Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has Anyone Tried The Cobrra Nemo Oiler?  (Read 3884 times)

Offline PIGLET

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: DURHAM UK
Re: Has Anyone Tried The Cobrra Nemo Oiler?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
I'm going to get one because of all the good reviews on here ( a great forum thanks folks) :152: :152: :152: :152: :152: :062:

Offline Brainflex

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Whakatane
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 07:48:46 AM »
I've just taken delivery of a copy from Ali Express. Looks good quality. Not so sure about the fittings but I have plenty of my own.

Online manray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Puerto Escondido
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2019, 05:08:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aikenrunner [+]
I am thinking of using an oiling device on my 2014 X that I am outfitting with a RR lvl 2 kit to ride the TAT either this year or the next. Has anyone tried the Nemo oiler? I have looked at the Scotoiler but not convinced which way to go or not at all. Those who have gone for an extended trip away from home please comment on how you kept your chain lubed.

5 months on the road with RR lvl 2 kit (OEM rims) and NO chain oiler.  I used an Enduro Star stand to jack up the back wheel and manually oil my chain.  It was a pain in the butt because I had to remove my panniers/luggage before I could easily prop up the rear wheel.  Hence wasn't religious with oiling the chain (probably every 300 to 600 miles) so developed stiff links and a stretched to limit chain.  When I installed a new chain, I bought a Nemo 2.  Installation was very straight forward.  I mounted the reservoir on the left perch and ran the tubing along the bikes left side behind the fairings.  I drilled a small hole in the plastic chain guard so I could attach a zip tie to secure the tubing in place.  Since this bit of tubing is exposed, I used some "wiring harness sleeve" to protect it...bit of insurance from flying debris.  Also replaced the double sided tape that comes with the Nemo kit with heavy duty 3M double sided tape.  Only a few hundred miles with the Nemo 2 but it seems to be working as intended.  Chain is well lubed with just a twist of the reservoir.  If you don't have a center stand I would highly recommend installing one.  I purchased my Nemo direct from:

https://bestdamnchainoiler.com

It's on sale for $79.99 USD

Online manray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »
6000 kms update with a Nemo 2.....simply amazing.  Chain has zero stiff links and has stretched a millimter or two.  As a bonus, the 80w/90 gear oil hasn't created much of a mess.  Some splash marks on the rim, chain guard and kick stand but easily wipped off.

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by manray [+]
6000 kms update with a Nemo 2.....simply amazing.  Chain has zero stiff links and has stretched a millimter or two.  As a bonus, the 80w/90 gear oil hasn't created much of a mess.  Some splash marks on the rim, chain guard and kick stand but easily wipped off.

I'm equally impressed. I cleaned the bike on Saturday and only had to give the chain a quick brush and it's as good as new. 5000 miles.

Online manray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »
Just back from 9000 kms road trip.  I've now got 15000 kms on my OEM chain since June and it looks very good all considered.  I didn't adjust it at all during my trip and on inspection today doesn't need any.  Links feel a bit stiffer than before but no need to replace chain yet.  This Cobra 2 chain oiler is probably the best $80 I've spent on motorcycling.

Before the trip, I had to replace the metal clips used to secure the oil tubing to the chainstay.  I just purchased some nylon cable guides off Ebay for a couple bucks and not a problem since. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:11:21 PM by manray »

Offline vije

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 20013
  • City / Town: Bucharest
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
Hi all,
As I can see, the tip of the hose will drip oil only on one side of the chain - left side O-ring in our case.
Maybe a silly question, but how is the oil going to the O-rings on the opposite side?
Is all the chain lubed evenly/enough?
Thanks!

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2019, 03:08:42 PM »

As best as I can tell with my setup, the oil spreads naturally, like a capillary action.

*Originally Posted by vije [+]
Hi all,
As I can see, the tip of the hose will drip oil only on one side of the chain - left side O-ring in our case.
Maybe a silly question, but how is the oil going to the O-rings on the opposite side?
Thanks!

Online manray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by vije [+]
Hi all,
Thanks!

I was skeptical thinking the same as you but in my setup, the tube feeds oil to the chain ring and then to the chain with centrifugal and capillary action.  I think the oil's importance is not necessarily to lubricate the o-rings only but rather the oil keeps the entire drive train temperature lower...less friction between chain rollers and chain ring equals less heat.  If the chain is cooler (due to the oil), the original grease inside the chain rollers protected by the o-rings does not degrade as fast which results in a longer lasting chain.

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2019, 05:37:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
I've had mine for a few months now. It's much simpler and more reliable than the Tutoro, and the chain is far cleaner and better maintained.

I agree.  Fitted one for my London-Beijing trip and it worked faultlessly all the way.  great bit of kit...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage