Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Will the 19" front wheel of the 2019 model fit on the earlier models?  (Read 955 times)

Offline einnocent

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Will the 19" front wheel of the 2019 model fit on the earlier models? That is, with little or no modification.

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
Re: Will the 19" front wheel of the 2019 model fit on the earlier models?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 10:31:12 PM »
Not.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 03:09:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by einnocent [+]
Will the 19" front wheel of the 2019 model fit on the earlier models? That is, with little or no modification.

No. The brake is smaller on the '19 and the ABS ring is different. Also, a 19-inch wheel will hit the radiator on pre '19 bike. Rally Raid uses a lowered top triple clamp along with fork mods to raise the suspension in the front to make room for the 19-inch wheel. Honda did the same thing for the '19 model.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:10:07 PM by EscCtrl »

Offline DJ

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
That is unfortunate.  I was planning to add the bigger wheel on my 2018.  Maybe get rid of abs and add the triple clamps and shocks? 

17 inch tire choices suck.

Offline mcpenenr

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X RR
  • City / Town: Wainwright
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 01:11:24 AM »
What about on a 2016 bike that already has stage two Rally Raid suspension on it? My bike has the RR suspension designed for the 19 inch front wheel but I still have the 17 inch wheel. I'd be happy if I could just get a 19 inch front wheel, spokes or cast, I don't care as I don't go fast off road and I don't ride single track.
"You can have what you like, if you like what you have."

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 04:09:55 AM »
Good job I saved this post as I seem to post it over and over again:

The #1 FAQ.

Ever since the announcement towards the end of 2018 that the new version of the X would feature a 19 front wheel as standard, the #1 FAQ has been will it fit on the earlier versions of the CB500X - in the same way as Rally-Raid Products were able to reengineer the front end and raise the suspension overall to accommodate their 17/19 spoked wheels

And the answer simply, is no - not without a series of fundamental component changes (those which Honda themselves incorporated) which would entail spending a lot of money on brand new parts from Honda, which really precludes a retrofittable conversion from a financial perspective.

(Along with the 2019 damper rods and springs) the new parts from Honda would have to include new top and bottom triple clamps (and associated risers/top clamp and suitable bars), new fork leg lowers, new axle and spacers, new abs ring, new 310mm front brake disc, new 19 front wheel, new 19 fender - never mind that in the case of the ABS models, the dramatic difference in front ABS sensor ring (now much smaller) would suggest there has also been some reprogramming of the ABS ECU too.

You would also have to consider that the 2019 fork internals and a 19" front wheel would lift the front of the bike at least 35-40mm, so youd really need to raise the rear of the bike a similar amount to keep the rake and trail figures similar, and in the case of the 2019 model parts - this includes a completely new shock, linkage and swing-arm. Once the bike was raised, youd also need to consider a longer side-stand too...

To summarise - while it is technically possible, it is not financially realistic using OEM Honda parts - particularly, since the 2019 bike is so new that you'd be limited to buying brand-new parts from Honda, and especially as you really need to alter the rear end too to match the new geometry of the front.

Ultimately, if you want the factory 19" front end, you'd be better off selling/trading your earlier bike and buying a 2019 model.

Hope that explains things...

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 04:12:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by mcpenenr [+]
What about on a 2016 bike that already has stage two Rally Raid suspension on it? My bike has the RR suspension designed for the 19 inch front wheel but I still have the 17 inch wheel. I'd be happy if I could just get a 19 inch front wheel, spokes or cast, I don't care as I don't go fast off road and I don't ride single track.

The 2019 OEM front wheel has different dimensions, along with all the fork lower components too - see post above - you can't fit it on the earlier forks.

If you want 17/19" wheels on your LEVEL 2 bike, you'd be better off just buying the Rally-Raid spoked wheels which bolt straight on.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Recent Topics