Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X OEM power outlet?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: 2019 CB500X OEM power outlet?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 12:12:47 AM »
The lead acid battery on the bike is NOT a deep cycle battery and is not designed for extended low current power draw.  Using it like this will shorten the battery life.  Starting batteries like this are physically designed for very short duration high current delivery and high current quick recharge.  Deep cycle batteries are designed for long term low current draw and starting batteries are not deep cycle compatible.

Just charge the phone or whatever items with the bikes charging system while you ride and leave the battery for starting the bike as it is designed for.

Just the advice of a EE here.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline skidooboy

• CB500X Member
  • Where does that trail go?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: L4 Kordylewski
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 01:00:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
Your negative reply makes zero sense to me Skidooboy!

A chap has come up with a nice solution to a problem. You cant leave the ignition on for anything more than a minute or two without draining the battery (and possibly harming coils etc) due to the lack of a light switch. Adding a switched socket seems a sensible solution. And whos to say that someones DIY solution isnt as good as one fitted by some youth at the dealers?!

But as always, each to his own!

hence the "worst case scenario part?

Some youth at the dealer? Who's your dealer? mine has listened mechanics and techs..... and the factory unit is literally plug and play. it plugs right in to the accessory wiring socket in the fairing.  I've seen a few videos showing exactly how easy it is to do. it'd be really hard for even a youth to mess up. and again wouldn't void your factory waranty
Go Jets Go!!!

Offline Lattugo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA Y2015
  • City / Town: Valsamoggia
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 07:23:59 AM »
Hi guys,

I get everyone's points, especially SnowOwl's, but I have to say that I have never experienced any problems so far with the battery.

I really think that in case you are recharging your phone and you need to stop for, say, half an hour, it is better for your phone's battery if you don't interrupt the charge, so you have to choose what best suits you. In my case power draining from battery with the engine off does not happen often, and at least, I have the choice if I need to.   

I remember months ago, we had an electrical failure in my area and I had an important webmeeting. Laptop was fully charged, telephone was not.

So I went down to the garage, I plugged the phone to the socket and could do my job connecting my laptop to the internet via the phone. This was some sort of emergency, but for me it worked. Doing that with the engine running would have been a real pain or impossible.

One more point: the Honda plug, if I remember well, costs a bit less than 100 EUR, my solution less than 10.

I don't think a simple 12V socket breaks the warranty, since it is like any other electrical gadgets one can install, really.

Peace, love & cash.

Lat.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 07:27:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
The lead acid battery on the bike is NOT a deep cycle battery and is not designed for extended low current power draw.  Using it like this will shorten the battery life.  Starting batteries like this are physically designed for very short duration high current delivery and high current quick recharge.  Deep cycle batteries are designed for long term low current draw and starting batteries are not deep cycle compatible.

Just charge the phone or whatever items with the bikes charging system while you ride and leave the battery for starting the bike as it is designed for.

Just the advice of a EE here.

Our bikes have AGM batteries but yes, you are correct.

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
Our bikes have AGM batteries but yes, you are correct.

I checked this out the last time I had the seat off, my 2017 has a normal lead acid battery. Maybe North America bikes get an AGM battery?

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 02:24:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Marv_ [+]
I checked this out the last time I had the seat off, my 2017 has a normal lead acid battery. Maybe North America bikes get an AGM battery?

Possibly. My 2014 came with an AGM. When my battery went bad, I replaced it with a Scorpion AGM which is the same equivalent as the OE AGM and sold through www.batterystuff.com . The Honda replacement part number is 31500-MCJ-642AH and the parts distributor I deal with says it is a private brand Yusa P/N YTZ10S for Honda CB line up. When I run the Yusa P/N it comes back as AGM.  :027:

Our batteries lay on their side. It would be hard for a flooded lead-acid battery to do that unless it has some weird venting strategy.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:28:32 AM by EscCtrl »

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »
AGM stands for Absorbent Glass Mat.  It is a type of sealed lead acid battery designed for rough use.  It is commonly used in off road applications.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 01:14:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
AGM stands for Absorbent Glass Mat.  It is a type of sealed lead acid battery designed for rough use.  It is commonly used in off road applications.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Yes, that is true.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage