Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lifting Fuel Tank - Breather hose disconnection site  (Read 429 times)

Offline tasulife

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Pittsburgh
Lifting Fuel Tank - Breather hose disconnection site
« on: March 23, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
Hello guys!
I'm removing a total commander V from my bike.  This device connects to the coils and spark-plugs whose connections are under the fuel tank. I was able to remove the side panels and side fairings (ugh).  I removed the gas tank bolts and lift it up a touch and see the fuel tank's breather tube is binding against the frame.

On this webpage, Ren tells us to simply disconnect this tube, and that the tube is connected behind the frame.
http://bikesandtravels.com/biker.aspx?ride=983

After disconnection you get these two ends:
http://bikesandtravels.com/img9/left-side-breather-connections.jpg

I'm finding this step to be extremely difficult, and I wonder if I've disconnected something else by mistake, because Ren's connections don't match what I've disconnected.  Fortunately no fluid has poured everywhere, so I think I've got the right one.

My issue is that in ren's picture it appears that his connections are (if you're looking at the left of the bike):
1. A hose comes from the right and has a white male plastic connector (ren's pinky)
2. This fits directly into the breather hose attached to the tank (ren's index finger).
3. Note too that ren's breather hose seems to have 3 segments, or it has a sleeve or something. 

But in my case it's like this:
1. A hose comes from the right side and has a white male plastic connector (so far so good)
2. this plugs into a 4" section of hose
3. this 4" section of hose plugs into a blue plastic male connector box that is literally attached to the frame.
4. I am 75% sure that the breather tube is connected to the other end of the blue box.

The blue connector box, despite having the fairing off, is just deeeeep deeeep in the chassis where I literally can't see it and feel it at the same time.  I feel like the only way to really see what the hell is going on is to remove the whole engine or something.  if I had super fingernails, I could maybe push the breather tube off the blue connector, but there's no way in hell I could ever get it back on.

Sooooo I wanted to chat with you guys and ask:
1. Do I have the wrong hoses
2. How do I do this part.
3. (I hate this idea) can I just cut the breather tube and reassemble it later with another male-to-male plastic push connector

Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Lifting Fuel Tank - Breather hose disconnection site
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 11:17:38 PM »
just a guess: the blue box may be a non-return valve or passive filter if it's attached to the tank breather hose

no sense in cutting it if you can get at the connector....but if it's an arse....it's just a breather hose
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:20:34 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
Re: Lifting Fuel Tank - Breather hose disconnection site
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 11:38:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by tasulife [+]
Hello guys!
I'm removing a total commander V from my bike.  This device connects to the coils and spark-plugs whose connections are under the fuel tank. I was able to remove the side panels and side fairings (ugh).  I removed the gas tank bolts and lift it up a touch and see the fuel tank's breather tube is binding against the frame.

On this webpage, Ren tells us to simply disconnect this tube, and that the tube is connected behind the frame.
http://bikesandtravels.com/biker.aspx?ride=983

After disconnection you get these two ends:
http://bikesandtravels.com/img9/left-side-breather-connections.jpg

I'm finding this step to be extremely difficult, and I wonder if I've disconnected something else by mistake, because Ren's connections don't match what I've disconnected.  Fortunately no fluid has poured everywhere, so I think I've got the right one.

My issue is that in ren's picture it appears that his connections are (if you're looking at the left of the bike):
1. A hose comes from the right and has a white male plastic connector (ren's pinky)
2. This fits directly into the breather hose attached to the tank (ren's index finger).
3. Note too that ren's breather hose seems to have 3 segments, or it has a sleeve or something. 

But in my case it's like this:
1. A hose comes from the right side and has a white male plastic connector (so far so good)
2. this plugs into a 4" section of hose
3. this 4" section of hose plugs into a blue plastic male connector box that is literally attached to the frame.
4. I am 75% sure that the breather tube is connected to the other end of the blue box.

The blue connector box, despite having the fairing off, is just deeeeep deeeep in the chassis where I literally can't see it and feel it at the same time.  I feel like the only way to really see what the hell is going on is to remove the whole engine or something.  if I had super fingernails, I could maybe push the breather tube off the blue connector, but there's no way in hell I could ever get it back on.

Sooooo I wanted to chat with you guys and ask:
1. Do I have the wrong hoses
2. How do I do this part.
3. (I hate this idea) can I just cut the breather tube and reassemble it later with another male-to-male plastic push connector

Thanks for the help everyone.

When I took my tank off to fix my fuel pump sender gauge wire I also had a look at his blog and mine was the exact same as his. The other end of the tubing with the white connector exits down at the side stand alongside 2 other breather hoses.
Wonder if Honda have changed the breather hose routing?

Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

https://www.youtube.com/user/irishrover63

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage