, and am overall pleased with its quality of build.
  And yes all riders are different. I find though most motorbikes are made for people from 56 to 6. Luckily Im in that category.
  As for the screen, I fitted this , and seems to have made a difference. Having got some acrylic I have increased the height of the original ( being the one on the trestle), and just been out for a ride and what a success!
  So Im 58; and the wind noise has gone, the force of the wind goes above my helmet, if I stand on the foot pegs raising myself 4 itches the noise and wind re appears.
   The design is very simple, as it came off another bike I once had, two brackets and 3m adhesive, and acrylic sheet A4 in size.
   I shall now it works, get a smoked acrylic sheet to match the Puig screen its on.
     Now the wind noise has gone the tyre is not very quiet....time for a new one.

Offline 303

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 CB500XA
« Reply #877 on: July 02, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
Calmrider compares the stock screen, a small screen, the Puig and Puig + ebay deflector

Offline Jukka

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Salo
« Reply #878 on: July 03, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »
Has anyone found smaller windscreen than OEM screen?

Offline NiFalco

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brussels
« Reply #879 on: July 04, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
Hello there!
Very nice post you made there friend!

As an answer, I can tell, I changed de stock windshield of my 2017 cbx for a Puig one, the 2017 model has the same stock windshield as the 2016 which is a bit better, I think, then the under 2016 model. They have made two holes in the front of the stock windshield and it is a bit taller.
Still, I was experiencing turbulences in the upper part of my helmet while riding up to 100 km/h and that's the reason why I changed.

The Puig one is taller than the stock for about 10 to 15cm which makes a good difference. But they haven't made the holes that are on the stock and I think (not sure) that's why I can hear kind of a whistling when I am over 100 km/h.
Still it works really well, and it is a gain of protection without any doubt. I have ordered a wind deflector on aliexpress to if I can complete this protection because I still have a little bit of turbulences on highway over 130 km/h.

I'll keep updated when receiving and testing the deflector ;)

Ride safe!

Recent Topics